PDA

View Full Version : Bulkhead issues

hampmp
03/09/2012, 10:33 AM
I have installed 3 bulkheads in my system and I've taped them tightened them and plumbed the rest of my tank into the sump. when I was doing my water test on the system I am getting a drip from each one of the 3 under neath the screw on the back of the bulkhead. The gasket is on the wet side I hand tightened them and even tried using a pair of pliers once I saw the leak from the back and I'm still getting a single drip from all of them. Does anyone have any advise on how to get these sealed?

der_wille_zur_macht
03/09/2012, 10:49 AM
Where did you "tape" them? The nut threads on straight, it has no taper and needs no tape. Taping the nut will throw off any chance of knowing if you've threaded it on tightly enough or not.

Don't think in terms of wet or dry sides. Think in terms of a nut side and a flange side. The gasket has to be on the flange side, regardless of if it's wet or dry. Otherwise you'll get leaks from the threads, which is what it sounds like you're describing.

hampmp
03/09/2012, 11:04 AM
Taped the threads on the bulk head. The Nuts seems to be on straight. The Gasket is on the flange side.

Spectre2006
03/09/2012, 11:28 AM
I had problems with bulkheads in different types of overflows. Before you install a bulkhead you should lightly screw the bulkhead together with the gasket in between. A good bulkhead will immediately grip and it will be hard to unwind them.

Slight flaws in bulkheads you will see that when they are screwed together, there is slight separation between gasket/plastic. This will save you some headaches in regards to bulkheads. When they are manufactured flaws can exist. Also the gasket has two specific surfaces one side of the gasket against the glass should be flush, the other side is not as flat over entire surface, this the side that the plastic sticks to.

its good to have extra sets just in case you need to switch different parts of the bulkhead out.