PDA

View Full Version : How to keep my Biofilter alive?

wisnia99
03/09/2012, 08:29 AM
Hi guys I have a JBJ 28 Gal nano cube.
after addition of my first fish i had an ICH outbreak now after i take the fish out I want to wait 8 weeks for the Ich to die off, but there will be no bioload to feed the bacteria. Should i just put some food in there everyday like i would feed the fish?

I dont want another cycle when I add new fish in 2 months.

Thanks.

troyman
03/09/2012, 08:37 AM
keep fedding few flakes everyday you will be fine i wouldnt skim either

spieszak
03/09/2012, 08:39 AM
Yes, add some food like you were feeding your fish and that will keep your tank cycled. How much is more the question... Remember you have to continue to ensure your CuC is eating too... You don't want to me adding much food at all (small pinch of flake), unless you have other inhabitants to consider.
If you only have a single fish to return to the DT, then no worries when you return him.. If you qt more fish while waiting out the ich, consider adding the fish more slowly to the DT.

wisnia99
03/09/2012, 08:58 AM
thanks guys ill feed some mysis shrimp since thats what i have on my hands.

Mr. Demeanor
03/09/2012, 09:57 AM
Why not put an invert or two in the tank to keep it going. Maybe a couple nice shrimp. At least youll have something to watch in the meantime. Thats what I am doing right now as a matter of fact.

wisnia99
03/09/2012, 10:35 AM
Why not put an invert or two in the tank to keep it going. Maybe a couple nice shrimp. At least youll have something to watch in the meantime. Thats what I am doing right now as a matter of fact.

Great Idea! what shrimp you got in there?