PDA

View Full Version : Bubbles from my overflow...help

lostmyz
03/04/2012, 01:39 AM
I have a Oceanic 72 gal bow front with a 29 gal sump. I am using a Glass-holes.com 700 overflow box. I have been dealing with the noise from it and have solved a few issues. The downpipe is 1.5" all the way and I am using the enkamat that they gave me to reduce the gurggling sound up top, I have made the downpipe have a bunch of 45's and only 2 90's to dump into the sump. At the end of the overflow down pipe i have it reduced to 3/4" and straight shot into the sump submerged. Doing this got rid of the draining water noise that was driving me crazy in my down pipe.

What I am trying to get rid of are the massive amount of bubbles coming out of the pipe thats submerged. There is no difference in the amount of bubble exiting from the current 3/4" opening vs the original 1.5" opening.I have a Tee in the line of the pipe thats submerged, it doesn't really help. I have tried a filter sock and thats doesn't make that much of a difference either. In that CHamber I am running my reef octopus 110 and there is a pump to a UV sterilizer/chiller and BRS dual stage reactor. I want to stop the bubbles because i have noticed that my BRS occasionally gets some bubbles in it and air in the line.

My return for the system is a Mag 9.5 with a ball valve and its closed a little.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated to help diminish the amount of bubbles coming from my overflow down pipe

thank you

sirreal63
03/04/2012, 09:26 AM
Reduce the flow more. Remove that 3/4" reducer at the end, you should never restrict the drain, that is a flood waiting to happen. The problem you are having is too much water flow across the 45's and 90's, think turbulence when you want the drain to be a smooth run. This is important with an open channel drain.

I use the same GH700 and a Mag3, drain is 1-1/2" spaflex, one coupling to change the direction of the spaflex and use it's natural curve to get it in the sump where I want it. My sump has no baffles and the return is about a foot from the drain. No bubble issues, no noise issues.

You are trying to put too much flow through the system, which creates bubbles and that reduction at the end of the drain may seem like a good idea, until something clogs it and the tank overflows. :-)

lostmyz
03/04/2012, 10:10 AM
so i need to try this spa flex stuff? It comes in a giant roll from home depot. How are you able to use its natural curve to get into the sump w/only 1 coupling? Do you have a pic?

sirreal63
03/04/2012, 10:17 AM
I would remove the 3/4" restriction first, then slow the pump down, that is way too much flow for your plumbing. The issue is too much flow causing bubbles, slow the flow and you will reduce the bubbles.

You may not need the spaflex, but if you go that way, I used the curve to go from the overflow into the stand, then cut it and turned it so the the curve pointed to the sump. I would open the sump and take a pic, but I just had back surgery last week and cannot get down there.

sirreal63
03/04/2012, 10:24 AM
This may help, it doesn't show very well, buy you will get the idea. the one from the overflow is like this '(' and then transitions into this ')' so you end up with an 'S" shape.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v362/sirreal63/110%20DSA%20Pentagon/Build%20Pics/003-1.jpg

USC-fan
03/04/2012, 10:26 AM
Wow a filter sock didn't help?

I don't see how the bubbles got past that.

sirreal63
03/04/2012, 10:28 AM
I found a few more old ones. It is kind of hard to see but I wasn't trying to capture the drain in the pics. If you look you can see the curve.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v362/sirreal63/110%20DSA%20Pentagon/Build%20Pics/019.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v362/sirreal63/110%20DSA%20Pentagon/Build%20Pics/018.jpg

Reducing the flow is the best and easiest way. If that doesn't work then a plumbing re-do may be in order. Any restriction will create bubbles.

spankdog
03/04/2012, 10:37 AM
Like others have said close the ball valve more. I had the same issue with my new tank and now that I've got it turned down a lot it's much quieter.

lostmyz
03/04/2012, 01:08 PM
I cant really close the ball valve more on my mag its already pretty closed like a lil more than 50% i am temped to get an eheim 1260 pump anyways bc my mag 9.5 is about the only thing thats left thats loud in my tank. I put a filter sock on and it got rid of my bubbles. I also bought 4 ft of 1.5" spa flex hosing and i have 2 1.5" unions that I will use to make this all work.