PDA

View Full Version : 125g Fish stocking list

saltysailor2329
02/24/2012, 10:07 PM
Ok so I am cycling my 125g right now with a 40g breeder sump/refugium and I wanted some critique on my potential fish list. I will be keeping mostly lps and softies with a few sps. Running a SWC 160 extreme cone skimmer. 3 x 250 and 2 x 150 HQI MH lights. Running a dual BRS reactor with GFO and carbon. Two MP40s for flow.

So here is the list:

Only 1 of the following:

Powder blue tang
White check tang
Powder brown tang

Rest of the list:

Bartlett's Anthias x 3
Lawn blower blenny x 1
Spotted cardinal x 3
Humu humu x 1 (already have)
Fox face x 1 (already have)
Diamond watchman goby x 1 (already have)
Melanarus wrasse x 1

I open to all suggestion, critiques, etc.

Thanks

Reefing Newbie
02/24/2012, 10:24 PM
Ok so I am cycling my 125g right now with a 40g breeder sump/refugium and I wanted some critique on my potential fish list. I will be keeping mostly lps and softies with a few sps. Running a SWC 160 extreme cone skimmer. 3 x 250 and 2 x 150 HQI MH lights. Running a dual BRS reactor with GFO and carbon. Two MP40s for flow.

So here is the list:

Only 1 of the following:

Powder blue tang
White check tang
Powder brown tang I suggest this tang. They are probably the easiest of the options you have provided to care for.

Rest of the list:

Bartlett's Anthias x 3 No personal experience with these, but I have heard that they don't last long with more than one(like chromis seem to do)
Lawn blower blenny x 1
Spotted cardinal x 3
Humu humu x 1 (already have) Will get too big for your tank. They really need 8ft tanks IMO(bigger always being better)
Fox face x 1 (already have)
Diamond watchman goby x 1 (already have)
Melanarus wrasse x 1

I open to all suggestion, critiques, etc.

Thanks

My comments/suggestions are in blue. I would say that you should stay away from a tang if you are going to keep the humu humu and the fox face. A 125 isn't quite big enough for more than two larger sized fish.

saltysailor2329
02/24/2012, 10:48 PM
I'm surprised with your comment about the anthias maybe not surprised but I had never heard this before. I have seen many tanks with multiple anthias with no problems. Obviously I see that you say you have no experience with these fish and everyones experience is different so I'm definitely curious to hear others opinions.

saltysailor2329
02/24/2012, 10:50 PM
By the way the powder brown is my first choice and the powder blue is my wife's first choice...so thank you for that. LOL!

Reefing Newbie
02/24/2012, 10:50 PM
It is with Bartlett's anthias in particular (should have clarified that) from what I have heard. Lyretails, resplendents, dispars, ignitus, square, and carberryi are great fish for groups. There are other anthias of course, these are the ones off the top of my mind. From what I have heard it is bartlett's anthias that windle themselves down to just one eventually. Some have luck, and others don't. Just a heads up!

saltysailor2329
02/24/2012, 11:06 PM
Great info. Thanks and I appreciate it. On a side note...why do you say 8' for a humu humu? Everything I read says a 70g. Did you say that because of the tang or just in general needing an 8' tank?

saltysailor2329
02/24/2012, 11:10 PM
It is with Bartlett's anthias in particular (should have clarified that) from what I have heard. Lyretails, resplendents, dispars, ignitus, square, and carberryi are great fish for groups. There are other anthias of course, these are the ones off the top of my mind. From what I have heard it is bartlett's anthias that windle themselves down to just one eventually. Some have luck, and others don't. Just a heads up!

Looks like I might have to change the xanthias choice to the family of Serranidae. Otherwise known as evansi xanthias. Looks very similar to the bartletts. Have you heard anything about this part of the xanthias family?

Reefing Newbie
02/24/2012, 11:27 PM
Great info. Thanks and I appreciate it. On a side note...why do you say 8' for a humu humu? Everything I read says a 70g. Did you say that because of the tang or just in general needing an 8' tank?

In general they need large tanks. They are very active. I got worn out watching one in a large cylinder tank a few months back. It was literally cruising around the outside edge of the tank for at least half an hour. No stopping or anything! Couldn't imagine what that would have been like had it been a full grown adult (it was about 3").

I don't know much about evansi other than they are a more difficult anthia to care for than others. Make sure you do your research on them and are prepared to get into raising your own food for awhile. Others with experience should chime it sometime. They will probably give you a good idea of what they need.

saltysailor2329
02/24/2012, 11:32 PM
Thanks for the great info. On a side note...are you a Greatful Dead fan? Just ask because of the Sugar Magnolia comment.

Reefing Newbie
02/24/2012, 11:34 PM
No it was a quote from one of her Lounge threads. I spoke logic in the Lounge :lol:

saltysailor2329
02/25/2012, 09:14 AM
I see. Thanks for all the info.

saltysailor2329
02/26/2012, 10:12 AM
Any other thoughts from anyone? I would appreciate input. Thanks.