PDA

View Full Version : Am I Old School?

Cod Fish
03/06/2012, 10:34 PM
I was at a fish store last weekend and I asked the guy at the counter if they had and kalkwasser. "what?" he says. After saying it again a couple times he says "oh, maybe, we haven't had that for years. Your old school". Now I should say that this isn't a pet store with a small saltwater section in the back. This is a large saltwater only store. I use kalkwasser in my top off. I also dose 2 part via dosing pump. Am I missing something? Am I old school?

*reefermadness*
03/06/2012, 10:39 PM
You are most certainly not "old school." The person you talked to sounds pretty unexperienced IMO. I know quite a few people that still use kalk.

jamey1015
03/06/2012, 10:40 PM
You are most certainly not "old school." The person you talked to sounds pretty unexperienced IMO. I know quite a few people that still use kalk.

Heck yeah and just go pick up some mrs.wages at walmart.

SpaceSea
03/06/2012, 11:05 PM
I was at a fish store last weekend and I asked the guy at the counter if they had and kalkwasser. "what?" he says. After saying it again a couple times he says "oh, maybe, we haven't had that for years. Your old school". Now I should say that this isn't a pet store with a small saltwater section in the back. This is a large saltwater only store. I use kalkwasser in my top off. I also dose 2 part via dosing pump. Am I missing something? Am I old school?

Nah ... the thing is if they sell kalkwasser and bake soda, they may close their doors (or the owner will have to sell his Porsche).

You have to be a good client with a deep pocket ... and use something more 'hot'.

Cod Fish
03/06/2012, 11:16 PM
It just had never occurred to me that kalk could be out of "style". I am an avid reader of many coral magazines and online articles and kalk is allways mentioned.

Cod Fish
03/06/2012, 11:18 PM
Heck yeah and just go pick up some mrs.wages at walmart.

What's mrs wages?

jerpa
03/06/2012, 11:39 PM
Mrs Wages Pickling Lime, same powder you buy at the lfs but a whole lot cheaper.

karsseboom
03/07/2012, 12:28 AM
What's the Lfs name?

SpaceSea
03/07/2012, 08:10 AM
Mrs Wages Pickling Lime, same powder you buy at the lfs but a whole lot cheaper.

Wow thanks Bro ... I think I am heading up for cheap charlie style and save $$$ for new corals

Seriously, I have just bought a 6 heads dosing pump ... Do you know a good alternative for 'Pickling Lime' or 'Kalkwasser' but in liquid form ?

FOR Cod Fish

From http://www.wetwebmedia.com

"
What is Kalkwasser?

Put simply, it’s the German translation of “lime water” or “chalk water”. You may have come across lime water for example in chemistry practical classes at high school. But for whatever reason, it’s the German name that’s become established in the marine fishkeeping hobby rather than the English names used in science and industry.

Kalkwasser is formed from a solution of fresh water and lime. Commercial kalkwasser powder is sold at a tropical fish shops, but there are alternatives. Many marine aquarists find pickling lime, calcium hydroxide, to be just as safe to use as commercial kalkwasser powder, but much less expensive. Another type of lime, quick lime, can also been widely used. Quick lime is calcium oxide, but when mixed with water a certain amount of heat is produced, so some caution is advised when using quick lime.

How does Kalkwasser work?

The complicated chemical reactions can be easily found in books and technical articles in fishkeeping magazines, but for the sake of this article, I will try to keep things as simple as possible. Advanced aquarists may consider what follows an oversimplification, but I won’t tell them if you don’t!

The kalkwasser solution contains water, calcium ions and hydroxide ions. The calcium ions obviously help to raise the concentration of calcium in the water, a good thing for animals and plants that use calcium for their skeletons. The hydroxide interacts with dissolved carbon dioxide to form bicarbonate, and together with any remaining hydroxide ions, this raises the alkalinity, thereby buffering pH and inhibiting acidification.
"

From http://www.canningpantry.com/pickling-lime.html

For pickling cucumbers the old-fashioned way for extra crispness and flavor! Makes Cucumber Lime Pickles (recipe on each canister), Green Tomato Pickles, Watermelon Rinds and Citron Pickles. Food grade calcium hydroxide with no additives or preservatives.

smsreefer
03/07/2012, 08:20 AM
Knowing what Mrs. Wages is would officially qualify you for old school.
[ lol... joke :] ]

jerpa
03/07/2012, 08:33 AM
Seriously, I have just bought a 6 heads dosing pump ... Do you know a good alternative for 'Pickling Lime' or 'Kalkwasser' but in liquid form ?

