PDA

View Full Version : Picking out live rock

ken55
02/28/2012, 08:19 AM
As life would have it, I have more time than money. So I'm going to try the "dry rock and seed it with good live rock" approach for my needed rocks.

So, when I'm at the lfs all the rock looks pretty much the same to me. I'm not really sure which ones are the "good ones". None of them have anything more than what looks to be algea on them (most appear to have nothing at all) and they look nothing like the pictures I'm seeing of other people's tanks.

Any hints on picking out some good pieces?

Also, 50+ puonds of this would overflow my current small tank. Is it acceptable to put the new stuff in the garage in a rubbermaid container with a leftover HOB filter and a heater?

Thank You, Ken :reading:

faisal629
02/28/2012, 08:24 AM
I would recommend look for local reefers on craigslist or something, they will deff have better quality live rock then most LFS and a fraction of the cost (huge difference). I think the rock you are trying to look for is live rock covered with coraline.

active
02/28/2012, 08:43 AM
i kind of have a question along these lines - not trying to jack your thread -
i have been told by a few people that most of the live rock that you buy on line or in your lfs is mostly cement that was placed in the ocean to cure into live rock - is that what they refer to as aqua curing - it seems that prices are all over the board for rock - 1 place says 50 pounds shipped 85.00 another says 50 pounds shipped 250.00 - but how can you tell what your getting - is there something to look for when buying - im in need of some rock too and was going to seed dry rock with some nice rock from a friends tank

faisal629
02/28/2012, 09:00 AM
There is man made live rock, it. Comes in color as well, im starting off with all dry rock and like 2-3 piece of live rock to seed it (don't want any possibility of critters) getting rock shipped will have some die off on the rock but should be fine if it's from a trustworthy source, honestly I would never pay more the $3/lb for any live rock, it's just not worth it for me, eventually all rock will turn live just have patience. In my opinion if you want safe critter free cured live rock look for local reefers getting out of the hobby, if you get lucky sometimes people are even giving it away for free in Chicago sometimes.

ken55
02/28/2012, 09:02 AM
i kind of have a question along these lines - not trying to jack your thread -
i have been told by a few people that most of the live rock that you buy on line or in your lfs is mostly cement that was placed in the ocean to cure into live rock - is that what they refer to as aqua curing - it seems that prices are all over the board for rock - 1 place says 50 pounds shipped 85.00 another says 50 pounds shipped 250.00 - but how can you tell what your getting - is there something to look for when buying - im in need of some rock too and was going to seed dry rock with some nice rock from a friends tank

No offense taken... we seem to be in the same boat :wavehand: