PDA

View Full Version : whoever guessed "3" wins!

fishgate
03/04/2012, 01:31 PM
This is the 3rd time that I flooded the fish room because I forgot about the RO running. So I just ordered a float shutoff switch from BRS.

sporto0
03/04/2012, 01:40 PM
Only 3 times? You are rookie!!! I found an easy way for myself to remember the water is running, I always wear a watch, so I just take it off anytime I am running the RO/DI filter, if you wear a watch, you are prone to periodically look at it & the first thought then is my water is running, now I figure out an approximate time it should be filled within a 30 minute give or take period. This has worked well for me, only once did I flood the basement using this technique & it was because I fell asleep early.

Darth Vedder
03/04/2012, 02:19 PM
You could always install some "failsafes" so it doesn't flood

My water barrel is on a stack of cinder blocks so that the water level of the barrel when full is higher than my utility sink. At the top of the Harrell I put a bulkhead and ran vinyl tube from that to the sink. If the float valve failed or you didn't have one, the water would gravity feed to the drain in the event ou forgot to turn off the water

Low tech, cheap, and pretty fail proof

aandfsoccr04
03/04/2012, 02:24 PM
yeah I've done that twice already in my kitchen. I have a stack of about 5 towels just for that very reason. sucks :headwally:

shaginwagon13
03/04/2012, 02:28 PM
This is the 3rd time that I flooded the fish room because I forgot about the RO running. So I just ordered a float shutoff switch from BRS.

Your a fast learner. I must have flooded my fish room ATLEAST 15 times before I got a float valve.

Piece of advice. Get the float valve that have the john-guest fitting for the RO/DI line because it will not leak at all when the pressure builds up. My first float valve was the version where you have to screw in the RO/DI line and it leaked when the pressure started to raise and would slowly drip.

http://www.amazon.com/Float-Valve-HydroLogic-Stealth-RO-Small/dp/B0030065YW

aktopjian
03/04/2012, 02:31 PM
Ive flooded many of times. Mostly because of Jim beam.

fishgate
03/04/2012, 02:34 PM
I got this one - it looks like the one you posted....

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/auto-shut-off-kit-for-reverse-osmosis-systems.html

ryeguyy84
03/04/2012, 03:04 PM
After my first flood I added a $10 water sensor to the top of the bin. When the water hits the sensor really loud annoying sound. Works great unless you leave the house.

Phishguy
03/04/2012, 03:11 PM
I set my alarm in my phone now. I know it takes about 2 hrs to fill my ato. I'm easily at 15 or 20 overflows

Snook65
03/04/2012, 03:34 PM
I always set the alarm on the Iphone

gmate
03/04/2012, 03:50 PM
Flooded basement a dozen times, roommates call all ****y. Takes a day or two to dry out on it's own. Luckily a concrete basement means nothing gets ruined. I started setting the iphone timer as well.

zigzag1
03/04/2012, 04:04 PM
You could always install some "failsafes" so it doesn't flood

My water barrel is on a stack of cinder blocks so that the water level of the barrel when full is higher than my utility sink. At the top of the Harrell I put a bulkhead and ran vinyl tube from that to the sink. If the float valve failed or you didn't have one, the water would gravity feed to the drain in the event ou forgot to turn off the water

Low tech, cheap, and pretty fail proof

More or less what I do also. If my container overfills, it's sitting on the edge of the sink slightly tilted that direction, an overfill pours down the drain. Saved many more times than I can count. I've also heard of folks sitting the catch bucket in the bath tub, same effect. Fail safes/automation is much better than counting on an alarm, or trying to remember. Falling asleep or forgetting happen eventually and it only takes once to make a huge mess.

daplatapus
03/04/2012, 07:20 PM
I've got a float switch on mine, but I have a DI stage bypass so I can fill my own water bottles for my water cooler and I over flow that 9 times out of 10. LOL

mal7887
03/04/2012, 07:45 PM
Nothing like coming home and then hearing a trickle, only to realize you forgot...

I've done it so many times now I have lost count. Every time I clean up, I tell myself "this is the last time!"

bnumair
03/04/2012, 10:08 PM
there are few measure that can help in no flood. in my case i have genesis renew and storm system that automatically cheks for ro bin to be low fills it and tops it off. but system cost $900 along with it does automatic water changes too so in long run i think its worth it.
other 2 cheaper ways are float shutoff or at any hardware store water flood detector.

tkeracer619
03/04/2012, 10:13 PM
google "leak frog"

Float valves, float switches, and solenoids are a floors best friend.

Hamsternuts
03/04/2012, 10:44 PM
In my old 180 I flooded the house with DI water atbleast 5 times. It was upstairs too. Not good... For some reason I invested in a shop vac instead of a shut off valve. But now I have a float switch AND a big shop vac!

By the way a DI spill is nothing compared to a saltwater spill. I only did that once, but I forget how.