PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for increasing flow

Gyr
03/07/2012, 02:06 AM
I have a 125 gal SPS dominant tank and would like to increase flow. I am very noise intolerant and have to keep my Vortech MP 40 at half-speed or the whirring noise it makes drives me nuts. Its a shame, because I otherwise love the vortech. I thought about buying a replacemnt MP 40, but that's a lot of money if the new one winds up being just as 'loud' (my guess is that my unit is not inordinately loud, rather that I am inordinately intolerant). I also have an MP 20 (very quiet at full tilt) and before my SPS got big, those two gave adequate flow. Now there are significant 'slow flow' areas in the mature tank and I think that is why I am seeing less polyp extension.
What do others suggest for boosting flow without creating additional noise? Several Koralias on a 'wavemaker' power strip--that's what my LFS has in one of its display tanks and it seems to work well. I don't have any experience with anything other than the vortechs, its what I went with when I decided to go SPS, so any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Kurt

Vinny Kreyling
03/07/2012, 09:20 AM
Penductors on the return lines?

jrpdriver
03/07/2012, 09:49 AM
Go with the Tunze nanoStream 6095, they are small and they generate almost as much flow as a Vortech mp40, and they are silent. I use them and love them

sneaton
03/07/2012, 09:53 AM
yeah the penductor/eductor is a good cheap option....mine feels like a hot tub jet with only 600 gph from my return...

fishguy597
03/07/2012, 11:20 AM
Gyr ,
Sorry to cover the basics but I just did and it worked for me. I got an mp 40 for xmas and I thought had it set up right. I had everything aligned right but I had the glass thickness set to thick. I changed it and its real quiet now. the new one I have is almost dead silent. otherwise is just call ecotec and see what they can do if its excessively noisy might be a bad bearing.

fishguy597
03/07/2012, 11:21 AM
Gyr ,
Sorry to cover the basics but I just did and it worked for me. I got an mp 40 for xmas and I thought had it set up right. I had everything aligned right but I had the glass thickness set to thick. I changed it and its real quiet now. the new one I have is almost dead silent. otherwise is just call ecotec and see what they can do if its excessively noisy might be a bad bearing.

MammothReefer
03/07/2012, 01:33 PM
My mp40 whines as well, I don't mind it. With that said the 6095 is closer to an mp10 then an Mp40. I added a couple 6025s that I modded that I use in conjunction with my Mp40/Mp10. I like being able to point them at the dead spots. Just snub them up so you get a wider flow increase you find they have to be in tight spots and you don't want them ripping off the flesh of your corals. Mod also makes them flow like the 6055 @ 62 a pop if you are worried about being to spendy.

radone
03/07/2012, 06:57 PM
Where can one find info about this mod?

Reefer1225
03/07/2012, 07:36 PM
+1 on the Mod. Looking for more flow in my 90. Tunze sounds like a good option at $62.

MammothReefer
03/07/2012, 09:54 PM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1025361

Big thread a lot of different ways to do it. I just did the basic on so it doesn't look like I hacked it to pieces, and the wide flow mod.

This is what the inside of mine looked like after I grinded down the shroud with a dremel.

http://www.pbase.com/brahm/image/128484915/original.jpg

Reefer1225
03/07/2012, 10:35 PM
Awesome, thanks Mammoth! You made a clean cut compared to the other post. I have a MP40/MP10 combo on the left and right sides of the tank. Where did you end up putting the 2 6025s? Back wall? What direction pointing?

MammothReefer
03/08/2012, 12:10 AM
Thanks, I ended up putting it in the front right corner blowing back in towards my vortechs. I used to have 2 on the back walls but found I could pull one out if I moved the other 2 the front pointing back.

Canadaguy
03/08/2012, 02:40 AM
What about mp-60's ?? that way it wouldn't have to be turned up as much and then one would think it would be quieter. I thought about going this route but settled on the 40's

goldenservices3
03/08/2012, 08:21 AM
wavebox...

Gyr
03/11/2012, 10:16 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I'll do some further research into all these different options, see what might be best for me. I guess I could contact ecotec, but I've had this MP40 for well over 2 years, and I don't know if they'd repair such an old unit, even if there was a problem with the bearings. That mod looks promising, too....

Thanks again,

Kurt

silentscream
03/12/2012, 01:16 PM
When was the last time you thoroughly cleaned your vortech? After soaking my wetside in straight vinegar for several hours and taking it apart to clean with a brush, the noise was significantly reduced. The whining sound is still there, but does not seem to be as pronounced as before the cleaning. Maybe the pump isn't working as hard to spin the prop now...?

bobkill
03/12/2012, 01:43 PM
Pump silent - clean that thing and make sure it matches ur class thickness - and if u run it in reef crest u don't really hear it - I love nutrient export mode but my roommate and u are an the same page when it comes to noise so I use a quiter mode

96p993
03/12/2012, 02:07 PM
I agree, reef crest and Lagoon really help making the MP quieter...I use a WXM so while Im not there my tank gets very random flow then when I get home all is quiet

psykobowler
03/15/2012, 10:04 AM
Gyr, I have a spare mp-40w driver. If you want to upgrade your mp-20 to an mp-40w so that you have 2 mp40s you just need to buy the power supply at ecotech. I will trade the driver for corals on your tank. Please let me know. Glenn

Gyr
03/18/2012, 01:10 PM
Pump silent - clean that thing and make sure it matches ur class thickness - and if u run it in reef crest u don't really hear it - I love nutrient export mode but my roommate and u are an the same page when it comes to noise so I use a quiter mode

I agree, reef crest and Lagoon really help making the MP quieter...I use a WXM so while Im not there my tank gets very random flow then when I get home all is quiet

I agree about the lagoon mode - My princess ears can handle that, but the Reef Crest mode drives me nuts. Even when it is going slow/silent, my panites are all in a buch just waiting for it to get loud again. Too bad, because I really like the random fluctuations in flow that mode creates.

(can you imagine being married to me? I should buy my wife something just because she continues to put up with me)

Oh yeah, what's a WXM?

Gyr
03/18/2012, 01:13 PM
When was the last time you thoroughly cleaned your vortech? After soaking my wetside in straight vinegar for several hours and taking it apart to clean with a brush, the noise was significantly reduced. The whining sound is still there, but does not seem to be as pronounced as before the cleaning. Maybe the pump isn't working as hard to spin the prop now...?

Hey, I'll try the straight vinegar. I tried about 50% dilution and it really didn't help...couldn't get much of the junk off. Hopefully that full strength vinegar will work as that is likely at least part of the problem.
Thanks,
Kurt

Gyr
03/20/2012, 11:05 PM
Hey that full strength vinegar soak worked great to clean the wet side, which really improved the flow. While the unit is still about as loud as it was at full speed, I can't keep it that high now due to it sucking air and blasting my corals around too much. I have to keep it dialed down to keep the flow where I want it and it runs pretty silent at that speed.
Thanks for the advice.
Kurt