PDA

View Full Version : Having terrible time hand-dosing

iwishtofish
03/08/2012, 08:41 AM
I have been trying to maintain my alk at 9 dKH in my 75g tank. I hand dose my alk (Ca not really consumed much), and typically dose around 25-30 ml in the morning, and then in the evening. I use the "pH neutral" mix per the BRS instructions, and my pH doesn't even flinch on my monitor. My alk has fluctuated gradually between a high 8 dKH and a high 9 dKH (API kit).

I only have 3 sps: one old tri-color valida that I light-bleached (and is now regaining purple after months and months); one struggling purple bonsai frag (interceptor dip); and one nice ORA blue vodoo staghorn frag.

The tip of the bonsai was burned some, and tissue still hasn't regenerated. The tips of the staghorn are starting to burn, and that coral looked wonderfl for a couple weeks. The old tri-color is still recovering nicely.

What is causing my tips to burn??

iwishtofish
03/08/2012, 08:44 AM
The stats:

Alk 9 dKH
Ca 440
Sg 1.0265-1.027
Mg About 1300 (just brought up very gradually from 1175)

Lights:

Tek 6-bulb T5 with Giesemann bulbs. 36" from bottom glass of tank. Tank is 21" tall. Bulbs are recent.

Allmost
03/08/2012, 08:50 AM
well, all the problems and swings and instablilities you have listed, have caused the ISsues.

seems like you know how to solve them too :)

iwishtofish
03/08/2012, 09:15 AM
well, all the problems and swings and instablilities you have listed, have caused the ISsues.

seems like you know how to solve them too :)

Magnesium at 1175 low enough to cause bad things? It's been back in the safe zone for over a week, I think, and the staghorn is still deteriorating... :(

Do you have any tips for hand-dosing better, or is there no real way to do that well? I guess what I'm really hoping for is a way to zero in on consumption and figure out exactly how much to dose each day. I don't know why I am having such a hard time with that...

Allmost
03/08/2012, 09:55 AM
any pictures ?

no mg shouldnt have tht effect, I meant swing of KH, none stability of SG. it should be something EXACT, not a range ! also no CA++ consumption means tank is not mature enough yet.

ghostman
03/08/2012, 10:20 AM
+1 to stability. I recently purchased a Bubble Magus doser, and am very happy with the results. Probably the best piece of equipment for piece of mind. Now I dose 24 hours a day, alk and ca are rock solid. My mag is always up there too, I like 1400+. Do you use pellets, zee, or something like that? Alk might be too high if you do. I shoot for 8.0

sneaton
03/08/2012, 10:33 AM
+1 to stability. I recently purchased a Bubble Magus doser, and am very happy with the results. Probably the best piece of equipment for piece of mind. Now I dose 24 hours a day, alk and ca are rock solid. My mag is always up there too, I like 1400+. Do you use pellets, zee, or something like that? Alk might be too high if you do. I shoot for 8.0

=+1 i use pellets and when my alk goes above 8 i notice the tip burns....yesterday i just installed brs 1.1 ml/min dosing pumps and have them set to does 8 times a day.....i cant wait to test today to see my numbers without spilling capfulls of alk and cal everywhere

iwishtofish
03/08/2012, 10:46 AM
I can try to get a picture of the coral later when the lights come on. The coral is deteriorating further - some mesenterial filaments have started to emerge, which is what happened with another staghorn before it died a good while back. I thnk some of my trouble has been reading the API kit. I guess a slight change to yellow indicates a low reading of that number, and a full-yellow is a solid reading of the number? Arg

I have a Hanna Checker for PO4 in the mailbox, just have to go out and get it. I have no real algae growth, aside from a miniscule bit in the sump, so I imagine my PO4 is on the low side. We'll see soon.

I just started to dose a little alk to bring the reading to a solid 9 (was just tested, and solution turned slightly yellow with the 9th drop), but I stopped after dosing about 15ml. Does anyone think I should let it drop to 8 dKH, and try to keep it there?

