PDA

View Full Version : Beefy purple crab?

fdonophan
02/28/2012, 12:46 PM
I've known this guy was in my tank for a while, but couldn't get a clear view. I finally caught him about a half hour ago ripping legs off an emerald crab.

Anybody know what it is? He's quite pretty really, but I already know he's not "reef-safe" - that's been quite obvious from my dead hermits and small fish. Just curious what he actually is?

In the sump he goes, regardless!!

This isn't my thread, but it's the only picture I can find of the same crab.
http://www.reefs.org/forums/topic125830.html

zachfishman
02/28/2012, 07:43 PM
Looks a lot like a stone crab, just darker. You should do a taste test!

RobsReefs407
02/28/2012, 07:46 PM
Looks like a stone crab to me too when they are small the have that purpleish color and one claw is always bigger then the other

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

kyroguy
02/28/2012, 08:00 PM
Not sure on exactly what type of crab it is by I had one like that in a 28 gallon reef. It was BIG! It lived for 5 or so years and never caused any problems. I would put the algae sheets that most people use to feed tangs on the end of a stick and lower it down to the crab. It would aggressively pursue the sheet and rip it off the stick before devouring it completely.

I don't know where it originally came from, it hitchhiked in at some point. Finally just didn't come out anymore so I assume that if passed from old age.

fdonophan
02/29/2012, 08:49 AM
Looks about right! He's a cute little thing, but I'm not thrilled with him picking off my CUC. He can live in the fuge with my ginormous hermit crab - also banished due to destructive tendencies.