PDA

View Full Version : Chaeto suddenly dieing

richardhao
02/23/2012, 06:45 PM
My chaetomorpa was doing well for about 3 weeks then suddenly it was like melting, it became soft, not unlike when it was still ok it was like a scotch brite scrubbing pad texture. what could possibly be the reason? Tank parameters are:
no3 = undetectable (api test kit)
P04 = undetectable (api test kit)
Alk = 8
Ph = 8.2

im using a 23watts bulb to light it.

LefkoNJ
02/24/2012, 07:20 AM
My numbers are all clean:
PO4 zero
Nitrate zero
nitrite zero
Ammonia
PH 8.3

I have the same exact thing. My tank has been running for 6 months and Chaeto only lasts a few weeks and then disintegrates.

coonasssaint
02/24/2012, 07:24 AM
There is no nutrients to feed it.

drunkenmonk
02/24/2012, 07:54 AM
There is no nutrients to feed it.

+1 They need to have Nutrients to feed. You need to make sure you trim it down also, if it gets to big for your bioload it will suck up all the available Nutrients and begin to melt,

How long are your lights on? do you flip it or does it tumble on its own.
Every few days or so I will flip mine over or the bottom will die also.

chgoblknazn
02/24/2012, 01:00 PM
I did not know this. I assumed the chlorophyl would feed it as well.

LefkoNJ
02/24/2012, 02:46 PM
I thought it was a nutrient thing as well. No trimming required on mine as it is just too small.

Jmnazari
02/27/2012, 06:27 AM
This is strange! I abuse my chaeto and it's just fine! I have mine in a 1 gal container insided my DT (46gal.) I've had every good and bad condition you can imagine! My lights are just 2 t5s, one bright blue the other a true actinic. My salt goes to 1.030 about once a month, my pH just bounce back from 7.8 to 8.3, I've had some ammonia to no ammonia, 60ppm nitrates and 0 nitrates, and I can't remember the last time I did a water change! My chaeto won't die, won't even lose color on the underside and it's PACKED tight in that 1gl.

This leaves me with only 3 ideas on what's killing the chaeto....
1: A disease or chemical that hasn't been narrowed down
2: The chaeto is becoming hypotonic, as if too much freshwater was bothering the chaeto, maybe it's right next to an ATO.
3: It's a variety of cheato that is not meant for reef tanks, and since different chaeto sp. are found all over the world, it is possible that this is a case of mistaken identity.

Brian DeGolier
03/01/2012, 08:50 PM
Gotta make sure the bulbs are still strong. I have read that a dim light is okay, but I've been reading lately on RC that this is not true, you need strong light, or even try red light. My 5000K spiral PC's lose their brightness after 3 months and if I don't change them out, the algae gets super nasty. Even in a ULN system, nitrate is constantly being produced, but eaten up quickly by algae and DSB, etc., so I don't think that you're starving your chaeto, there's usually enough to go around. The water flowing through the chaeto in a refugium I think is far more effective than a DSB. I just posted a similar question where I was considering an algae turf scrubber, I've been persuaded to keep the refugium. Also, sometimes I just start over with a nice healthy clump of chaeto, but it's hit or miss finding some good stuff at the LFS. good luck

Sonny408
03/06/2012, 01:00 AM
mine did the same but i was told to make sure the water flow is very very slow.

j.p. harrington
03/06/2012, 11:18 PM
ppl have different opinions on chaeto i personally run a very nice fuge with caupera prolifera/razor/fern/grape and chaeto i have low flow and 1 spiral 18w bulb ive had on it for almost 2 years and all mine florish they take turns dominating the fuge. my chaeto set in the corner looking dead for about 1 year and now its going crazy once again who knows the cause of this as nothing has changed at all about my system

genxson
03/11/2012, 05:32 PM
From what i learn cheato like slow flow and low light