PDA

View Full Version : The journey of my sebae

Seahorse NJRC
03/03/2012, 11:06 AM
I purchased my sebae anemone in September of 2010. I had only been a reef keeper for 9 months, but felt I was ready to take the plunge. I put it in my 5 month old tank (disclaimer it was an upgrade and I do not recommend anyone put any anemone in a 5 month old tank).

Here is the nem when I got it:

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab271/gemini5065/002.jpg

As you can see it was very bleached, but otherwise healthy. I got lucky when I put it in the tank, since it settled in the center of my tank right where I wanted it to. For the first year and few months, I kept the nem under 250 halides. It quickly colored up and began hosting my ocellaris clown. It is now under LED's.

Here is a present pic:

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab271/gemini5065/ebee3dcf.jpg

davocean
03/03/2012, 04:43 PM
Looks so much better.
There is actually a thread posted by Bonsainut that shows bleached nems brought back to health, this would be great to add to that thread.
I have found Sebae(H.crispa, what yours is) loves a lot of light, and those halides were a good call, I'll be curious how it does under the LEDs.
Which LEDs did you go w/ and what is tank depth?

Seahorse NJRC
03/04/2012, 09:05 PM
Looks so much better.
There is actually a thread posted by Bonsainut that shows bleached nems brought back to health, this would be great to add to that thread.
I have found Sebae(H.crispa, what yours is) loves a lot of light, and those halides were a good call, I'll be curious how it does under the LEDs.
Which LEDs did you go w/ and what is tank depth?

I will have to find that thread by Bonsainut. I know a lot of people buy the H.crispa for their appearance. They like the pristine white look with the purple tips. I like the H.crispa for their "true look", size and the way they can fill in a tank.

I know these nems are light mongers. I am skeptical with how it will do under LED's. I currently have it under the Maxspect Mazarra P-series. I still have good extension and nice coloring, but the nem did move a bit after adding the LED's. It did not move much, but enough for me to have concern. I am contemplating getting a PAR 38 bulb directly over the nem or a clip on halide.

mgargiullo
03/04/2012, 10:08 PM
Check out bluemoonaquatics.com... They have a P3 accent that would work well.