PDA

View Full Version : New Radion Light Rails from Ecotech

rainmkr07
03/11/2012, 09:38 AM
Ecotech, can you tell us when the new Radion light rails will be available to the public?

rainmkr07
03/15/2012, 06:27 AM
Here is a photo of the new rails. Apparently they will come in 2' and 4' versions. Would love to know when they'll be available to the public...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/423940_10150617066985922_313599910921_9267619_1565776707_n.jpg

ghostman
03/15/2012, 07:18 AM
I'd be interested in seeing what the 4' rails look like. I would wonder about the stability with the mounting wires in the center of the fixture. I mounted my radions on AI rails with 20mm long pan head screws and like the look and stability.

AcroporAddict
03/15/2012, 09:07 AM
I'd be interested in seeing what the 4' rails look like. I would wonder about the stability with the mounting wires in the center of the fixture. I mounted my radions on AI rails with 20mm long pan head screws and like the look and stability.

I used AI rails as well, and like being able to slide the Radions anywhere along the rails. Makes centering them a breeze.

rainmkr07
03/15/2012, 10:00 AM
I used AI rails as well, and like being able to slide the Radions anywhere along the rails. Makes centering them a breeze.

do you have a photo of your rails? they sound like they might work great.

AcroporAddict
03/15/2012, 01:52 PM
do you have a photo of your rails? they sound like they might work great.

Here is a front/side pic of the two Radions on AI rails I have over my 30" x 30" x 24" cube.

rainmkr07
03/15/2012, 05:10 PM
Here is a front/side pic of the two Radions on AI rails I have over my 30" x 30" x 24" cube.

Very nice. And you can slide them anywhere on the rail?

Not sure if the ecotech's have that sliding ability, but it doesnt look like it. I think I'd rather have the ability to slide them.

AcroporAddict
03/15/2012, 06:27 PM
Very nice. And you can slide them anywhere on the rail?

Not sure if the ecotech's have that sliding ability, but it doesnt look like it. I think I'd rather have the ability to slide them.

The AI rails have a slot milled the entire length, so you can slide them anywhere the rail will allow. Sol Blues slide as well.

bbart12
03/17/2012, 12:05 AM
I saw these at reefstock last weekend and these seemed really cool. They are modular insofar as they can be chained together to make as long as a bar as you wish. The ends are universal and the middles will come in two lengths that are designed in such a way that they can be daisy chained together.

jameshongth
03/17/2012, 06:16 AM
Here is a photo of the new rails. Apparently they will come in 2' and 4' versions. Would love to know when they'll be available to the public...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/423940_10150617066985922_313599910921_9267619_1565776707_n.jpg

Is this rail from ecotech or third party?

rainmkr07
03/18/2012, 04:56 PM
Is this rail from ecotech or third party?

ecotech

nanoreefbro
03/23/2012, 08:38 AM
Any chance you could mount the rails in a canopy?

RealFish
03/23/2012, 09:54 AM

That's the best you guys can come up with for my $3,000 lighting system-two and four foot black bars with holes drilled into them? Believe it or not, some of us can't suspend the lights from the ceiling.

Come on. I purchased these back in December and still haven't figured out how I'm going to get them over my tank in a way that doesn't look like some backyard hack job. People around here have gotten creative, but I still haven't seen anything that remotely resembles a finished look.

I contacted a local metal shop and it was going to cost $350-$400 for a half-decent looking custom mount for just two of the four.

rainmkr07
03/23/2012, 11:10 AM
That's the best you guys can come up with for my $3,000 lighting system-two and four foot black bars with holes drilled into them? Believe it or not, some of us can't suspend the lights from the ceiling.

Come on. I purchased these back in December and still haven't figured out how I'm going to get them over my tank in a way that doesn't look like some backyard hack job. People around here have gotten creative, but I still haven't seen anything that remotely resembles a finished look.

I contacted a local metal shop and it was going to cost $350-$400 for a half-decent looking custom mount for just two of the four.

Agreed. And what I'd like is something that would allow them to be mounted inside of a canopy, and if they could be adjusted while mounted (moved left and right, or up and down) that would be a real plus. Hopefully they can make something nice like that and not just some metal bars or some wire to hang them with.

AcroporAddict
03/23/2012, 11:40 AM
AI Rails could easily be adapted for use inside a canopy. But, you will have to deal with the need for proper air circulation inside the canopy for the Radions.

You are not going to find a universal mounting option for everyone's needs here, regardless of the cost of the LED light. If you look at just about every LED fixture manufacturer, they all have about 1 option for hanging, and that is either a hanging option, like Radions or AI, or one that places a hanging rig on and over the tank, like the Maxspect units.

