PDA

View Full Version : Scolymia Vomiting?

CuttleKid
02/27/2012, 07:51 PM
So i purchased my first scoly on saturday. I tried to feed it today. i put a chunk of silverside on its body and it at it within 15 minutes. I went down to check on the tank it seems that it is vomiting or spitting it back up. Is this normal? I dont think it sounds normal but it is still looking good. Is it possible the piece was too big for it to consume?

Thanks

CuttleKid
02/27/2012, 07:57 PM
Now it seems to be trying to reconsume it. What is happening? I may be freaking out over nothing, but since this is my first scoly i want to make sure im doing everything possible to allow it to thrive.

greech
02/27/2012, 08:01 PM
How big of a SS did you feed it? I know some feed their scolys big chunks of food but I have found that mine seem to prefer a healthy squirt of mysis covering the mouth area. I think they have a hard time digesting a big chunk of food and that you stand a better chance of a bacterial infection if the food rots while the coral is trying to digest it.

CuttleKid
02/27/2012, 08:10 PM
it was probably 1/4 cube of SS. But i removed it after you mentioned about the bacterial infection.

greech
02/27/2012, 09:12 PM
They can be a little stubborn to get started eating in a new tank but once they get going they become complete pigs. may want to look at it a little while after the lights go out. You shoudl see it invert a little and spread its feeders. You could gently squirt some mysis towards it at that point and it should grab the shrimp pretty quick. Mine get fed 2 to 3 times a week and mine pretty much respond to food hitting water now. If not, a squirt of food their way typically gets them going. Killing the flow in the tank until they open up will also help.

Congrats on the new scoly! They are great corals.

sqwat
02/28/2012, 12:11 PM
allways use minced foods never chunks they have a very hard time digesting it

CuttleKid
02/28/2012, 06:44 PM
Thanks guys.

buk
02/29/2012, 01:04 PM
i always prefer smaller chunks of food myself. my corals seem to like smaller chunks and grow better because they use less energy not having to break down the large pieces. plus there is less possibility of them getting hurt by tearing tissues and having the large pieces of food pushing on the skeleton and tissue.