PDA

View Full Version : skimmer pump as return pump

Lost_Punk
02/29/2012, 03:43 PM
Greetings everyone. i am in the process of building a sump tank for my 55 gal at a very low budget. i have a really crappy skimmer that i want to dismantle and use the pump as a return pump from the sump. think this is something i can do? i know i'm probably not going to get a ton of flow from it but i just want to get my skimmer and HOB filter off my display tank. will this work?

nanojg
02/29/2012, 03:43 PM
What pump? You will probably have to change the impeller

Lost_Punk
02/29/2012, 03:46 PM
it is a maxi-jet 1200. think this will have enough to push water up 5 feet?

nanojg
02/29/2012, 03:49 PM
it is a maxi-jet 1200. think this will have enough to push water up 5 feet?

It might be able to push a few drops of water up 5 feet, not much more than that.

Lost_Punk
02/29/2012, 03:52 PM
any suggestions? need something that will fit inside of a 10-15 gallon tank, with some cheato and a skimmer.

jacksonpt
02/29/2012, 03:54 PM
Look in the classifieds for a small mag pump.

nanojg
02/29/2012, 04:54 PM
marine depot is having 10% off everything right now, code is leapyear i think, check out their sponsor forum.

How much flow do you want, what size do you want, what is your budget?

Chondro 5
02/29/2012, 05:16 PM
For $34 shipped you can get this 600 gph pump--I use them on my 50 gallon and they are really quiet.

http://www.amazon.com/Viaaqua-2300-600-Submersible-Pump/dp/B003OYCS5E

Lost_Punk
03/01/2012, 03:59 PM
bought a mag 7 last night. decided to pay a little extra for a decent one. thanks

Reddevil258
03/01/2012, 04:06 PM
It is always better to have a good pump! Mag 7 are real realiable! Plus you can always repurpose it

Lost_Punk
03/04/2012, 07:20 AM
well then what about using the old skimmer pump as my suction from the tank to the sump? would it have enough suck to pull down 5 feet?

Rybren
03/04/2012, 07:28 AM
well then what about using the old skimmer pump as my suction from the tank to the sump? would it have enough suck to pull down 5 feet?

You don't want to have a pump sucking water from the DT to the sump. That's just a disaster waiting to happen.

You'll need some type of gravity fed overflow, either by drilling the tank (best choice) or using a HOB overflow.

jkcoon
03/04/2012, 07:31 AM

Pumps don't generally have much "suck" power, so if the intent is to put it in your sump and have it suck water down, that's a non-starter.

The other issue with this plan is that you would have to match the return rate of the Mag7 to the rate of the 1200. In all reality, this is highly unlikely and the flow of each pump would slightly change over time as they get dirty.

The proper use of a sump and return pump configuration is to have an overflow that is larger than your return pump and have the water return by gravity. For example, my 120 has two 3/4" returns and 2 1" drains. To do this, you will require either a U-shape overflow pipe or by drilling the tank. The u-shape overflows have a tendency to loose siphon on occasion which if it isn't gravity feeding the sump but the Mag7 is still running, you see the issue. This makes the second option - drilling an overflow, more desirable. However, if you tank is not currently drilled (which it sounds like its not), you will want to ensure the glass is not tempered before drilling.

Hope this helps! I'd suggest doing a little more research and choosign the option that is best for you... as always the RC community will be here to help

Sonny408
03/04/2012, 10:56 AM
you can;t go wrong with a mag 7 pump.

Lost_Punk
03/04/2012, 02:04 PM
the tank is not drilled and it is up and running. i bought a set up with fish, sand and LR. i added a bunch of new salt water and i'm waiting to see if it cycles before i buy any more fish for it. i'm going to go with a U-Pipe and i've read about drilling a small hole to cut the suction off so it doesn't keep draining the tank. i also plan on running a ball valve in line with the return line so i can limit the return so it keeps up with the siphoning.

my thought was to have the old 1200 in the display tank sucking the water up about 4 inches then over the back of the tank and down to the sump. i could then restrict the mag 7 for the way back up so the 2 were about the same. if i loose power then both should turn off. once i get power back both turn back on.