LED units are really meant for open air type mounting because of the cooling needs of the fixtures, and you are going to have to modify any canopy for proper air circulation and cooling for any LED fixture.

If I had a canopy I had to mount the Radions in, I would cut the top of the canopy out where the radions would be centered, and hang them using simple aluminum bar stock or wood 1" x 2"s screwed into the wood edges of he canopy top. Spray the bar/wood hangers to match the canopy and you'll never see them.

There are simply too many hanging scenarios for EcoTech or any LED manufacturer to cover every need. But you can adapt and get the results you want if you think it through.

RealFish
03/23/2012, 11:47 AM
AI Rails could easily be adapted for use inside a canopy. But, you will have to deal with the need for proper air circulation inside the canopy for the Radions.

You are not going to find a universal mounting option for everyone's needs here, regardless of the cost of the LED light. If you look at just about every LED fixture manufacturer, they all have about 1 option for hanging, and that is either a hanging option, like Radions or AI, or one that places a hanging rig on and over the tank, like the Maxspect units.

LED units are really meant for open air type mounting because of the cooling needs of the fixtures, and you are going to have to modify any canopy for proper air circulation and cooling for any LED fixture.

If I had a canopy I had to mount the Radions in, I would cut the top of the canopy out where the radions would be centered, and hang them using simple aluminum bar stock or wood 1" x 2"s screwed into the wood edges of he canopy top. Spray the bar/wood hangers to match the canopy and you'll never see them.

There are simply too many hanging scenarios for EcoTech or any LED manufacturer to cover every need. But you can adapt and get the results you want if you think it through.

I don't expect them to cover every need, but not even one valid option. And don't tell me their hanging kit is an option. Unless you come up with a DIY solution, you can only hang one fixture with it.

They went all out building a sexy fixture in terms of fit, finish and fuctionality and we're left to spend countless hours wandering the isles of a big box store trying to find pieces and parts to actually make them useful.

AcroporAddict
03/23/2012, 12:07 PM
I don't expect them to cover every need, but not even one valid option. And don't tell me their hanging kit is an option. Unless you come up with a DIY solution, you can only hang one fixture with it.

They went all out building a sexy fixture in terms of fit, finish and fuctionality and we're left to spend countless hours wandering the isles of a big box store trying to find pieces and parts to actually make them useful.

I'm going to PM you my email address. Send me a couple pics of your setup, and I may be able to help you regarding a hanging rig for your lights. I live very near you, and we are both members of the same local reef club.

rainmkr07
03/23/2012, 01:56 PM

Most canopies have open tops or backs or fans for ventilation. Makes no difference if you have T5s, MHs, or LEDs, you need them with any light. So I don't agree that "LED units are really meant for open air type mounting" just as I wouldn't argue MHs are meant for open air mounting either. They CAN be done that way, or in a canopy. I've never seen a tank with an entirely closed canopy with T5s or MHs inside, have you? Therefore I wouldn't expect someone with LEDs to do that either! Regardless, I am debating between taking the top off of my canopy, or finding screws that will go directly through the canopy into the radions, so the radions are basically attached to the inside of the canopy. (I don't need access to the buttons with the wifi software anyway?). But I could leave a 1/2" if i needed to get at them for some reason I suppose.

AcroporAddict
03/23/2012, 02:01 PM
Most canopies have open tops or backs or fans for ventilation. Makes no difference if you have T5s, MHs, or LEDs, you need them with any light. So I don't agree that "LED units are really meant for open air type mounting" just as I wouldn't argue MHs are meant for open air mounting either. They CAN be done that way, or in a canopy. I've never seen a tank with an entirely closed canopy with T5s or MHs inside, have you? Therefore I wouldn't expect someone with LEDs to do that either! Regardless, I am debating between taking the top off of my canopy, or finding screws that will go directly through the canopy into the radions, so the radions are basically attached to the inside of the canopy. (I don't need access to the buttons with the wifi software anyway?). But I could leave a 1/2" if i needed to get at them for some reason I suppose.
Most canopies have to have fans added via DIY. Very few come stock with electric fans for ventilation. And most canopies (unless you custom build them open top) are enclosed on all sides except in the back and need to be modified for air circulation. Led's and all other lighting rely on passive or electric cooling, so you need the equivalent of open air cooling if you mount them in a canopy, which is what I meant by the "LED units are really meant for open air type mounting" statement. Sorry for any misunderstanding. Just a way of giving them cool air in and venting their warm air away. If I were mounting Radions in a canopy, I'd cut an opening in the top for the fan to draw air into the fixture as it does. Maybe you wouldn't need anything else as long as the warm air blowing out the sides can exit in enough volume. Just enough to not shorten the lifespan of the LEDs from not cooling them enough, I suppose. Maybe use a hole saw equivalent to the diameter of the Radion cooling fan, then drill holes and use M5 machine screws through the canopy top to hold the Radions in place in the canopy. Should be easy enough to make a template for the light.

rtparty
03/23/2012, 03:18 PM

I find it hard to have any sympathy for people in your situation.

