PDA

View Full Version : Do I remove SPS from plug before gluing?

sjnovakovich
02/26/2012, 09:06 AM
I purchased a birds nest frag a little over a week ago and its doing well so I am ready to glue it into place using epoxy and super glue gel. I got confused when reading the directions on the epoxy, though. It implies that I should glue the coral frag itself, and not the plug to the rock.

The frag is on a plastic plug, not one of the typical rock/porcelain plugs.

Should I remove the frag from the plug and if so, how do I do that? Or, should I glue the plug to the rock?

I think its important to glue it into place soon because its been knocked over by either a snail or crab already.

Agioniko
02/26/2012, 09:34 AM
Doesn't matter. I drill my rock so I put the frag plugs in the holes when I glue them. It is much easier that way. Birds nests are tough because they don't encrust

jmadison
02/26/2012, 09:45 AM
Is it an ORA type plastic plug? If so take a pair of plyers and squeeze the base of the plug really good and then turn qtr turn and repeat. This should pop the frag loose and then yes just glue base of actual coral in place. Much cleaner, less tacky look to not have all those plugs in there.

Sun357
02/26/2012, 10:20 AM
Some people leave them on plugs and glue the plug because it's easier to 'move' the whole thing later.

I'd use the advice above if you want to remove them. =)

~Fred

Palting
02/26/2012, 11:04 AM
I hate plastic, so I usually pop them if that's what they come in. OTOH, it probably does not make a difference. Over time, the plug will be covered with either algae or the coral itself and will be indistinguishable.

greengeco82
02/26/2012, 04:54 PM
I break off the stem and glue it to the rock. Its less stress for your sps, then breaking him away and regluing