PDA

View Full Version : Pumps and placement.

tramsden
03/07/2012, 11:35 AM
Hi

I have a 54"x24"x24" tank with rectangular weir/overflow in right hand corner. There is the return from the sump coming over the top and it's pointing towards the centre front glass. The return pump is a Tunze silence 1073.04.
There is 50kg of LR arranged in 2 stacks with good clearance around both. It's a new setup so no corals yet but it is planed for the future.

I have a nanostream 6055 back left corner and a 6095 in front of weir on right side panel. Both are connected to a GHL P3 computer on a variable program.

I'm not sure that I have enough flow, I am considering buying another 6095 or even a 6105 and changing the set up.
I would gratefully welcome any suggestions on my current layout and how to improve it.

Tony.

rvitko
03/07/2012, 12:19 PM
I would add a 2nd 6095 and use the 6055 as needed to target any dead spots.

tramsden
03/08/2012, 02:03 AM
Thanks I've ordered a 6095.

Can you advise on how they should be positioned and what is the best configuration for them with regard to flow settings. I don't have the tunze controller but the GHL can control each pump with timings and power output.

Regards Tony

rvitko
03/08/2012, 09:47 AM
For placement I would try centered on each side or back corner aimed diagonally to just past the front center. This will be a bit of trial and error. I would place them about 8" down from the top of the tank.

I would use a pulse of 30%-the highest you find is appropriate, 100% should be fine for must corals but some LPS might need less. Ideally I would use a program similar to our Interval 2. This would idle one pump at 30% while the other pulses and after 6 hours they would switch. I would set the pulse time to be about 3 seconds (time between speeds on the pulsing pump).

I would see how this works out and where any dead spots might be and then install and direct the 6055 as needed.