PDA

View Full Version : Padding underneath a rimless tank

Cloudburst2000
03/02/2012, 08:46 AM
I understand that a rimless tank needs some type of padding underneath it to correct for any minute imperfections in the stand. I understand the concept since with a rimless tank all the water pressure between the tank and stand will actually be on the bottom glass pane and not on the rim. I have recently acquired a rimless acrylic tank. The tank is 16 gallons and is 24"L X 13"T x 12"W. What type of 'padding' should I add underneath the tank? Also, the stand is white so I'd like the padding to match in color. Can you paint the padding to match, and if so, what type of paint should I use? Thanks!

cjk76
03/02/2012, 08:49 AM
Just buy a yoga mat a cut it up. I can't see why you couldn't find a white one, but paint should be fine too. Just don't paint it in the same room as the tank...

JTL
03/02/2012, 10:08 AM
Depends on the tank construction if the bottom is flush with the sides it should be padded if the bottom is raised then it is not necessary.

Cloudburst2000
03/02/2012, 10:18 AM
Depends on the tank construction if the bottom is flush with the sides it should be padded if the bottom is raised then it is not necessary.

It's flush with the sides.

Hal
03/02/2012, 12:09 PM
Generally people go to a big box hardware store and buy the foam sheathing/insulation that builders put on houses. It comes in 1/2 inch thick 4x8 sheets, and two densities; get the more dense version due to the weight of the tank. I think the cost is $15-25 per sheet.

I can't help you with color. The Dow brand is usually pink because of their trademark. The one I got was green. You can always put a layer of starboard down on the inside of the tank if you are going bare-bottom and don't want to see the foam. I'm going to have the woodwork on my stand cover up the bottom inch or so of my tank, so it'll cover the foam too.

Cloudburst2000
03/03/2012, 10:35 AM
Generally people go to a big box hardware store and buy the foam sheathing/insulation that builders put on houses. It comes in 1/2 inch thick 4x8 sheets, and two densities; get the more dense version due to the weight of the tank. I think the cost is $15-25 per sheet.

I can't help you with color. The Dow brand is usually pink because of their trademark. The one I got was green. You can always put a layer of starboard down on the inside of the tank if you are going bare-bottom and don't want to see the foam. I'm going to have the woodwork on my stand cover up the bottom inch or so of my tank, so it'll cover the foam too.

Thanks for the info. Exactly what I was looking for.

FishNFun
03/03/2012, 11:58 AM
If color is an issue you can get black foam board from Office Max or Staples. It's more expensive and not as thick so you'd have to use several layers but it looks great under a tank.

Cloudburst2000
03/03/2012, 04:31 PM
If color is an issue you can get black foam board from Office Max or Staples. It's more expensive and not as thick so you'd have to use several layers but it looks great under a tank.

The stand is actually white so black wouldn't look so good. I'm looking for white padding, or to paint the padding white. I might look into the foam board too. It sounds like it would be great if it comes in white. How thick should the padding be? I wouldn't think that it would need to be too thick. The tank is only 16 gallons.