PDA

View Full Version : Sum1 help!

Gm1392
03/09/2012, 08:16 PM
Hey guys,

So i had a 10g tank layin around that was previously a terarium for my black emperor scorpion. I recently decided to turn it into a nano reef. Before i get any corals (my main focus for this tank) I plan on going with about a 4" live sand bed and a bunch of live rock. The filter is well, the cheapest i could get at petco (aqueon rated for 10-20g). Based on my recent research, i feel like ive got lighting and temp. under control ( just ordered 75w 14,000k mh lamp + 100w heater). My question is, what kind of powerhead should i be looking for? Ive found that i should b looking for something with a wide, gentle water flow. I would also like to kno what the ideal range of gph is that i would need; also, i prefer something mounted on a ball joint so i have 360 degree control over the flow of water. If anybody can give me some specific model ideas it would be greatly appreciated!
Thanx!
Gm

P.s. Tried posting this twice already! 1st time i got suggestion that i try posting here instead, 2nd time, post never, ummm posted... Any help would be awesome! Thanx=D

bpcardona
03/09/2012, 08:34 PM
So to simply answer the question.... Hydor make great pumps for a low cost, get the nano sized ( I think 250 ).

http://www.saltysupply.com/Hydor-Koralia-Nano-Mini-Pump-Powe-p/hd19501.htm

However, I can tell you a more in depth answer you are not going to like. This hobby is equal part filtration, filtration, filtration and lighting, lighting, lighting. I started with a small 10g tank a while ago with minimal filtration and powerful lighting. I tried to host corals with zero success. I spent a lot of money on coral, anemones, and inverts to find them all dead within a few weeks or days. If I had spent that wasted money on the filtration, and husbandry equipment I would be in a much better place. My suggestion, DON'T do it until you are ready to invest a ton in equipment. Sorry if this is a bubble burst-er. Just my advice. Hope it helps.........

Gm1392
03/09/2012, 10:20 PM
Not at all! Thanx for the info. im prepared to spend the $. I just want to get the right equipment for my $. My brother has a tank thats been running for almost a year, we bought some fish and corals that ended up dying rather quickly (im convinced it was a combo of weak lighting/weak filtration). He basically started over, im trying to start my own reef and want everything to be the best quality i can afford. I guess what i was mostly interested in finding out is how much is too much? Whats the max size i should use for a 10g tank w/o diggin up my sandbed n disrupting the helpful bacteria in it?

AquaBison
03/09/2012, 11:21 PM
First of all, you don't want the filter. Take it back, get it as far away as possible from the tank. Live rock is your filter. It's not cheap, but it's the right and best way to do it.

You need at least 8lbs, 10+ would be better, of live rock for a 10g. If you're looking to save some money, buy a few pounds of live rock. Then buy the rest in dry rock and give it 2 or 3 weeks for the live rock to seed the dry.