PDA

View Full Version : How to do a Herbie with 2 overflows?

ghostman
03/09/2012, 11:12 AM
I'm sure this question has been answered a million times, but I can't find it in my searches. I'm getting a 240 gallon cube with 2 overflow boxes. I would like a silent overflow system and have researched the Herbie. How can I do this and have it be balanced? If I put both Herbie drains in 1 overflow, could I use the other overflow for 2 returns? What about the water in the return overflow? Would it get stagnant with no turnover? I'm at a loss
Please help!!! If anyone has return pump recommendations, that would be great too. I'm leaning toward a Reeflo Dart.
Thanks to the plumbing pros and gurus!!!!!

nanojg
03/09/2012, 11:15 AM
I would personally use 3 of the holes for drains and 1 for a return. You can do another return over the back of the tank if you wish. I have one overflow box on my 90 and use both holes for my herbie drain and have 2 over the back return lines.

der_wille_zur_macht
03/09/2012, 11:20 AM
If you put a Herbie in one overflow and used both holes in the other overflow for returns, the water in the second overflow would be totally stagnant. I'd suggest either putting a Herbie in both, removing one overflow box, or altering it so water can't get in (extend the weir above the operating water level for the system).

uncleof6
03/09/2012, 12:18 PM
I'm sure this question has been answered a million times, but I can't find it in my searches. I'm getting a 240 gallon cube with 2 overflow boxes. I would like a silent overflow system and have researched the Herbie. How can I do this and have it be balanced? If I put both Herbie drains in 1 overflow, could I use the other overflow for 2 returns? What about the water in the return overflow? Would it get stagnant with no turnover? I'm at a loss
Please help!!! If anyone has return pump recommendations, that would be great too. I'm leaning toward a Reeflo Dart.
Thanks to the plumbing pros and gurus!!!!!

Well all things considered, I would not waste the money on a big tank with dual overflows, rather invest in a little custom drilling, and not be limited by the manufacturers concept of how a tank should be overflowed and plumbed.

Dart is a good pump for this system, the limitations being the corner overflows, in terms of length vs flow rate vs teeth.

needmore-reef
03/10/2012, 12:18 AM
You can connect two drains from each overflow box and use one gate valve at the sump.

bmullikin1
03/10/2012, 07:54 AM
I have a standard 180 w dual corner overflows, i used the herbie mehtod, and it works great. each overflow has 1 siphon, 1 emergency overflow. the returns are brought over the top of the tank in the back. i did mod the teeth on the stock weirs, took out everyother tooth, then used gutterguard to make sure no one gets sucked in.

hillscp
03/10/2012, 11:06 AM
Post number 24 here shows how I did my 125 with two overflows. Works fine with ~1200 per hr through the sump

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2140373

TheAquatard
03/10/2012, 11:36 AM
I feel like adjusting 2 syphon drains to match the return would be very annoying. You may want to put the full syphon in one and the emergency in the other. Remember, the emergency should be taking water down it as well.

syphon drain ttakes 95% of the flow
emergeny takes 5%ish

The reason being, you cannot adjust the syphon drain to perfectly match the return pump. It will always be a little off, so you over shoot it.

uncleof6
03/10/2012, 01:52 PM
I feel like adjusting 2 syphon drains to match the return would be very annoying. You may want to put the full syphon in one and the emergency in the other. Remember, the emergency should be taking water down it as well.

syphon drain ttakes 95% of the flow
emergeny takes 5%ish

The reason being, you cannot adjust the syphon drain to perfectly match the return pump. It will always be a little off, so you over shoot it.

Negative. There should be NO flow in the emergency drain at all. Period. That short circuits the concept of requiring a DRY emergency, when running a siphon system. Do not confuse the so called "herbie" with BeanAnimals system that utilizes an open channel, with a small amount of flow in it, and a DRY emergency.

uncleof6
03/10/2012, 01:56 PM
You can connect two drains from each overflow box and use one gate valve at the sump.

No this would not work out well, unless each standpipe flowed identical. They need to be adjusted independently, because there is little chance of the flow being identical in each standpipe.

hillscp
03/10/2012, 04:03 PM
There is nothing more entertaining than a discussion about how to plumb an aquarium :lmao:

EddieJ
03/10/2012, 09:20 PM
Negative. There should be NO flow in the emergency drain at all. Period. That short circuits the concept of requiring a DRY emergency, when running a siphon system. Do not confuse the so called "herbie" with BeanAnimals system that utilizes an open channel, with a small amount of flow in it, and a DRY emergency.

I run my 210 with dual overflows as follows:

1 Full siphon and 1 Emergency/open channel in each overflow, returns come up of the back of the tank. There is a small amount that trickles down the Emergency/open channel. If I turn off the gate valves on each full siphon, the other 2 emergency/open channels handle the flow just fine. I actually think just one of the emergency/open channels can handle all the flow as they can go full siphon. Now I do have a basement sump with like a 10 ft drop. so the 1 inch pipe can handle like 4000 gph...

uncleof6
03/10/2012, 09:36 PM
I run my 210 with dual overflows as follows:

1 Full siphon and 1 Emergency/open channel in each overflow, returns come up of the back of the tank. There is a small amount that trickles down the Emergency/open channel. If I turn off the gate valves on each full siphon, the other 2 emergency/open channels handle the flow just fine. I actually think just one of the emergency/open channels can handle all the flow as they can go full siphon. Now I do have a basement sump with like a 10 ft drop. so the 1 inch pipe can handle like 4000 gph...

I am sorry, but this is a complete misunderstanding of the principles that differentiate the two systems. It is exactly, why we have countless times gone through this, to eliminate the confusion. A pipe with water in it is a plug risk. You may do as you wish, as anyone can, but this system is neither a "Herbie" or a BeanAnimal, and it is not failsafe. :) If you run two pipes with water in them, ALL THREE PIPES MUST BE USED. If you have 4 pipes with water in them--you need two more. Simple. It will work till it floods your house--then OOOPPPSSS.

uncleof6
03/10/2012, 09:41 PM
There is nothing more entertaining than a discussion about how to plumb an aquarium :lmao:

:uzi: