PDA

View Full Version : Got my QT, what meds should I stock?

BigAirHarper
03/04/2012, 09:37 PM
SO I've setup my first QT following threads on RC, now what meds does everyone recommend to keep in the cabinet? I saw med list on the sticky, but I was wondering what specific brands of meds everyone has had success with? Right now I'm thinking PraziPro, Paraguard, and Cupramine. I know I haven't included an antibiotic but I figure I can just make a quick trip to the LFS and pick one up if needed. Any suggestions on which brands are good etc would be great! Thanks!

E36328i
03/04/2012, 09:41 PM
PraziPro, ParaGuard, Cupramine, RidIch (has malachite), Formalin, and antibiotics (Furan, Furan2, and Tetracyclin worked best for me). I also really liked Quinine Sulfate if you can find it ( FishPharmacy ).

BigAirHarper
03/04/2012, 09:49 PM
Ok awesome, thanks for the response. And what would be your regimen with a new fish that had ich? Would you just dose RidIch? Or would you dose certain meds together simultaneously? Just wondering what I should do exactly when I bring home the first fish that I want to QT since I've never done this process before.

sandwi54
03/04/2012, 10:56 PM
Prazipro, cupramine, formalin, and antibiotics of your choice (either maracyn-2 or furan-2).

Ich (cryptocaryon irritans) can only be killed with copper or hyposalinity, so you'd be using cupramine in the QT. Rid-ich, ich-attack, kick-ich, etc. are all snake oils and don't do a thing for ich.

Do not mix medications unless approved by both manufacturers! Drug interaction is very serious and dangerous and should be avoided unless absolutely necessary. Please read all of the stickies in this forum.

BigAirHarper
03/04/2012, 11:30 PM
Thanks for the info sandwi, I'll def use the cupramine then for ich.

Yea I've read the stickies about mixing meds and how dangerous it can be. Just didn't know if there was a "magic combo" that a lot of people used when they first brought a fish home.

Also, when you are finished QT a fish, how do you transfer him to the display to ensure you don't get any copper meds in the DT? May sound like a stupid question, but I'm super careful not to get any "impurities" in the reef and was just thinking that no matter what a small amt of the copper filled saltwater may get into the DT. Is this a problem?

sandwi54
03/05/2012, 01:13 AM
A lot of people have used cupramine and prazipro without issues, but Hikari, the maker of prazipro, claims that the effectiveness drops when it's used with cupramine.

I would remove the meds with carbon first (and with large water change) before transferring the fish into DT.