Thanks for the help!

iwishtofish
03/08/2012, 10:58 AM
Sorry - no pellets. GFO is in use, but probably about saturated. It hasn't been swapped out since the coral arrived. I run carbon, too.

There is some Ca consumption, but it's pretty slow. So I don't dose that unless I notice it dropping. The tank has been up for a year. It was started with 50 lbs of dry rock, 8 lbs of live rock, and has one fish (Kole tang) and some hungry inverts.

RynosReef
03/08/2012, 11:39 AM
Have you considered using kalk? Maybe in your ATO reservoir if you have one? I also have a 75g tank aand was dosing manually about 45ml+ a day to try and maintain. But the cost was getting extreme and without a doser I was getting swings trying to make up for what the corals would use. I switched to kalk about 2 months ago. $12 and it'll last me probably a year as opposed to the $500 I was paying a yr on 2the part. My Alk is very stable now, and im not checking and dosing all the time and the corals have definitely improved color. I still use 2 part but just to tweak the levels slightly. Just my 2 cents worth but it might be worth looking into.

iwishtofish
03/08/2012, 12:45 PM
Have you considered using kalk? Maybe in your ATO reservoir if you have one? I also have a 75g tank aand was dosing manually about 45ml+ a day to try and maintain. But the cost was getting extreme and without a doser I was getting swings trying to make up for what the corals would use. I switched to kalk about 2 months ago. $12 and it'll last me probably a year as opposed to the $500 I was paying a yr on 2the part. My Alk is very stable now, and im not checking and dosing all the time and the corals have definitely improved color. I still use 2 part but just to tweak the levels slightly. Just my 2 cents worth but it might be worth looking into.

I think I should reconsider that. I'd have to clean out a 40b I have laying around, and use it for the reservoir. Isn't there the chance, though, of alk levels rising or falling steadily with kalk? Doesn't it require fine-tuning, as well?

Also, I replenish two or more gallons/day in topoff. I'd feel better dosing it with a dosing pump.

dzhuo
03/08/2012, 12:51 PM
I hand dose my alk (Ca not really consumed much), and typically dose around 25-30 ml in the morning, and then in the evening.

My alk has fluctuated gradually between a high 8 dKH and a high 9 dKH (API kit).

I only have 3 sps

Is the fluctuation daily? You seem to dose a lot of alk for 3 (small, non-growing?) frags. Even if the frags are growing, the amount of alk you dose don't seem to justify the demand.

Have you try stop dosing at all? With 3 small frags in a 75g (+ sump) system, I wouldn't expect your alk to move that much and just bi-weekly water change might be enough until demand goes up.

MammothReefer
03/08/2012, 01:38 PM
I'm sure somebody with a better understanding of water chemistry then me will chime in, but from what I understand and have observed Low magnesium will cause you to have stability issues with alk/calc

I've find when I keep my magnesium where it needs to be I have an easier time keep Alk/Calc where they need to be

"If you push the concentration of either too high, CaCO3 will start to precipitate. Magnesium interferes with this process, permitting both calcium and carbonate to be elevated above where they would be in the absence of magnesium."

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/10/chemistry#section-9

Allmost
03/08/2012, 01:41 PM
I'm sure somebody with a better understanding of water chemistry then me will chime in, but from what I understand and have observed Low magnesium will cause you to have stability issues with alk/calc

I've find when I keep my magnesium where it needs to be I have an easier time keep Alk/Calc where they need to be

"If you push the concentration of either too high, CaCO3 will start to precipitate. Magnesium interferes with this process, permitting both calcium and carbonate to be elevated above where they would be in the absence of magnesium."

+1

MG is the element preventing ca++ and co3 from percipitating.

iwishtofish
03/08/2012, 01:54 PM
Is the fluctuation daily? You seem to dose a lot of alk for 3 (small, non-growing?) frags. Even if the frags are growing, the amount of alk you dose don't seem to justify the demand.

Have you try stop dosing at all? With 3 small frags in a 75g (+ sump) system, I wouldn't expect your alk to move that much and just bi-weekly water change might be enough until demand goes up.

