PDA

View Full Version : should i buy an apex? do i need one? worth it? (for me)

faisal629
03/03/2012, 09:43 AM
hey guys, my 120 gal in currently cyceling (will put up a build thread soon) I was thinking of buying an apex controller...why?
*it can be a dimming controller for my DIY led fixture
*temp controller
*saving $$ on 5 timers
*not having to turn off 10 switches every time i feed or do a water change
*safety (email/text alerts)
*etc.
so ive calculated that all the equipment i would need if i dont keep a apex is around $250-$300 (timers, dimming modules, temp controller, ph controller) at least.

Is spend an extra $200 worth it?
one big reason im leaning toward an apex and not a RKL, RKE, or apex jr/lite is cause im going out of the country this summer for vacation, and it would be great to check my tank through my phone/internet, I know RKL/RKE can do this as well but the module is $120 extra and the variable dimming is an @80 extra, costing $120 more then the apex which has all built in.
let me know what you guys think.
FYI:apex is costing $450 (new)

doctorgori
03/03/2012, 10:07 AM
yes: .....gotta be like 20 threads on this..
but the logic in getting one is control/monitoring/failsafes/consistency....

whether stable temp is a good/bad thing is debateable...but stable salinity, calcium/alkalinity et et isn't

I've been reefing a long time and never has the task/chores been easier since owning a controller
given the investment in livestock, I sleep easier: power failures, over doses, top off problems, leaks, heater issue you name it, it can alert you....

I'm biased towards the Neptune products but I'm guessing the RK/RKL are fine as are the Proliflux.....

I got the Apex light since a Vortech is yrs away....my advice: skip the Jr

edited to add: I've paired my Apex with a Finnex heater, dual BRS dosers, Aqualifter for ATO, cooliong fans, et et .... again, life couldn't be easier...

USC-fan
03/03/2012, 10:32 AM
I would look at the Neptune forum here just to make sure you understand the coding side of the apex. It has a bad learning curb but once you get past that it is the most advance controller on the market.

I wouldn't run a tank without a controller. I have owned Neptune and da controllers. Right now I have my old rk I brought in 05 and a new Rke.

JMurphy97
03/03/2012, 10:48 AM
It's WELL worth every penny for anyone for what it does for a tank!