PDA

View Full Version : Gonodactylus smithii ...

instinkt
07/12/2003, 08:49 PM
After having my mantis for a few weeks now, I only just IDed him as a G. smithii, and so now I'm hoping to find out as much information as I can about him. Such as, the max size he could get to, and thus the min size tank he should be in. How much light he would like/need. And anything else that could prove to be interesting or useful.
Anyone with input?

kalim
07/12/2003, 09:16 PM
well, here's a quote from gonodactylus:

"Maximum size for a G. smithii is around 9 cm. Most don't make it past 7 or 8 cm. Maximum age is only a guess, but I would say 6 or 7."

Gonodactylus
07/14/2003, 12:30 AM
Lighting for G. smithii is simple. They can take anything from bright full spectrum to dim blue. This species is common on the intertidal reef flats of Southeast Asia and Austrailia where you can often find it running round in a couple of inches of water in the middle of the day. However, we sometimes also collect these guys from 20 m. At this depth, they are usually maroon colored. Anyway, any lighting should be fine as long as they have a dark cavity to retreat into.

Roy

instinkt
07/14/2003, 02:00 AM
Thanks guys. Looks like my setup is fine for him, although I can hear him bashing on the bottom of the tank (hes tunneled through the sand to the bottom) and I'm a little worried about him breaking through. Although it doesn't sound too loud and he seems to be about max size now, so I'm guessing it wont be too much of a problem.
When I get the rest of my setup worked out, I may lay something in the bottom of the tank that will take the shock out of his blows.

Gonodactylus
07/14/2003, 08:11 AM
No worries about a G. smithii breaking out.

They just don't have the fire power.

Roy

instinkt
07/14/2003, 06:25 PM
Yay, that's a relief. Thanx!