PDA

View Full Version : Bad Bristle Worm Infestation

zeeter
03/10/2012, 11:27 AM
I know that they are beneficial to the tank, but I just had a LTA that died because it was eaten from the bottom up by bristle worms. It's so bad that if I run my fingers through the sandbed I get a reaction to the stings.

I've begun to underfeed my tank, but I'm wondering what other, natural methods I could try.

Three things I've heard - arrow crab: had one before but it must have died. Occasionally I did see him with worms on his claws, so I know he was going after them, and being a crab vs a fish I would imagine that they can get into crevices that other methods cannot.

Six Line Wrasse - I've heard these are hit or miss. Plus I have a cleaner wrasse so I'm not sure if they'll get along. Perhaps someone could clear that up for me.

Coral banded - again, I've heard these are hit or miss. Wouldn't mind having one just for the fun of it, though.

So I guess I'm asking what everyone has had the best luck with. I'm not one for traps.

Again - I know that they are beneficial, but I just need to keep them in check.

StephLionfish
03/10/2012, 03:27 PM
Personally, I would not add any of those three that you listed into my reef tank. Six lines can get aggressive, Coral Bandeds are aggressive, and I think Arrow Crabs have made a bad name for themselves. Feeding less should fix the problem by itself.

donya
03/10/2012, 03:39 PM
A word of caution about trimming the population by starvation if they have already gone after the nem: they may go after other stuff if you have things like corals and other sessile animals in the tank. I had a softie tank eaten alive several years back when I tried the same thing with a large bristleworm species (very Eurythoe-looking). Unfortunately, the population of worms I had also took out a condy anemone a couple of years prior in exactly the same way you described.

If you try to starve out the worms, I would think it's definitely worth making sure there is something to go after stray ones that get adventurous, unless there is nothing else they can damage in the tank.

zeeter
03/10/2012, 07:20 PM
Why are arrow crabs worthy of a bad name? I hadn't heard that.

Donya - I read that, too. I don't want them going after my corals.

tao chuan fa
03/10/2012, 08:08 PM
I have used traps with great success.I love watching my arrow crab go hunting above any other method.I kept arrow crabs in my 28g for 5 years with no problems except an occasional hermit murder.As long as you give them a piece of silverside once a week you'll be fine.An arrow should weed out the big boys and leave smaller ones until they get big enough to get caught.Good luck

tao chuan fa
03/10/2012, 08:10 PM
Oh yeah,I keep evrything from soft coral to acans and stonies...arrow only cleans them of detritus.

StephLionfish
03/11/2012, 08:34 AM
Arrow crabs are, like most all crabs, opportunistic feeders. They have been known to grab fish and snails, and are aggressive.