PDA

View Full Version : Soft corals... do they prefer dirty conditions?

CynicalCnidaria
02/26/2012, 01:33 AM
So I have been under the thought for a while that dirty tank conditions are optimal for things like mushrooms, zoanthids, leathers etc.

I have heard many people support this theory too.

So is it optimal for softies if you run without a skimmer then? and do no water changes? and go for a dirty tank?

I was curious what you guys think. Anyone here go without a skimmer before?

and if not: what are the best conditions for softies?

caradame
02/28/2012, 04:46 PM
I've been running my 110 gal soft coral dominated reef for about 8 months now and the corals seem to be doing great (reproducing/spreading). I do have a sump with microalgea/live rock/8 mangrove trees, that seem to be doing part of what a protein skimmer does. If you do have a skimmer, don't run it all the time. Get a schedule you feel comfortable with (run for 4 to 5 consecutive days then don't for 2 to 3 days).

Radioheadx14
02/29/2012, 11:54 AM
I had softies in a 90g tank that i kept very clean a while back and got some growth. I went away for 6 months and my brother looked after my tank, doing minimal WCs and rarely cleaning the skimmer... I had several times more growth in 6 months than the previous 2 years.

Now i am trying a sumpless, skimmerless tank w/ only current and a little carbon to keep the water clear. So far so good. Chalice has exploded w/ growth.

I don't think they like a dirty tank as in high nitrates and phosphates etc, but dirty tanks tend to hve more food for them.