PDA

View Full Version : Stock list question: What is the smallest tank that'd work?

victor_c3
03/03/2012, 11:54 AM
I'm planning a nano cube for my desk at work. Given that it is at work, the smaller the better. However, I really want to build a SPS dominated tank with the following fish:

1x sixline wrasse
1x ocellaris clown
3x blue/green chromis

I've had these fish before in previous tanks and I believe that they'd compliment each other well (i.e. the areas of the tank they occupy and their colors).

I'm leaning towards 25 gallons being the smallest that'd work. However, does anyone think that a 20 gallon cube would be sufficiently large enough?

Thanks for any input!

dixiedog
03/03/2012, 12:13 PM
All of those are highly gluttonous fish that get pretty big. I'd say 25 is possible but pushing it.

SeaMac2
03/03/2012, 07:59 PM
Personally I think that might be pushing it...not in terms of your ability to keep tank parameters stable, or your husbandry skills...but in terms of there being enough space for those fish to coexist peacefully.

I would say 30 - 40 gallons for that stock list. Not a huge difference gallon wise from what you proposed...but what are the dimensions of the tank? I would think you'd stand a better chance if it was a 20L as opposed to a 20H or cube.

victor_c3
03/04/2012, 06:47 AM
The dimensions I'm looking at are 18 x 18 x 18 (or 25.3 gallons).

If I were to go with a 16 x 16 x 16 (or about 17.7 gallons) do you think I'd be able to get away with 3 of those fish (i.e. 1x ocellaris clown, 1x blue/green chromis, and 1x sixline wrasse)?

My boss is receptive to me getting an aquarium, but I want to start small so that I don't get too much attention from other people. Someone else in my facility has one of those half-dead beta fish in a small glass bowl on their desk so I figure if they can get away with that, then why can't I have a vibrant little tank full of life? I have one of those jobs that you never leave once you get and my facility is filled with people who've been there 20-30 years or more. So I'm planning on slowly upgrading my nano cube to a 24" 60 gallon cube. If I go slow, I don't think anyone will really notice except for my immediate coworkers (who all would love to have an aquarium in our off as well and won't make an issue).

Again, thanks.