PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Dosing with vinegar: question for Randy

GhostRider58
03/08/2012, 05:28 PM
I have a few questions for Randy, or any other chemist in the forum. I just want someone else to check my calculations.
First, I am dosing carbon using the data from the now famous article "Vodka dosing...Distilled". At this point I am up to 5.6 mL vinegar (that's 5% aqueous acetic acid). I bought a dosing pump from BRS that doses 1.1 mL/min. Now adding such a small amount of solution is rather inaccurate. So, I prepared a 1.5% aq. acetic acid solution (15 mL glacial acetic acid in 1 L water). If my calculations are correct, then 18.66 mL of 1.5% aq. acetic acid equals 5.6 mL of vinegar (5% soln). Is that correct? Now dosing 18.66 mL solution at 1.1 mL/min, I would set the timer for 17 min. Correct? I did the calculations by determining the amount of moles needed, but I want to be sure and have another chemist check my work. Simple calculations, but sometimes it is good to have a referee.

Thank you in advance for checking my work.

Tom

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/08/2012, 06:08 PM
A home depot timer can drive the pump for exact 1 minute intervals, and 5 of those spread through the day is a good way to go using straight vinegar.

I'm concerned about diluting vinegar too much as bacteria can begin to grow in it when diluted.

But as to the calculations, they look right. :)

GhostRider58
03/08/2012, 06:15 PM
Randy, thank you for the quick reply, I didn't think about a problem with bacteria. I am using my RKL for the timer. I can try to set it up using vinegar and see how it goes. Thanks again!

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/09/2012, 05:35 AM
You're welcome.

Good luck. :)