PDA

View Full Version : frozen vs. freeze dried, talk to me about it.

foo_dog
02/26/2012, 10:04 PM
i like to feed my fish a ton of different things and i have some flake and pellet in an auto feeder for during the day (i have a blotched anthias, so he needs to eat multiple times a day, plus i have read 3 times a day is preferred to feed)

one of those times i feed frozen food but have seen most of what i feed in freeze dried form, which means i could add some of it to my dry mix that is in the auto feed and save a bit on shipping.

is there a reason why most go with frozen over freeze dried?

less phosphates?
less nutrients?
people have fish that eat it?
or anyting else?

all info would be awesome.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk

LobsterOfJustice
02/26/2012, 11:49 PM
freeze dried floats so its a pain to use

foo_dog
02/26/2012, 11:53 PM

even if you soaked it first? i usually saok food in garlic and selco and it woild be easy to take a bit of tank water and put it in there.

are there other reasons or is that it?

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/27/2012, 07:10 AM
IMO, freeze dried cyclopeeze is a lot easier to add than frozen. I just sprinkle it into the last section of my sump. As it hydrates and sinks, it gets sucked into the main tank, spreading out the feeding time for the fish.

You can also use a feeding ring for dried foods, if you feed the tank directly. :)

Ron Reefman
02/27/2012, 07:19 AM
I have freeze dried brine shrimp, bloodworms and tubifex and they all float and are very slow to hydrate. I use them for variety, but the fish don't seem to care for them as much as frozen or live food. I've been feeding live blackworms for the past few months (every 3rd or 4th day) and all the carnivores go crazy for them. And they are really easy to keep in a tupperware tray in the fridge.

doctorgori
02/27/2012, 08:28 AM
I've been feeding live blackworms for the past few months (every 3rd or 4th day) and all the carnivores go crazy for them. And they are really easy to keep in a tupperware tray in the fridge.

^this...a very underrated food IMHO...nothing I've used brings on breeding conditon faster....

...I have kept blackworms in a 10gal or tote container on the basement floor co-cultured with moina for months...the stip being: lots of air (I BLAST them) and the temp being under 72ish...a raw potato slice and a few flakes in the water didn't hurt

ek9vboi
02/27/2012, 10:18 AM
I usually mix the cyclop eeze with frozen mysis along with garlic. Works great and they eat every bit of it.

snorvich
02/27/2012, 10:41 AM

Amen to that. Which is why I use frozen.

snorvich
02/27/2012, 10:43 AM
IMO, freeze dried cyclopeeze is a lot easier to add than frozen. I just sprinkle it into the last section of my sump. As it hydrates and sinks, it gets sucked into the main tank, spreading out the feeding time for the fish.

Great idea. I have to try it.

etepperman
02/27/2012, 11:10 AM
Frozen, almost useless. Has little nurturance - Fish love it

Freeze Dried, great full of nurturance – Never had a fish that would touch the stuff.