Mix the powder with rodi to make limewater then dose it through the pump. Theres a certain amount to add per gallon of rodi that I cant remember off hand. It's just about the cheapest way to make a balanced calcium and alkalinity supplement out there. Read the dosing articles by Randy Holmes-Farley. You will know all you need to about limewater.

Cod Fish
03/07/2012, 09:03 AM
What's the Lfs name?

The shop is called saltwater Fantaseas. I'm not a big fan. The pickling lime sounds like a great idea but again same stuff from BRS is even cheaper and comes in larger volume. Also the dose should be around a teaspoon per gallon.

reefgeezer
03/07/2012, 10:33 AM
The shop is called saltwater Fantaseas. I'm not a big fan. The pickling lime sounds like a great idea but again same stuff from BRS is even cheaper and comes in larger volume. Also the dose should be around a teaspoon per gallon.

I buy from BRS just because Mrs Wages is seasonal here and I don't like storing a year's worth. Even w/ BRS price and shipping, it's still a cheap way to supplement calcium and alkalinity. The pH boost is also a plus for my system. IMO, "old school" (read "proven") is good.

allsps40
03/07/2012, 11:30 AM
I use it in my ATO all the time to help keep ca and alk stable. This method has been used for some time but is not old school or out dated in any way. It is the simplest way to dose ca and alk to a reef tank. BRS rocks.

KafudaFish
03/07/2012, 11:35 AM
Mrs. Wages should be coming around since gardening season is starting.

It is around $3 a pound right now and at the end of the growing season it will be on sale for $1.

It use to come in a plastic cylinder but now an easy open and close ziplock bag.

swanny
03/07/2012, 11:55 AM
What's mrs wages?

Or go to BRS and buy kalkwasser for even cheaper than Ms. wages pickling lime.

karsseboom
03/07/2012, 06:42 PM

Lol I'm from Oregon that's why I asked. Yeah I have talked to that guy before about using kalk and he didn't approve of it.

Rybren
03/07/2012, 08:27 PM
Also the dose should be around a teaspoon per gallon.

Actually, the dose should vary according to the needs of your tank. You will achieve a saturated solution (max dose) by using two teaspoons per gallon of RO/DI. You can actually squeeze a bit more than 2tsp/gal into solution by adding vinegar to the mix.

In my system, I can get away with 1 1/2 teaspoon/gallon in the winter because the evaporation rate is higher and more gets added to the tank via the ATO. In the summer when the evaporation rate is lower, a fully saturated solution won't meet the demand of my tank and I occasionally have to add some 2-part.

ryeguyy84
03/08/2012, 06:05 AM
Mrs. Wages should be coming around since gardening season is starting.

It is around $3 a pound right now and at the end of the growing season it will be on sale for $1.

It use to come in a plastic cylinder but now an easy open and close ziplock bag.

Yup clearance section at Walmart will be full of kalkwasser when winter starts.

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/08/2012, 06:37 AM
FWIW, I have used limewater only on my system for more than 15 years, and I do not see any reason to change to anything else. Putting it into an ATO is a great option for folks. :)

A two part is also a fine plan, and despite my developing the DIY recipe, I choose to use limewater still. :)

ryeguyy84
03/08/2012, 12:22 PM
15 years, I believe that makes you "old school" Randy... Haha I kid :-)

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/08/2012, 04:33 PM
Yes, I know I'm old.

Had my first physical since turning 50, and that puts a routine colonoscopy on the near term radar. :(

Toadally
03/08/2012, 05:17 PM
I use kalk as well.... and have for years, btw, what is a colonoscopy? :bigeyes:

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/08/2012, 05:22 PM
btw, what is a colonoscopy? :bigeyes:

Don't ask, it's even worse than it sounds. :D

pnavarro170
03/08/2012, 05:27 PM
wait so would you need to dose 2 part and mag if you are doing Kalk ??

Rybren
03/08/2012, 05:54 PM
Don't ask, it's even worse than it sounds. :D

:wildone:

Ouch! is all that I have to say on that subject. I hate those procedures.

wait so would you need to dose 2 part and mag if you are doing Kalk ??

It depends on the needs of your tank. Kalk may not be able to meet all of the alk and calcium needs of some tanks, so another suppliment may be required. Kalk does not add Mag.

skunkmere
03/08/2012, 08:00 PM
FWIW, find the nearest tortilla factory and as them for some. its called CAL in Spanish, they use it to make tortillas. i payed 50 cents a pound and picked up some fresh torts and chips.