PDA

View Full Version : Reading into skimmate? anyone tried?

michaelr
03/11/2012, 01:53 AM
hey all,
I was doing my usual skimmate change and i got to thinking... how much does the consistency and smell really tell you about your system. i personally have not looked into it a lot but lately my skimmate has smelled so bad that i personally(who is sort of used to the smell by now) want to throw up a little bit. Has anybody looked into it at all. I bet its actually pretty informative when you get it down to a science
Thank you,
Michael R

gmate
03/11/2012, 08:25 AM
It's very system dependant. I'd assume a FOWLR has a very different 'brand' of skimmate than a coral only system, or a mixed reef. I know when I had more eels I skimmed very very heavy. Also depends on maturity of system. A very mature system has more natural filtration and filter feeders, etc, to remove particles before it gets to the skimmer.

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/11/2012, 08:30 AM
Skimmate smell varies tremendously. Mine has never ever smelled bad. It smells like a day at the ocean. :)

I think it depends on what sorts of organic materials are being produced in the tank. Many SPS make some bad smelling slimes, and so tanks with those might have worse smelling skimmate. It might also depend on how stagnant the skimmate becomes once in the collection cup.

freeswimmingfis
03/11/2012, 11:00 AM
Mine usually smells like Elephant Poop. Like the zoo or the circus.:facepalm:
Not sure what that means...

michaelr
03/11/2012, 11:24 AM
interesting. i guess that does make sense on it being very dependent on the system you have. Randy you and i are going to have to switch skimmate type. i want to smell the ocean but instead im feeling light headed :p

ibefishy
03/11/2012, 11:32 AM
Smell and color depends a lot on how you skim. If you are skimming drier you will get a darker stronger smelling skimmate, if you skim wet, you get a lighter not so strong smelling skimmate. Thats my personal observation.

Sport507
03/11/2012, 11:53 AM

I don’t know what elephant poop smells like and I’ll be fine without that knowledge. But the cattle and hog poop I shoveled on the farm smells like cologne compared to the skimmate I get. I think some of it depends on how wet or dry you are skimming. I skim very dry.

Where are you keeping elephants in Texas?:hmm5:

michaelr
03/11/2012, 12:22 PM
Smell and color depends a lot on how you skim. If you are skimming drier you will get a darker stronger smelling skimmate, if you skim wet, you get a lighter not so strong smelling skimmate. Thats my personal observation.

my skimate is both wet and dry. i dont know why but it always is filled with water and a thick layer of dry foam on top

NvyroMental
03/11/2012, 10:26 PM
There are various factors that influence the quality of skimmate you get, including, but not limited to:
- Wet/dry skimming settings
- bio load
- maturity of tank
- feeding habits
- quality of skimmer
- sump set-up (existing biological, mechanical, chemical filtration)
- etc.
Ultimately i would say the nastier the skimmate, the better for your tank. If thats what you skim out, thats also what your water critters would be living in if you had left it in. No sure about you, but my ideal home would not be in elephant poo. Some people debate that these nutrients that get pulled out are good for the inhabitants, but i believe only to an extent. Too much of a good thing, in this case nutrients, can impair water quality. Some have had success, but im not willing to take the unnecessary risk.

tkeracer619
03/12/2012, 12:14 AM
Add a little bit of buffer (baking soda) to the collection cup/chamber. It won't smell.

michaelr
03/13/2012, 01:43 AM
Ultimately i would say the nastier the skimmate, the better for your tank. If thats what you skim out, thats also what your water critters would be living in if you had left it in.
that is a very good point that you bring up. at least it shows its doing its job haha.

and thank you for the tip tk i will def try that. how often do you supplement the baking soda.

oh and ps i think using my hindsight skills :hmm4: i think i know what may be causing it. i switched food to elos svm2 pellets. i bet thats why my skim mate changed so drastically smell wise. my fish go crazy for it so i guess ill have to tolerate the putrid stench if my hunch is correct

karsseboom
03/13/2012, 02:23 AM
My skimmer pulls some nasty stuff and smells horrible. My tank is mostly sps and I run bio pellets that's probably why.

KafudaFish
03/13/2012, 08:30 AM

Well I do know what elephant poop smells like and the only time it has ever gotten close was after an accidental over dosing of VSV. I would empty the cup every morning and every night for two weeks and the house had "that smell".

skimmate < elephant poop < gorilla poop

michaelr
03/13/2012, 09:28 AM
interestingly enough though my tank has only one sps frag so unless that thing is a waste production factory i dont see it making a dent really.

kafuda luckily for me mine smells terrible but only when you lift off the lid on it. otherwise its impossible to smell