I know that my alk drops if I stop dosing - it has gone as low as 7 dKH before, and I started dosing because I was afraid it would drop even lower. Even though my tank has been up for a year, things have never been stable. I have definitely not done everything perfectly, though, so I bear some blame. I have only done small water changes, and not as frequently as I should. I imagine that is why my magnesium dropped so low.

I have some other corals: a duncan, a trumpet, a torch, a favia, a tiny chalice, a small galaxea, a hydnophora (losing tissue), a small monti cap, some zoas, some GSP. The LPS look pretty healthy right now. Nothing has ever grown well, although I did notice some growth on the chalice recently. Coralline has started growing on my rock in the sump, since I decreased the light in there, but it won't grow up top. I've seen an improvement in colors on one acro, the duncan, and the trumpet since I installed new T5 bulbs. My CBS and remaning hermits have been with me a good while and seem fine. My peppermint shrimp acclimated well and seems fine, too. But for the corals, things just aren't quite right. I lost a beautiful aussie elegance that was doing great for a couple weeks, then rapidly declined. I'm thinking of changing from IO to some other salt, just to see what happens. I'm also thinking of adding more fish, just to dirty things up.

Definitely getting a little discouraged - almost to the point of thinking of taking the whole thing down, even though I have so much money tied up in it. A year in, and things should be so much better. Sorry for the long post!

iwishtofish
03/08/2012, 01:57 PM

+1

MG is the element preventing ca++ and co3 from percipitating.

It's time to test magnesium again. Maybe late tonight, when I get a chance. Over the past week and a half, or so, I've slowly dosed about 1100 ml - I think the BRS calculator said I'd need about 1450 ml to get up to 1375. Thanks

dzhuo
03/08/2012, 02:11 PM
I have definitely not done everything perfectly, though, so I bear some blame.

We all make mistakes so don't be too critical about yourself.

I know that my alk drops if I stop dosing - it has gone as low as 7 dKH before

Try to test alk again today and make a note of it. Stop dosing for a week and check alk again one week from now to see where it's at. I suspect your alk consumption is low but your test kit is fooling you to believe you need to constantly does. At the end of 1 week, you should have a better idea of where your alk will naturalize itself. You really shouldn't have to trace alk all over given the low demand.

The suggestion for making sure your Mag is ~1400 is spot on as the primary reason for a stable Mag is to avoid precipitation.

sneaton
03/08/2012, 02:21 PM
i have a 75 gallon and i only dose 20 ml of each part of b-ionic....tank is fully stocked with growing sps frags/colonies....you can see in my avatar.....api alk is pretty good,i tested against salifert and it was dead on....what salt mix are you using?do you dose all at once and what time of the day? maybe its percipitating

iwishtofish
03/08/2012, 02:59 PM
We all make mistakes so don't be too critical about yourself.

Ok, thanks.

Try to test alk again today and make a note of it. Stop dosing for a week and check alk again one week from now to see where it's at. I suspect your alk consumption is low but your test kit is fooling you to believe you need to constantly does. At the end of 1 week, you should have a better idea of where your alk will naturalize itself. You really shouldn't have to trace alk all over given the low demand.

If it does drop significantly (like from 9 to 7), will that have an adverse effect on my LPS? Lot of money in those...

The suggestion for making sure your Mag is ~1400 is spot on as the primary reason for a stable Mag is to avoid precipitation.

I'll test both alk and magnesium this evening.

i have a 75 gallon and i only dose 20 ml of each part of b-ionic....tank is fully stocked with growing sps frags/colonies....you can see in my avatar.....api alk is pretty good,i tested against salifert and it was dead on....what salt mix are you using?do you dose all at once and what time of the day? maybe its percipitating

I haven't seen any signs of precipitation...wouldn't it coat things like my heater? I split the alk dose. Half in the morning, and half in the evening. I don't drip it, but I try to pour it in slowly, time permitting.

dzhuo
03/08/2012, 03:32 PM
If it does drop significantly (like from 9 to 7), will that have an adverse effect on my LPS? Lot of money in those...

