PDA

View Full Version : moving mushroom coral?

foundnemo11
02/24/2012, 03:28 PM
hey I just re arranged my live rock in my tank to make it so the fish can swim threw better and some hiding spots for others. I noticed that my single mushroom coral is in the shade a little. The rock is at the bottom of the structure and is huge so moving it is impossible.

My question is, is there a safe way for me to relocate the mushroom coral to a new spot? I am not sure what kind it is exactly but it is maroon and flat. I would like to put it on a spot with a lot of light so maybe it can grow and reproduce.

THANKS !

RtReef
02/24/2012, 03:36 PM
It sounds like you are describing a red mushroom. These populate super fast and can spring up all over your tank. I have a whole colony and every few weeks I will find one that has detached itself. You can try to dig under it, where it's attached at the base rock, with maybe a flat head screw driver or a knife.

xCry0x
02/24/2012, 03:58 PM
If they are unhappy they will detatch and float somewhere else kind of like an anemone from my experience. I bought a frag that had two on it, a week later the second had left and attached itself to the other side of the tank.