PDA

View Full Version : LED or T5 if I want to suspend lights?

f3honda4me
02/29/2012, 01:14 PM
I've been doing a lot of searching, reading, and research and I'm trying to determine if LED or T5 are better if I want to suspend my lights 9-12" from the surface of my 48" wide 75g tank. I haven't been able to find any direct comparisons. I'm basically looking at either the aquaticlife T5 6 bulb fixture with ATI bulbs, or getting radion XR30Ws.

thegrun
02/29/2012, 01:26 PM
I haven't seen a lot of LED mounts that rest directly on the rim of the tank (if I understand your question correctly). I built my own bracket to hold my Aqua Illuminations fixture that mounts to my cabinet. there are several T-5 fixtures designed to rest on the tank rim.

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu262/greenirons/50Cube002.jpg
http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu262/greenirons/50Cubelights016.jpg

f3honda4me
02/29/2012, 01:44 PM
Regardless of which fixture I pick, I'm going to use ceiling mounted suspension kit so nothing will actually be physically on the tank or tank rim. I want the lights to be 9-12" above the surface of the water (I don't have a hood) so I'm trying to determine if LED or the aquaticlife fixture will work best.

greech
02/29/2012, 01:51 PM
I don't think there will be too much of a diffence in mounting these since you have already decided they will be anchored in the ceiling. For a 4' tank, your likely looking at 2 Radions versus the one T5 fixture so you will either need to brace the 2 radions together so you can use one set of mounts or mount each fixture separately. Quite a contrast in fixtures. Have you considered the standard or dimmable ATI T5s in lieu of the aquaticlife?

f3honda4me
02/29/2012, 02:05 PM
I don't think there will be too much of a diffence in mounting these since you have already decided they will be anchored in the ceiling. For a 4' tank, your likely looking at 2 Radions versus the one T5 fixture so you will either need to brace the 2 radions together so you can use one set of mounts or mount each fixture separately. Quite a contrast in fixtures. Have you considered the standard or dimmable ATI T5s in lieu of the aquaticlife?

You mean this one?

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluorescent/ATI/Dimmable_SunPower_Fixtures/48_inch__6x54W_Dimmable_SunPower_T5_High-Output_Fixture_w!_Controller_by_ATI

I was hoping to have a moonlight LED feature.

Meshmez
02/29/2012, 02:15 PM
The only thing I can think of is at that height the T5's might "spill" more light out of the tank than LED's with proper optics. It also seems to me that T5's need to be closer in order to get the light intensity through the water, where the LED can be "focused" with optics. I have no proof to this, but I picture it that way.

greech
02/29/2012, 02:27 PM
The only thing I can think of is at that height the T5's might "spill" more light out of the tank than LED's with proper optics. It also seems to me that T5's need to be closer in order to get the light intensity through the water, where the LED can be "focused" with optics. I have no proof to this, but I picture it that way.

^Good point. Something to consider is if you get a high end T5 fixture and suspend it off the water 10", you may be able to use a 36" fixture on a 48" tank.

Understood on wanting the moonlights. I have a Current Sundial myself which has automated and built in moonlights as well as built in timers (all with only 1 power cord). Very convienient! The light that this fixture kicks out is nothing compared to an ATI though. I'm not talking PAR/intensity (although that is definitely increased) either, just the spectrum and crispness of the light that is produced makes for a prettier tank. Guess what I'm saying is convenience is nice but typically, there will be a drop off in quailty of the light produced.

Anyway, I got this thread off topic enough already. Your question was about mounting and not comparing T5s. Sorry for the derailment :).

f3honda4me
03/01/2012, 08:57 AM
No need to apologize. I'm still new at this, and appreciate any opportunity to learn more.

Yea hanging height is important to me for the overall look of the tank. So at this point I'm not going to go with aquaticlife, but I do miss that I won't have LED. I could do a DIY LED thing but I'm not keen on that.

So it's between ATI fixture then (48" 6 bulb I'm thinking?) or 2 of the radions. I also have some concern about the bulb life of T5's though on the dimmable unit. Laws of physics says that those bulbs won't last as long even after "burn in" time, which I guess increases my cost in the long run.

One other thing I like with the radions is if I upgrade tanks in the future, I just add another radion. Heh, I feel like I'm starting to talk myself into the radion. Someone stop me from dropping $1500. :p

cjk76
03/01/2012, 09:41 AM
I have the Mazzaras and love them. For a 48" you could use 3 or 4 modules. Mostly personal preference. I am using 2 on my 48" 55g, but have my optics set at 100 degrees. You would probably want to do 40 degrees to get the light down to the tank from 9-12" in the air.

There are also some great LED spotlight-like tank lights. I can't remember any off the top of my head. They would be a great choice and could be hung even higher in the air.