I don't think it will. I just don't see (from your description) how the kind of grow rate or corals you have justify the demand. You are dosing roughly 60ml (or less) a day which should only affect 0.4 dKH so it doesn't add up to the 8 dKH to 9 dKH swing. Even if you add all 60ml at the same time, it wouldn't be able to bring your alk up that much. This leads me to believe your numbers are not accurate and your are measuring the affect of the dose; not consumption. If you let alone your tank for 5 or 7 days, you should have a better idea of where alk naturally falls. Once you have determine that, you can easily average out the daily dosage. It's far better to maintain alk this way other than trying to fight it higher or lower. If you are concern, just pay extra attention to your corals during this no dose period.

klondike4001
03/08/2012, 04:12 PM
I don't think it will. I just don't see (from your description) how the kind of grow rate or corals you have justify the demand. You are dosing roughly 60ml (or less) a day which should only affect 0.4 dKH so it doesn't add up to the 8 dKH to 9 dKH swing. Even if you add all 60ml at the same time, it wouldn't be able to bring your alk up that much. This leads me to believe your numbers are not accurate and your are measuring the affect of the dose; not consumption. If you let alone your tank for 5 or 7 days, you should have a better idea of where alk naturally falls. Once you have determine that, you can easily average out the daily dosage. It's far better to maintain alk this way other than trying to fight it higher or lower. If you are concern, just pay extra attention to your corals during this no dose period.

I fought mine for a long time trying to keep it at 9 and finally got fed up. I let it be for a week and it leveled off at 8.0, it's much easier to keep it running at 8. Might be something to think about.

fishguy597
03/08/2012, 06:48 PM
Do yourself a favor and check your test kit with another. Sounds like your using API and they are never very accurate. that is more of a softie tank kit. other then that you are getting good advise. I have been hand dosing and its not easy, good luck to you.

kawicivic
03/08/2012, 07:32 PM
I fought mine for a long time trying to keep it at 9 and finally got fed up. I let it be for a week and it leveled off at 8.0, it's much easier to keep it running at 8. Might be something to think about.

Do yourself a favor and check your test kit with another. Sounds like your using API and they are never very accurate. that is more of a softie tank kit. other then that you are getting good advise. I have been hand dosing and its not easy, good luck to you.

I agree with these comments (as well as others). Don't get so set on "perfect" numbers. Good growth although not perfect growth, is way better thanno growth.

I think your tips are burning from alk swings. I think kalk is probably sufficient to maintain your sps unless the Lps you were talking about are really big. Kalk in the top off can sustain a moderately stocked tank especially in areas that are dry and have high rates of evaporation

Good luck!

kawicivic
03/08/2012, 07:39 PM
Here's another to follow:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2142272

iwishtofish
03/08/2012, 09:08 PM

I think I may give that a try, although it scares me. Sounds like a giant swing if it drops to 7 and I have to get it back up to 9! I'm generally keeping my alk within 9, but it probably ranges from 9.1 to 9.9, and then every so often out of those bounds. Impossible for me to tell with an API kit. I wish they made an electronic alk meter, and a controller to dose as needed! :)

I'm just worried that mine won't level off until it gets to 7 (or lower)!

I know I need to buy a test kit with decimal readings, just haven't done it yet due to $$, and the hope that the API is good enough. I now know I don't read it well, and that it doesn't have enough precision for me to narrow down a dose.

I agree with these comments (as well as others). Don't get so set on "perfect" numbers. Good growth although not perfect growth, is way better thanno growth.

I think your tips are burning from alk swings. I think kalk is probably sufficient to maintain your sps unless the Lps you were talking about are really big. Kalk in the top off can sustain a moderately stocked tank especially in areas that are dry and have high rates of evaporation

Good luck!

I will seriously look into kalk!

Here's another to follow:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2142272

Wow, wide range of preferred alk levels!

Thanks, everyone. My alk tested at 9 (as usual) this afternoon, although the vial had hint of blue in it. So probably a lower 9.

