PDA

View Full Version : 15 Gallons dumped on my electronics cabinet - Lessons Learned

ChadTheSpike
03/05/2012, 09:21 AM
On Thursday night, I awoke at 1 AM to the smell of burning electronics - never, never, never a good sign. I went downstairs to find 15 gallons of water on the floor that had overflowed from the tank sitting atop my electronics cabinet. I have spent most of the last day and a half recovering from this problem - at this point I am back and running sans fuge.

Any time something in my control fails, after I get things back under control, I always take a step away and evaluate what happened to find out what I did right and what I could have done better. I have a couple of takeaways at the end that I encourage everyone to look at and then take a close look at your setup.

The Setup:
http://www.wamas.org/forums/uploads/1290373965/gallery_2632346_867_137178.jpg

This is an older picture of my setup (circa 2010), but it clearly shows my "flow-through" setup. The return pump sends water to the refugium on left which then flows through a 2" siphon from the fuge to the display. I periodically (1-2x per year) clean out the siphon, it was last done early summer 2011.

Since I have two cabinets, I keep all of my tank electronics, plugs, etc. in the fuge cabinet.

The Problem:
http://www.wamas.org/forums/uploads/1330655253/gallery_2632346_867_399356.jpg

At 1 AM in the morning this blockage caused 15 gallons of salt water to infiltrate the electronics cabinet.

The Targets:
3 MH ballasts
Apex controller and display
2 EB8s for the Apex
Internet adapter for the Apex
LED power supply
Liter Meter dosing pump with 2 pump modules
MP40 controller
Four DC power supplies for ecotech and tunze products
MP40 dry side

The Casualties:
Internet adapter for the Apex
Liter Meter dosing pump
Three DC power supplies
MP40 dry side

The Evaluation:
My overflow setup from the fuge to the display way failure prone. I made a recent system change to add some finicky fish, so a few months back I started feeding the system 4-6x per day, which has resulted in a micro-fauna explosion of growth. I was aware of the failure-prone nature of my siphon and performed maintenance on it a couple times a year to keep it going. We make changes all the time without fully understanding all of the consequences.

Lesson Learned: That being said, any overflow could be prone to this type of blockage as the pineapple sponges that formed the bulk of the blockage prefer high flow and low light areas - exactly the conditions in just about any overflow. This system should have been set up with a less failure-prone overflow. I will drill it and put a dry safety overflow in place.

My electronics cabinet largely escaped damage. The things that were damaged were on the outside of the cabinet (gaming adapter, liter meter, MP40 dry side) or were "low hanging fruit." All of the power supplies were of the standard lap-top dc power adapter variety, like this:

http://www.insaneblogging.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/laptop-power-cords.jpg

We all learn in reef keeping 101 about drip loops. I had them installed on all of my equipment and all plugs were installed high on the inside of the cabinet. However, on the power supplies, I bundled the whole string of wires together with the ac/dc converter (the box part) and hanging at essentially the low point. So when the water dripped into the cabinet, these were at the bottom of the drip loop, which caused most of them to be severely damaged (two were in lucky locations and were salvageable).

Lesson Learned: AC/DC power supplies should be protected along with plugs and equipment, place the wrapped up cords high and out of the way from potential water sources. Equipment that doesn't need to be attached to the outside of an aquarium cabinet shouldn't be. Not sure what to say about the vortech dry side, buy tunze maybe? :spin3:

Final Thought: This could have been really bad. Saltwater and electricity do not mix, 15 gallons of water could have easily caused a fire that may have destroyed my home and potentially killed me and my family. I did some things right here that saved it from being really bad, but there was some water damage and also at least $500 in equipment damage.

I strongly encourage you all to check your overflows regularly and inspect your drip loops for vulnerabilities.

Happy reefing all!

Bosco83
03/05/2012, 10:32 AM
Geez I think I'll check my drain pipes now!

cjk76
03/05/2012, 10:33 AM
... I'm checking all my lines tonight and lifting my cords another 6" off the ground. haha. Thanks for sharing. That picture is the perfect reason to check your pipes regularly.

Bosco83
03/05/2012, 10:34 AM
How long has your tank been setup without cleaning that pipe? I have neve thought about cleaning mine before.

ChadTheSpike
03/05/2012, 11:15 AM
^I did clean it regularly as I recognized that siphon as a vulnerability in my system, this is SIX MONTHS worth of growth!! I cleaned it most recently last summer.

Although, I did make a few changes about 4 months ago that I think probably affected this... I raised my system temperature from ~70 to ~80 over a few weeks (because I sold the last of my seahorses), I started feeding more frequently (4-6 times a day) because I am keeping some sensitive fish, and I only periodically run the skimmer (experimentng again)... I did notice that sponge growth had increased significantly in my system, although it didn't even occur to me to check the drain, which if you think about it, is perfect for their growth: fast flowing nutrient filled water and dark.

ChadTheSpike
03/06/2012, 12:34 PM
One more reminder before the thread falls into oblivion.

Metal Man 1221
03/06/2012, 07:55 PM
Holy crap! That kind of growth is amazing. Its got me thinking now about making filtration that works in a similar manor.

ChadTheSpike
03/07/2012, 07:26 AM
I was thinking about that too... Really funny to me is that I tried keeping a 5 gallon cryptic refuium in-line with main flow path... after 1 year there wasn't significant growth... I eventually took it down.

reefnewbie83177
03/07/2012, 08:01 AM
This now has me thinking about my over flow lines. How do you clean them or even tell if they need cleaning. Mine run behind my tank over to a sump on the left side. they are all hard plumbed with no way of removing them. They run about 6 feet. Would you snake them?

Interesting. people don't usually talk about having to clean there over flow lines, but this is proof that crap grows in there.

ChadTheSpike
03/07/2012, 01:25 PM
I actually do occasionally snake my overflows remember, this was SIX MONTHS worth of growth (yes, I realize my methods are different than most and many wouldn't have growth like this). I also usually prefer to plumb with tubing vice pvc (so I can run the whole return line including chiller to/from my warm vinegar water filled sink).

To permanently prevent this from occuring, I am going to add a dry safety drain into the system.