PDA

View Full Version : colonial hydroids

EvilE
02/26/2012, 08:17 PM
I have a 55 gallon tank that that has about 70 pounds of LR, and various soft corals (zoas etc.). I have been real bad about the water changes lately (since we had our little boy, who is now 10 months old). Anyways, I have been getting alot of red slime cyano all over and noticed I have tons of clusters of colonial hydroids now too.:angryfire: Also a couple aiptasia. The red slime and aiptasia I can deal with, but the hydroids are taking over a bunch of rock, and mixing themselves with my zoas. What do I do? Wait it out? Lots of water changes? Please gimme some help, I dont wanna have to start over, if I do have to I will just break it down and be done.:(

ritter6788
02/27/2012, 10:44 AM
What kind of foods are you feeding? I only notice hydroids when I feed coral foods like Reef Chili or Coral Frenzy. If I stop feeding these foods the hydroids slowly die off.

heckeng
02/27/2012, 03:04 PM
Hit them with boiling water from a turkey baster. Works for me.

mussel and hate
02/27/2012, 03:25 PM
I don't know why people dislike hydroids so. They never caused any harm in my tanks and now that they're gone I miss them a bit.

If you want to get rid of them I suggest you add a Mithrax Sculptus(Emerald crab). I watched my Emerald crab eradicate my hydroid population in the matter of 2 or 3 weeks. Nobody seems to have discussed Mithrax as a jelly predator on RC but I have observed it personally. There seem to be fewer spinunculans and other worms active in my tank now. I can only speculate that the crab ate them as well.

EvilE
02/27/2012, 10:09 PM
I don't know why people dislike hydroids so. They never caused any harm in my tanks and now that they're gone I miss them a bit.

If you want to get rid of them I suggest you add a Mithrax Sculptus(Emerald crab). I watched my Emerald crab eradicate my hydroid population in the matter of 2 or 3 weeks. Nobody seems to have discussed Mithrax as a jelly predator on RC but I have observed it personally. There seem to be fewer spinunculans and other worms active in my tank now. I can only speculate that the crab ate them as well.

I wouldnt mind a few here and there, they are kinda cool, but every effing rock? It seems they are snuffing out my zoas..... I dont like that. Pretty soon, I'll just have my 2 RBTA's, fish, LR, shrooms and Hydroids!! Oh and the LOVELY red slime cyano:worried:

AFRobert568
02/27/2012, 11:00 PM
I had some hydroids all over my 20H and I was advised that they will eventually go away when their food is gone. Do you see any of your zoo’s or coral affected by them? Maybe once you resolve your cyano/aptasia problem these will begin to reduce.

mussel and hate
02/28/2012, 03:02 PM
Mine didn't go away on there own over a period of two decades. The crab ate em all in less than a month.

mussel and hate
02/28/2012, 03:04 PM
My hydroids persisted for over two decades and after my latest crash were the dominant species next to cyano. The crab ate em all in less than a month. YMMV but all I can tell you is what I've observed.

EvilE
02/28/2012, 07:44 PM
Mine didn't go away on there own over a period of two decades. The crab ate em all in less than a month.

So.... I need an emerald crab eh??