E46er
03/04/2012, 03:05 PM
over time the impellers will have calcium build up and may not restart- of the maxi jet starts and the mag 7 doesnt you will flood your house

GrampaDon
03/04/2012, 07:27 PM
the tank is not drilled and it is up and running. i bought a set up with fish, sand and LR. i added a bunch of new salt water and i'm waiting to see if it cycles before i buy any more fish for it. i'm going to go with a U-Pipe and i've read about drilling a small hole to cut the suction off so it doesn't keep draining the tank. i also plan on running a ball valve in line with the return line so i can limit the return so it keeps up with the siphoning.

my thought was to have the old 1200 in the display tank sucking the water up about 4 inches then over the back of the tank and down to the sump. i could then restrict the mag 7 for the way back up so the 2 were about the same. if i loose power then both should turn off. once i get power back both turn back on.

No way will this work.^^^^^It will likely cause a bunch of water on the floor.

In order to use a sump [great idea BTW] you must drill a hole and install a overflow box. Or use a hang on the back type overflow box. Check your local LFS for better explanations on exactly what is needed. < And then buy it from him.
Why??? because you need someone to walk you through this ,and his time isnt free. And later when you need more help on other things they will be there.
Plzzzz take my advice about the LFS.

06bug
03/04/2012, 07:52 PM
I agree with GrandpaDon. Don.t take this as an insult, but it seams like you are going about this blind. Take the valuable advice from this board, but more valuable advice from someone you can speak to in person....ie your local fish store.

Lost_Punk
03/04/2012, 08:44 PM
my LFS sucks balls. they are a general pet shop that happens to have fish. next option is about an hour away.

cordell
03/05/2012, 07:34 AM
i'm going to go with a U-Pipe and i've read about drilling a small hole to cut the suction off so it doesn't keep draining the tank.

You may be confusing the "U-pipe" with what some people use on the return
line into the display tank. You cannot use a U-pipe by itself to siphon water down into your sump. Why? Because when the power goes out, the siphon tube will eventually lose siphon (hopefully). When power kicks back on, the siphon doesn't restart and your display tank floods. As mentioned already, you must either drill the tank (which can be done with the tank already setup, with some effort and care), or use a hang-on-back overflow box (which is probably easiest, almost fail-safe depending on which one you choose, and not too expensive). Also, the small hole is only drilled on the return pipe to prevent that line from siphoning during an outage, not the drain line.

i also plan on running a ball valve in line with the return line so i can limit the return

Good idea...

True on the power issue, but what you're missing is that pumps don't pump exact constant volumes of water over a period of time. The flow rate may fluctuate slightly. Keeping two pumps in-sync is near impossible and asking for a wet floor sooner or later (probably sooner, and while you are in bed). Also, you would be restricting the mag7 so much trying to even it out with the maxijet that it might become damaged over time. So, it's best (common practice) to just use one pump and an overflow of some sort.

I know an overflow box probably wasn't in the plans ($$), but you are asking for trouble doing this the way you have described. While it would be helpful to see in person at the LFS, you can find plenty of info on here about how to setup the overflow box and return (it's pretty easy actually). Check ebay or the dry goods selling forum on RC for an overflow box.

Before you do anything else, make sure to ask on here if it is the right way to do it and for any suggestions/tips. That's what RC and all of it's awesome members are here for.. to keep us on track and with a dry floor :spin3:

Lost_Punk
03/05/2012, 03:42 PM
thanks cordell and grandpaDon. i thought i had a decent handle on everything but i don't i was looking for a drilled tank when i was shopping but found a really decent deal on a non drilled 55. the overflow box wasn't in the plans and i thought i could just use a u-tube. gonna look into an overflow box. i'm sure i'll be posting lots more.