PDA

View Full Version : Intro and question

bdyj
03/04/2012, 08:51 AM
Will start off with intro, have been following along for a while now while I have been gathering stuff to set up a new tank.
Been a few years since last SW tank and a bunch has changed.
My equiptment so far is
75G tank drill for BA with an internal overflow box
Sealife refugium
Precision Marine Bullet 1 skimmer
2 Koralia 1050 pumps
260w ho t5 light
Apex Jr.

My first question is I need to replace the return pump and skimmer pump.
Got them used with some other equiptment and they are loud.

I am looking at either the Mag 7 or Eheim 1260 but I'm wondering it that is enough for my return or should I look at the Mag 9.5 or 1262 (overkill?):deadhorse:
I know this has come up alot and I did do a search but could not find a good answer.
My return is 3/4 pvc split into 2 that has about a 3 foot rise.
Right now I will be doing FOWLR.

My other question is about the skimmer, does it have to be run 24/7 or could it be cycled? ex 12h on 12h off or would that not let the skimmer do its job properly.

Thank Bob

Waddleboy
03/04/2012, 09:50 AM
First off Welcome Back! (no idea how to do the fun welcome reef central thing)

I am looking at either the Mag 7 or Eheim 1260 but I'm wondering it that is enough for my return or should I look at the Mag 9.5 or 1262 (overkill?):deadhorse:
I know this has come up alot and I did do a search but could not find a good answer.
My return is 3/4 pvc split into 2 that has about a 3 foot rise.
Right now I will be doing FOWLR.
The mag 7 or 1260 will be fine. The eheim have been said to be quiter. I have a mag 12 doing a return and I cant hear it, so i say either are both good pumps

My other question is about the skimmer, does it have to be run 24/7 or could it be cycled? ex 12h on 12h off or would that not let the skimmer do its job properly.
Running it 24/7 allows it to always pull out the water and it also adds 02 to the water. Shutting it on and off i dont think would provide you any benefit. I cant say it would hurt but it would definitely be more effective running all the time

drparker
03/04/2012, 12:46 PM
Eheim are great pumps, my is running strong after 6 years. Yes run the skimmer 24/7, except after feeding. I have my controller keep powerheads off for 5 minutes, return off for 20 and skimmer off for 30 minutes after a feeding.