PDA

View Full Version : dead turbos?

bdr
02/29/2012, 05:02 PM
my tank has cycled a month ago and the coraline is starting to spread like mad across the dry rock. i have found a couple turbos on their side. So question is if they fall over do they die? or are they dieing and falling off the glass?

shaginwagon13
02/29/2012, 05:24 PM
If Turbo's fall of the glass and/or the rock and land on their side they can't always right themself. They usually die, I have lots of turbo shells that have collected over the years.

desertreefdude
02/29/2012, 05:25 PM
I have a few in my tank take a tumble around live rock but they've always been able to suck onto something to right themselves. I do know they need stable s.g. and don't do well with large parameter swings.

shaginwagon13
02/29/2012, 05:32 PM
I have a few in my tank take a tumble around live rock but they've always been able to suck onto something to right themselves. I do know they need stable s.g. and don't do well with large parameter swings.

Turbo's can right themself if they have something solid close by that they can attach onto and flip themself over. If they land on the sand bed upside down with nothing around to grab onto they don't stand a very high chance of surviving.

desertreefdude
02/29/2012, 05:40 PM
Agreed on that one. Guess mine got lucky but I do have a lot of rubble in my tank. I think bdr was asking whether they are dyeing because they fall off the glass.

bdr
02/29/2012, 05:43 PM
yeah they are about an inch and a half away from the glass and they wouldnt have had anything solid to grab onto. they would have been there for up to 9 hours before i got home and righted them but they havent moved in a couple days so im guessing they are toast.

shaginwagon13
02/29/2012, 05:51 PM
yeah they are about an inch and a half away from the glass and they wouldnt have had anything solid to grab onto. they would have been there for up to 9 hours before i got home and righted them but they havent moved in a couple days so im guessing they are toast.

Ya, unfortunately they are known for falling on their side and not being able to get right -side-up again.

desertreefdude
02/29/2012, 06:00 PM
After a couple of days without moving I'd probably assume they're escargot. Check your parameters and go from there.