PDA

View Full Version : Questionable additions to the reef aquarium

flyfisher2
03/05/2012, 08:44 PM
I find it amazing how many different fish, inverts, algaes, and ? are labeled as 'reef safe' or (this one kills me) 'with caution'. What the heck does that mean? You put it in carefully? A long slow drip?:spin2:
I just added some emerald crabs to my aquarium a few weeks ago on the recommendation of my LFS and after reading numerous postings on how good they are for our reefs.
NOT!!!
These things eat coral!
I watched them do it repeatedly. I am in the process of removing them from my system as I write this post. But it really upsets me when these critters are portrayed as model citizens of the reef world when their credentials are to say the least, 'questionable'.
I guess it all boils down to how much of a gambler we are.

I'm sure this topic has probable been addressed numerous times before but I just felt the "noobie" frustration and needed to vent.

StephLionfish
03/05/2012, 10:40 PM
When sites say " Reef safe With Caution ", it means that it's likely going to pick on something in your reef. Lionfish are reef safe 'with caution' because they eat shrimp and small fish, but do not harm corals. It just means that you should take care when you have those things that you don't have anything that they will eat/ mess with.

No crab is truly reef safe. Emeralds have been known to mess with corals- it's a 50/50 shot almost. I wouldn't listen to the LFS. They may seem very knowledgable in the hobby, but honestly most just want to sell you something.

I will spend a solid day or more researching anything before I buy it. Good luck getting them out of your tank.

Zalman
03/05/2012, 11:17 PM
I personally find it is best to do tons of research prior to setting foot in a fish store... learn as much as you can before going in and know what you are getting ahead of time. dont be sold on some sales pitch

rjmayes34
03/06/2012, 07:35 AM
my emerald crabs have been model citizens in my tank and have taken care of any bubble algae. I have 3 or 4 in my 120 and i love them!! Are you sure their not picking at algae around your corals?
What corals are they going after?
Do you keep your tank well fed? I kinda over feed to make sure (at least in my mind) my inverts are happy and fed.
Good luck catching them!!

flyfisher2
03/06/2012, 08:11 AM
Luckily I only bought three and I've caught two so far so I'm doing okay. The Mrs. and I both have spent countless hours doing research on this website and others. Unfortunately this was one member of the clean up crew we didn't get a definite yes or no on.
The corals in question were a candy cane and a Favia. As far as being sure, Yes definitely.I saw them repeatedly pull little chunks out of the coral leaving tiny rips as the coral tried to recede. No question there. I tried chasing one away with the algae scraper and he came right back minutes later.
Tank gets fed twice a day. Once with flakes and once with frozen. If anything I'm over feeding. My Hippo tang can attest to this. He's round. LOL