PDA

View Full Version : Weird Refugium Issue

zeeter
03/05/2012, 01:27 PM
It seems that whenever I do maintenance on my refugium I get a stinging feeling on my thumb or whatever finger I happen to be moving things with. The skin dries out and probably dies.

Could this be an issue with bristle worms in the refugium? There are two clarkis in there with a LTA, but I seem to be immune to all anemone stings except for the Ritteri, which gives me itchy bumps. Plus I don't make it a habit of touching anemones in the first place.

tebstan
03/05/2012, 01:39 PM
What else do you have in there? A fuge is usually for macro, but that's one thing you didn't mention.

Are you raking your hand through the sand? If so, then probably worms like you mentioned. If it's just while touching the water, check equipment for stray leakage.

kieffer_5
03/05/2012, 05:05 PM
my guess is bristle worms but ive heard hydros sting you also i dont have any backround on them but try looking them up

aleonn
03/05/2012, 06:58 PM
The first thing that comes to mind is stray voltage, which you can rule out with a voltmeter.

kelrn98
03/05/2012, 07:32 PM
+1 on stray voltage.

dkerns06
03/05/2012, 07:33 PM
Im with stray voltage also. I had the exact same problem.

zeeter
03/05/2012, 08:29 PM
The more I think of it, the more I'm going with bristle worms. It's not an electric feeling and does only happen when I mess with the sand.

Sk8r
03/05/2012, 09:55 PM
Probably worms..They're good cleaners, but wear latex gloves. Vinegar can help dissolve the bristle in your fingers.
Also don't be too confident about tolerating marine stings: a sensitivity can build up and be a real problem with continuing the hobby. I knew an lfs owner who had it bad. Latex gloves are actually kinder to your nem, because they invest a lot of energy into repairing their lost harpoon-cells. Don't make them fire them if you can avoid it. And they won't, with the gloves.