PDA

View Full Version : just curous as to what is an optimum temp for acros?

brob22
02/24/2012, 10:13 PM
i keep mine at 76 and was wondering if i should raise it up or just leave it alone

Reef264
02/24/2012, 10:45 PM
I run mine at 78F.Its hard to say what's the "best" temperature for SPS, reason being, Some SPS are at depths that are well below 76 degrees, and some are in waters shallow, that are above 80 degrees.So it's hard to satisfy each Piece.

With that said, I think it's mostly personal opinion on what is optimal, because different tanks get different growth from different temperatures.

Reef264
02/24/2012, 10:46 PM
McDouble post!

gonpostal
02/24/2012, 10:57 PM
Here's (http://petersfishtank.com/best-practices/#w.temp) a good article regarding temperature. I keep mine at 80, but it gets up to around 84+ sometimes in the summer. Here's a quote from the article:
A friend of mine was in Indonesia recently and he reports that the maricultured (ocean farmed) SPS are in 90°F water. Coral growth ceases at 76°F, so 77°F is at the bottom margin of their range. 93°F is the top of their range, so 84-86°F (low/high) is somewhere in the middle. 84°F is also the reported level for best growth/health.

nonstopfishies
02/24/2012, 11:07 PM
A friend of mine was in Indonesia recently and he reports that the maricultured (ocean farmed) SPS are in 90°F water. Coral growth ceases at 76°F, so 77°F is at the bottom margin of their range. 93°F is the top of their range, so 84-86°F (low/high) is somewhere in the middle. 84°F is also the reported level for best growth/health.

Problem with this is that it is only one location. Most people do not have a single biotope reef and corals are coming from places all over the world. That is just one example of where corals do well.

brob22
02/24/2012, 11:19 PM
thanks for the help guys

ill probly try to raise it to 79 or 80

dzhuo
02/24/2012, 11:57 PM
i keep mine at 76 and was wondering if i should raise it up or just leave it alone

76F is a bit low.

There is no genetically set optimum temperature for SPS. The peak calcification is observed just a couple degrees below of the corals' acclimated temperature range. Most (~95%) corals and fish we keep come from Indo-Pacific with a summer temperature average around 82F and winter time average about 78F. Thus, most corals will reach a maximum rate of calcification between 80F on the low end and 84-86F on the high end. If you are trying to maximize grow, it makes absolutely no sense to keep the tank below 80F.

tetris
02/25/2012, 01:03 AM
thanks for the help guys

ill probly try to raise it to 79 or 80

If your corals are used to a temperature of 76 and you raise it, they will likely take a while to get used to the bumped up average temperature... Resulting in little to no growth for a while. 76 is a fine temperature for SPS. There's no reason to change it. You won't see any increased growth or color from raising it... other than the initial halting of growth from the temperature change.

acroholicreefer
02/25/2012, 09:21 AM
Temperature swings are a much bigger concern than a particular temperature reading, to some degree. I've kept acros between ranges of 76 F to 83 F over the years. Photosynthetic Rates increase as temperature increases.

The normal temperature range on my system during the cold months is between 77 F to 78 F.