PDA

View Full Version : Nuked, how long till the radiation is gone? ...so to speak

Gangrene
03/07/2012, 11:04 PM
I have a hypothetical...

Let's say I have an empty tank with just a sand bed and circulating salt water. I don't know if there are any anaerobic areas in that sand bed. Now If I stirred up that sand bed heavily, rolled it over and there were areas like that I'm assuming it would release "hydrogen sulfide" gas into the water... I hope that is the right chemical, but if not you know what I'm talking about. Okay so I'm guessing that this defuses into the water and that is what kills the tank in a normal situation. Now here are the questions. Is there a way to test to see if the water is safe besides throwing a animal in there? Is this problem self correcting as in will it all defuse into the air and leave the tank? If this is self correcting, what kind of time frame are we looking at before the tank water is safe to add animals? Add any information you'd like even if I didn't ask that specifically.

1. Is there a test?
2. Will this self correct or do I have to change out all of the water?
2a. If I have to change the water whats stopping it from affecting the new water?
2b. If the problem is self correcting, how long till the tank is clear and ready for animals?

bertoni
03/08/2012, 04:59 AM
It's possible to test for hydrogen sulfide, but it oxidizes rapidly in the water column. I'd let the tank run for a while before adding animals, but hydrogen sulfide should clear fairly quickly, like a few hours. Other compounds might be an issue, though.