PDA

View Full Version : Do clowns have 9 lives??

miyzfrider
03/06/2012, 09:00 PM
I actually came to the forum tonight to see if I could find some stories of how hardy clowns are because last night one of mine decided to jump out of my tank. I figure he had to be out of the water about 10-15 minutes at least. I found him lying on the floor behind the tank after I noticed him missing. Assuming he was dead, I went to put the dog out and then came back, crouched down to get him at which point he moved immediately. I carefully grabbed him up, held him in the water, in my hand for about 10 minutes. Slowly he started gasping for water and air. Eventually I let him go, at which point he darted around, running into the rocks and side of the tank. I honestly was concerned he'd hurt himself further if he had any chance of surviving anyway. I assumed he may have been oxygen deprived long enough and probably had brain damage, or his eyes were so dried out that he just couldn't see.

I went to bed assuming I'd find him floating at the top of the tank this morning, and honestly...pretty discouraged. I don't care if they are small fish. They're pets and I don't like losing any of them.

To my surprise this morning, he was back with the female I have, swimming like nothing had happened. I fed him twice today and he ate just fine. He does have a little tear on his rear fin, but other than that, he looks just fine.

So I don't know if clowns are known to have 9 lives, but a jump from the top of a 90 gallon tank, probably 6 ft up, onto a hard wood floor, then sitting out of water for probably about 10-15 minutes sure does point to the hardiness of the breed. He is a lucky little guy!!

Needless to say, the glass cover went back on this morning, at least till I can figure something out to make sure it's the last jumper I have!! So for any other clown (or other fish) owners, be careful...they do jump!

jbax
03/06/2012, 09:12 PM
yes they do jump.

you are more lucky then i was when i found my s'more. the cats had eaten his head off and i found him under my desk. i was :furious:

you can get 1/2" bird netting at home depot or lowes or order it from brs.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/miscellaneous/miscellaneous-items/clear-1-2-screen-netting-6-5-x-2-5.html

gg1111
03/07/2012, 12:18 PM
I had my clown missing for 1 month 1/2.i thought he died and got eaten by Cuc! He ended up next to my return pump in my bio cube! I had searched everywhere for him,( even in the return). there where many bio balls so i didn't see him until my wife spotted him!(we where looking for another missing/hiding clown). I Grabbed the clown from the return put him in the tank (I'm thinking it was the clown that was missing that day),then the hiding clown pop out! I was seeing double,***! I could not comprehend what I was seeing! A miracle I thought! ,he swam and begged for food!! I love my little c-quest onyx!!

aandfsoccr04
03/07/2012, 04:49 PM
The first day I got mine shipped in, I was trying to heat the QT tank real fast that I had setup because I forgot to put a heater in it. So I had three heaters in it to raise the temperature from about 60 to 78 and I accidentally left the heaters in there and left that night. Came back the following evening and the temperature was 90 :eek2::eek2::eek2: but they are still kicking months later thankfully.

cubsFAN
03/07/2012, 07:11 PM
Flashback to my first tank. I had a maroon clown I dropped down the bathroom sink when pouring a little water out of the fish's bag during acclimation. (I have since come up with better acclimation methods that will prevent this stupid mistake) After taking apart the plumbing and shaking the fish out of the hair and other nastiness of the sinks plumbing I tossed the fish in the tank and he was fine. I had the fish for 6mos before selling him along with the tank. That tank was such a disaster he was probably safer living in the sink, but that's a story for another thread.

flare1185
03/07/2012, 07:37 PM
One day I was transferring one of my clown to a 10gl hospital tank but I stupidly forgot this water was sitting in my garage during the winter and it was freezing cold probably around 40 degree needless to say it was shock and stop breathing wide eye for a good 10 second. I realized the water was too cold and scoop the little guy back to my tank and it slowly came back to life. That was the most amazing thing I've seen kinda like when someone return from cpr. Hes still kicking and spawning with my female every few weeks now.

miyzfrider
03/07/2012, 07:53 PM
Wow, these are some pretty interesting accounts. I guess clowns do have 9 lives! :)

Mine continues to do well as of today. We are calling him Nemo now since he decided to jump out. :)