PDA

View Full Version : garlic with vinegar Ok to ad to foods?

Devaji108
03/08/2012, 02:00 PM
so my new fish in QT are not eating as well I i would like. have them for one weeks now..
fish are:
royal gramma
six line
tail spot blennie
they are in a well cycled 40BR QT tank.
I have tried ocean nat. formula 1 and frozen brine.
the RG and the tail spot will accept the brine, but not much of the formula 1
and the six line does not eat much if anything at all :(

I have no LFS within 100 miles (each way) on me. so i was thinking about DIY some garlic to entice them to feed more. there is a liquied garlic at the store that has vinegar in it, I guess as a preservative. will that be ok to add the the foods?

also thinking of making some DIY fish food to...:reading:

Reef264
03/08/2012, 10:52 PM
Well, people dose vinigar in there tanks, so I don't see why it wouldn't be ok in your food.Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

Big E
03/09/2012, 08:45 AM
I wouldn't feed vinegar to fish.................go to the produce section of your store & buy garlic, you can smash it up for the juice.

Honestly I wouldn't even bother with the garlic. Buy some raw seafood like scallops or clams. You'll have to freeze & mince it up, but those smelly foods will cause a better feeding response.

Daniel Reef
03/09/2012, 09:15 AM
Does your grocery store sell minced garlic in a jar? You don't have to do the mincing yourself and you can use the garlic juice from the jar. But I agree that you should first try fresh clams and scallops.

Devaji108
03/09/2012, 09:21 AM
yes they have minced in the jar but is has olive oil in it...
i'll try the fresh stuff. I hate them smell of seafood and being a vegetarian for over 15 years the thought makes me sick...:( but maybe the GF will help out.

Daniel Reef
03/09/2012, 09:29 AM
I can't imagine that scallops and clams would have any more significant smell then the frozen brine that you already feed your fish. Unfortunately, most fish are also meat eaters.

Devaji108
03/09/2012, 01:03 PM
i'll give the clams and scallops a shot. the blennie and RG are eating OK but the six line needs some help.

poorguy
03/09/2012, 02:52 PM
I made my own garlic juice and mixed with food, my fishes love it. I would not touch market jar garlic because I don't know what they added in there. Good luck

Daniel Reef
03/09/2012, 08:54 PM
I was at the grocery store today and thought of you Devaji108. I looked at various jars of garlic and they all contain oils and other ingredients. I would not recommend using a product from the grocery store; other than mincing your own fresh garlic. Marine Garlic Extreme (http://www.marinedepot.com/Kent_Marine_Garlic_Xtreme_1_oz._Garlic_Additives_Supplements-Kent_Marine-KM3631-FIADAG-vi.html) contains citric acid and ascorbic Acid (as preservatives).

Devaji108
03/10/2012, 11:21 AM
yeah I have a very nice juicer so I might go that way and ad Vit. C =ascorbic acid
just don't know how long it will take for the garlic smell and taste to go away. but I might give it a try.

anyone have tips to get garlic smell and tast out of a juicer? I am thinking soaking it in vinegar??

10g reef
03/10/2012, 10:14 PM
In my mind garlic really isn't worth using unless you are trying to get newly acclimated fish to eat. Definitely wouldn't use garlic with vinegar though.