I'm going to try to get to testing magnesium within the hour. (I hate that test - need to be steadier and have better visual concentration than I typically muster at night!)

chefzif
03/08/2012, 09:18 PM
Low Mag can also give false readings aswell and I would invest in a good 2 part doser! GHL Profilux or a Lietermeter! IMO

iwishtofish
03/08/2012, 09:19 PM
A picture as promised - insistent tang and all...

Now

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb113/bjdoyle64/tips01.jpg

Earlier, trouble starting

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb113/bjdoyle64/bluevoodoo_trouble03.jpg

pusanpa
03/09/2012, 02:37 AM
I'd get a BRS dosing pump with digital timer for ALK to prevent PH swing.
You don't really need dosing pump for CA and MG. Ca powder can be dosed into your sump.

If you dose bacteria or bacteria food try lowering ALK to 6-7. High alk in bacteria system will cause tip burns.

pusanpa
03/09/2012, 02:39 AM
API KH kit is very accurate IME. I compared it with Salifert before ...they read the same.
I have 6 test bottles...they all give me same readings.

thereefranch
03/09/2012, 07:41 AM
I think the API kits are fine as well. I went out and bought the Hanna/Milwaukee digital testers and found that they are just as innaccurate as anything else. It may not be the actual digital piece, more than it is counting the drops, or better yet, getting all the powder into your vial. Stick with the API, they are close enough.

Tip burns and base RTN can happen easier in a LNS with high buffer #'s.

PH swings need to be quite large to really affect your tank. I keep a PH meter on my tank all the time. It varies from 7.9 at night to 8.2 in the day. Thats been typical for me for about 8 years now. I often tried to get the PH up, but really was way more trouble than results showed. I run my buffer at 7-8 (no higher), but have had it as far down as 6 with comparible results.

'dzhuo'- "If you let alone your tank for 5 or 7 days, you should have a better idea of where alk naturally falls." ----- Darn good advice!

Good Luck:thumbsup:

iwishtofish
03/09/2012, 08:50 AM
I'd get a BRS dosing pump with digital timer for ALK to prevent PH swing.
You don't really need dosing pump for CA and MG. Ca powder can be dosed into your sump.

If you dose bacteria or bacteria food try lowering ALK to 6-7. High alk in bacteria system will cause tip burns.

I don't think I have an LNS. I feed my tang and inverts a pretty good bit of food, and dump some reef chili in for my corals daily (not tons, though). I just received a Hanna PO4 Checker. How does one deduce if they have a LNS by testing?

Yes, a BRS dosing pump, if not kalk, is inevitable.

API KH kit is very accurate IME. I compared it with Salifert before ...they read the same.

Good to know, but isn't it nice to know a decimal reading, so one can narrow down the swings, if possible (ie. preventing swing from 9.2 dKH to 9.8 dKH)?

I think the API kits are fine as well. I went out and bought the Hanna/Milwaukee digital testers and found that they are just as innaccurate as anything else. It may not be the actual digital piece, more than it is counting the drops, or better yet, getting all the powder into your vial. Stick with the API, they are close enough.

Tip burns and base RTN can happen easier in a LNS with high buffer #'s.

PH swings need to be quite large to really affect your tank. I keep a PH meter on my tank all the time. It varies from 7.9 at night to 8.2 in the day. Thats been typical for me for about 8 years now. I often tried to get the PH up, but really was way more trouble than results showed. I run my buffer at 7-8 (no higher), but have had it as far down as 6 with comparible results.

'dzhuo'- "If you let alone your tank for 5 or 7 days, you should have a better idea of where alk naturally falls." ----- Darn good advice!

Good Luck:thumbsup:

My pH swings aren't huge. Less than 1 point (maybe 8.09 to 8.15), now that I am watching more carefully. Most people seem to think it is wiser to keep alk around 8 vs. 9. Maybe that should be my aim.

iwishtofish
03/09/2012, 11:35 AM
Hmmm...magnesium this morning at 1440 (Salifert, tested twice). Calcium is still 440. Is the magnesium too high, and maybe causing problems?

fishguy597
03/09/2012, 03:11 PM

Not trying to start a fight but that's a bold statement. have you ever had 2 different api. tests tell you that you were at 9 to find out you are really at 15? I have.How do you distinguish between 8,8.5,&9? Bottom line not accurate at all. rock solid alk are the only way to go IMO .

