PDA

View Full Version : Red algae forming on my sand bed.

Carlagracie
03/09/2012, 05:00 PM
I have had a 29g bio cube up and running now for just over a month. Livestock include 2 clowns, purple firefish and a cleaner shrimp. My tank has cycled and my parameters are add follows. Ammonia0 nitrite0 and nitrate10. Over the past 2 days there is a couple spots on my sand bed that have this red algae on it. I'm assuming this is cayno? I have a reefcleaners cuc and they don't seem to eat it. Is there anything that I can do?

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk

dzfish17
03/09/2012, 06:08 PM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2095174

dlsnodgrass
03/09/2012, 09:34 PM
If you don't have coral in it yet there is a product that kill red slime algea. You add it, turn off skimmers, and 24 hours later do a water change. You can go 48 hours before the water change. It works great, and I had a lot of coral also. Have heard horror story on its affect on coral before, even though mine did fine. Its called RedCyano Rx. I saw results in 8 hours. If your tank is only a month old, you have to much live stock for a 29 gal and you may be leaving the lights on to long. I would treat and cut down the light time. The three fish in a small new tank is too much. Your algea is growing and that why your nitrates are not higher than they already are. I feel your pain, becuase I've I have been there too.

MARINECRITTERS
03/09/2012, 09:58 PM
sea hare.....

poorguy
03/09/2012, 11:23 PM
turn off lights for 3 days, increase flow, GFO reactor.

Daddie05
01/21/2015, 01:41 PM
I just got some red algae in Mt sand bed last week. I want to do turn my lights (LEDs) off, but I have some corals. Can they survive 3 days without lights?

Yellow Eyes
01/21/2015, 02:17 PM
Corals will be fine. I just finished 3 months of the 3 day lights out with some LPS corals: acans, torch, frogspawn, hammer, and some zoas. They were fine, and Cyano has disappeared; although after the first month it came back with a vengeance and had me doubting the effectiveness...so just stick with it.

whosurcaddie
01/21/2015, 02:45 PM
If you do the three days lights out only run actinics on the 4th day then full spectrum after that. You need to do a large water change while the lights are out because there will be a lot of die off from the algae and if you don't remove it you will be back in the same boat you were before. Do the water change on the third day.

julie180
01/21/2015, 04:03 PM
Lights out will work temp but unless you address the cause, high nitrates/phosphates and/or low flow, it will keep coming back.

I take a piece of vinyl tube and siphon out the cyano and any sand that come with it. If you want to reuse the sand, make sure to rinse it very well.

Daddie05
01/25/2015, 03:55 PM
If you do the three days lights out only run actinics on the 4th day then full spectrum after that. You need to do a large water change while the lights are out because there will be a lot of die off from the algae and if you don't remove it you will be back in the same boat you were before. Do the water change on the third day.

Lights out will work temp but unless you address the cause, high nitrates/phosphates and/or low flow, it will keep coming back.

I take a piece of vinyl tube and siphon out the cyano and any sand that come with it. If you want to reuse the sand, make sure to rinse it very well.

Corals will be fine. I just finished 3 months of the 3 day lights out with some LPS corals: acans, torch, frogspawn, hammer, and some zoas. They were fine, and Cyano has disappeared; although after the first month it came back with a vengeance and had me doubting the effectiveness...so just stick with it.
Thanks for the replies...
I have the Kessil A360we's so I don't know how the process would work with these.