PDA

View Full Version : Rapid LED build...some questions.

LennyD4
03/11/2012, 09:30 AM
So I am looking to put LEDs over my 65g FOWLR, in hopes to maybe start working some soft corals into the mix. I am looking into purchasing the Rapid LEDs plug-and-play kits. I want to buy the 24 LED kit and the 12 LED kit. Two seperate heat sinks each with their own fan. They will be dimmable and I will but their PWM Controller so I can control the 2 dimmable drivers.

1. What should my ratio of Royal Blue to Cool white be? I've seen 2:1 is that good?
2. Above my tank right now I have a basic canopy light which is tied up to a pole that runs horizontal in my closet where the tank is. If I buy their Y shaped hanging kits could I easily attach them to the pole?

Anyone else have experience with Rapid LEDs? I would love to hear what people have to say about them. Any suggestions for any other company?

Mark Bianco
03/11/2012, 01:16 PM
Unless you are going with more then 2 channels, I am not sure why you need PWP when you can get a 0-10dc 2 channel dimming kit from them for 30.00 http://www.rapidled.com/diy-2-color-dimming-kit/

I like one blue, one royal blue to one white. but for whites I like 4 cool whites to one warm white. It adds some what I percieve a better spectrum.

Led's are funny for some it may look fine a 2 to 1 ratio, but for me I like it mixing the whites

You should be able to hang the lights with the hanging kit from the closet rod, just buy some small cable clamps, sold at any home improvment store.