MammothReefer
03/09/2012, 03:45 PM
Hmmm...magnesium this morning at 1440 (Salifert, tested twice). Calcium is still 440. Is the magnesium too high, and maybe causing problems?

No 1440 is fine.

rogerwilco357
03/09/2012, 04:35 PM

I would just do bi-weekly water changes from now on and see what that does or you might over do it and the corals might bleach out due to the alk. I have the same problem and started with the water changes now stablized since my corals are 3 frags lol not much consumed there. good luck hope it works out.

iwishtofish
03/09/2012, 04:44 PM
I would just do bi-weekly water changes from now on and see what that does or you might over do it and the corals might bleach out due to the alk. I have the same problem and started with the water changes now stablized since my corals are 3 frags lol not much consumed there. good luck hope it works out.

Thanks, I hope it works out, too.

I wish I knew where my alk was going. My magnesium is high enough to prevent it from precipitating, right? Something is consuming it - otherwise my alk would be 20 dKH by now!

I'm sure the corals are using at least some. Maybe the coralline growing in the sump is a factor.

iwishtofish
03/09/2012, 04:50 PM
No 1440 is fine.

Ok, good. Don't know how I overshot so much. Must have miscalculated my TWV.

RynosReef
03/09/2012, 08:45 PM
Yep 1440 is fine. Mag like anything is better if kept stable but has a wider tolerance of acceptable levels.

Alk on the other hand does not. If you're a serious SPS keeper, I recommend only using test kits that can measure in the tenths, not just whole numbers. So.. a kit that can measure 7.5, 7.8, 8.1, 8.4 ect. good. A kit that measure only 7, 8, 9, ect. not so good. This limits the API kit unfortunately. I'll use them in a pinch but would never consider using them for fine tuning my kH.

iwishtofish
03/09/2012, 10:03 PM
Yep 1440 is fine. Mag like anything is better if kept stable but has a wider tolerance of acceptable levels.

Alk on the other hand does not. If you're a serious SPS keeper, I recommend only using test kits that can measure in the tenths, not just whole numbers. So.. a kit that can measure 7.5, 7.8, 8.1, 8.4 ect. good. A kit that measure only 7, 8, 9, ect. not so good. This limits the API kit unfortunately. I'll use them in a pinch but would never consider using them for fine tuning my kH.

Yeah, I raised my magnesium very slowly, but I sure raised it a lot (from 1175).

I really thought I had a lot of things in order to keep SPS. I knew stability was important - particularly alk - but I had no idea it had to be THAT stable. I didn't even know it was possible to keep alk that stable, considering all the variables in tank of growing animals! I'll hold off on any further SPS until I get things straight. The staghorn is going south fast, now. The others are holding on.

Crooke
03/09/2012, 11:07 PM
To increase your API alk kit's resolution, magnify the testing volume. Instead of using the 5mL tube the kit comes with I use a shot glass and measure sample volumes with a 50mL syringe. A 10mL sample volume makes your API test .5 degrees per drop, 20mL gives you .25 per drop and so on.

Regardless of the accuracy of the API kit vs other brands, measuring the same way each time will diagnose stability issues if that's actually what's going on.

RynosReef
03/09/2012, 11:21 PM
Well don't get discouraged. Everyone is on the same road just different places on it. And stable alk is something you never stop chasing as your sps collection grows and they grow themselves. You're doing great if it's just burnt tips your worried about... I've bleached out my fair share of corals due to alk probs :) :)

If you can consistently keep alk from swinging more than 1dKH to 1.5dKH per day you can keep SPS. But they will do better if the swing is kept to a minimum of say 0.5 dkH within a 24hr period. So 8 to 10 for example in one day is bad. I would recommend first getting a good test kit like a salifert kh or red sea. And then hold off dosing a few days and test frequently to see how much your kh drops. Don't let it get below 7 though. Then start out dosing say 5ml for example and see if that maintains it. If not go up. Once you get it dialed in maybe split up the dosage like half in the morning and half at night. Or get a doser or try out kalk if your up to it.

