PDA

View Full Version : Heater configuration suggestion

nickjj
03/09/2012, 11:45 PM
Since switching to LED lighting my two 250W ebo jager heaters are working overtime these days. My tank is in the basement where it is a little cooler and really didn't get a big workout when I had MH/T5 lighting, actually my fans were on more cooling the tank.

Help me decide if I should add a third 250W or 300W unit or swap the two 250's for two 300's or some other combination. I am using an aquatronica controller to control the heaters.

I have to say since the switch to LED's my tank temperature is much more consistant throughout the day even though the heaters are working harder.

So much for the energy savings with LED's.

jerpa
03/10/2012, 06:22 AM
I think the most cost effective solution is to add one more 250W heater. It also gives more redundancy in case a heater fails off and the lower wattage helps mitigate the effect of it failing on.

Many people don't consider the extra time their heaters will have to run with the absence of MH lighting when making the switch. It definitely takes a chunk out of the energy savings. However you should still see a net savings as a 250w heater will heat the water more efficiently than a 250 watt MH fixture will. Where most offset the increased heating cost is with the reduction/elimination of a chiller. I believe watt for watt heaters are more efficient than chillers so you do save money heating the tank instead of cooling.

nickjj
03/10/2012, 09:28 AM
Thanks Jerpa, that probably makes the most sense adding a third 250w. I have a lot of plugs free now since I don't have my MH/T5 lights connected to my AQ controller anymore so it won't be a problem controlling another heater.

Actually I could probably stagger the third heater to come on after the other two only if the desired temperture isn't acheived quick enough. I think I have some flexibility.