It's not too hard. Just take it slow :)

dunk373
03/09/2012, 11:24 PM
The brs reef calc. For mg is off. I did the same think but to 1600 lol no ill effects. I chased dkh too for about two months. I was dripping it with that jug dropper and adding calcium in the am. To me it seems alk will be where it wants to be it'll keep dropping until eventually it will balance out. I now have a doser and it is so much better. I used to dose 130ml alk and 100ca to keep alk at 9 I now dose both equal and corals grow the same. Also brs says add 20ml of mag after you use a gallon of two part which is accurate. Keep at it it'll get better. You have all these people to help. Just imagine no Internet lol. I have gone through exactly the same as you are now. But if you get dosing pumps don't let one run out like I did. It rtn'ed a coral and it's frag my dkh went up 2 points.

iwishtofish
03/10/2012, 10:46 AM
To increase your API alk kit's resolution, magnify the testing volume. Instead of using the 5mL tube the kit comes with I use a shot glass and measure sample volumes with a 50mL syringe. A 10mL sample volume makes your API test .5 degrees per drop, 20mL gives you .25 per drop and so on.

Regardless of the accuracy of the API kit vs other brands, measuring the same way each time will diagnose stability issues if that's actually what's going on.

Thanks for that tip! Right now when I test, I use a cheap medical syringe to measure 5ml, rather than trust the line on the tube. I also invert the solution bottle and waste the first drop to ensure that all the drops will be as consistent as possible. I also waste the first drop every time I have to invert the bottle again, after shaking the tube.

I'm hoping that helps to ensure consistent testing.

Well don't get discouraged. Everyone is on the same road just different places on it. And stable alk is something you never stop chasing as your sps collection grows and they grow themselves. You're doing great if it's just burnt tips your worried about... I've bleached out my fair share of corals due to alk probs :) :)

If you can consistently keep alk from swinging more than 1dKH to 1.5dKH per day you can keep SPS. But they will do better if the swing is kept to a minimum of say 0.5 dkH within a 24hr period. So 8 to 10 for example in one day is bad. I would recommend first getting a good test kit like a salifert kh or red sea. And then hold off dosing a few days and test frequently to see how much your kh drops. Don't let it get below 7 though. Then start out dosing say 5ml for example and see if that maintains it. If not go up. Once you get it dialed in maybe split up the dosage like half in the morning and half at night. Or get a doser or try out kalk if your up to it.

It's not too hard. Just take it slow :)

Great advice - thanks! Not just burnt tips on the staghorn, I'm afraid. Now the edge of all the coralites are starting to suffer - it's strange, a while back I put a pocillopora in my tank, and it almost just melted away. Now that my levels are pretty good, I didn't expect this to happen. At least the other acro (tri-color, about 9 mos) still looks like it is actually improving. Strange things going on...

The brs reef calc. For mg is off. I did the same think but to 1600 lol no ill effects. I chased dkh too for about two months. I was dripping it with that jug dropper and adding calcium in the am. To me it seems alk will be where it wants to be it'll keep dropping until eventually it will balance out. I now have a doser and it is so much better. I used to dose 130ml alk and 100ca to keep alk at 9 I now dose both equal and corals grow the same. Also brs says add 20ml of mag after you use a gallon of two part which is accurate. Keep at it it'll get better. You have all these people to help. Just imagine no Internet lol. I have gone through exactly the same as you are now. But if you get dosing pumps don't let one run out like I did. It rtn'ed a coral and it's frag my dkh went up 2 points.

No Internet! I can't imagine!

My Ca doesn't seem to be consumed. Am I having a different effect by just dosing alk, and not Ca? I know my alk is being consumed - exactly where, I am not sure...

iwishtofish
03/10/2012, 10:48 AM
The descent continues...only two corals expiring, but it's kind of rapid.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb113/bjdoyle64/dying_staghorn01.jpg

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb113/bjdoyle64/dying_hydno01.jpg