YOU knew there were no other options from Ecotech. YOU knew YOU would have to come up with something. YOU decided to spend the money. YOU don't like the look and YOU don't want to spend 10% more to make it look better.

Stop trying to blame Ecotech. YOU chose to go this route. If YOU don't like it, sell them and go with something else.

RealFish
03/23/2012, 07:19 PM
I find it hard to have any sympathy for people in your situation.

YOU knew there were no other options from Ecotech. YOU knew YOU would have to come up with something. YOU decided to spend the money. YOU don't like the look and YOU don't want to spend 10% more to make it look better.

Stop trying to blame Ecotech. YOU chose to go this route. If YOU don't like it, sell them and go with something else.

I didn't ask you to have sympathy for me. Merely a consumer telling a producer I expect better.

rainmkr07
03/24/2012, 07:38 AM
Most canopies have to have fans added via DIY. Very few come stock with electric fans for ventilation. And most canopies (unless you custom build them open top) are enclosed on all sides except in the back and need to be modified for air circulation. Led's and all other lighting rely on passive or electric cooling, so you need the equivalent of open air cooling if you mount them in a canopy, which is what I meant by the "LED units are really meant for open air type mounting" statement. Sorry for any misunderstanding. Just a way of giving them cool air in and venting their warm air away. If I were mounting Radions in a canopy, I'd cut an opening in the top for the fan to draw air into the fixture as it does. Maybe you wouldn't need anything else as long as the warm air blowing out the sides can exit in enough volume. Just enough to not shorten the lifespan of the LEDs from not cooling them enough, I suppose. Maybe use a hole saw equivalent to the diameter of the Radion cooling fan, then drill holes and use M5 machine screws through the canopy top to hold the Radions in place in the canopy. Should be easy enough to make a template for the light.

I went to Lowe's last night and got some M5-0.8mm screws. I have 30, 40, and 50mm length I believe. I am going to attach the radions directly to the surface of the canopy with them. Right now they are hanging from the inside, and only about 5" from the surface of the water. By changing to this hanging method, they should be at the proper 8" height. Here is my question, since they don't suck air in from above (rather from the sides of the top of the unit) how much space should I leave between the top of the radion and the canopy? Do I need to leave space to touch the buttons? Maybe 1/2" would suffice?

ghostman
03/24/2012, 08:22 AM
Rainmkr07-whe I installed my radions to the AI rails, I left enough room to touch the buttons by using 25mm screws. I read a thread on here a while ago about using longer screws since shorter screws lengths messed with the buttons as if they were being touched. Personally IME I can't see any other reason why the radion can't be mounted flush. There is no heat on the top surface and air vents out of the sides. HTH

AcroporAddict
03/24/2012, 10:52 AM
I went to Lowe's last night and got some M5-0.8mm screws. I have 30, 40, and 50mm length I believe. I am going to attach the radions directly to the surface of the canopy with them. Right now they are hanging from the inside, and only about 5" from the surface of the water. By changing to this hanging method, they should be at the proper 8" height. Here is my question, since they don't suck air in from above (rather from the sides of the top of the unit) how much space should I leave between the top of the radion and the canopy? Do I need to leave space to touch the buttons? Maybe 1/2" would suffice?

I think 1/2" or a bit more gap to access the control buttons would be fine, as long as you can get to them if needed. I've only used the buttons on my Radions a couple times, and that was to see if they were connected to the MP60s I run, and to switch between Natural and Artificial mode. And like you said, you don't need a gap in the top for air or anything

Since the Radion fan draws air into it from the bottom and vents it out the ends of the short sides of the fixture, I'd just make sure you have adequate room temperature air entering and exiting the canopy so your Radion is not just recirculating heated air over and over, which would have the LEDs operating at a higher temperature.

rainmkr07
03/24/2012, 04:57 PM
I think 1/2" or a bit more gap to access the control buttons would be fine, as long as you can get to them if needed. I've only used the buttons on my Radions a couple times, and that was to see if they were connected to the MP60s I run, and to switch between Natural and Artificial mode. And like you said, you don't need a gap in the top for air or anything

Since the Radion fan draws air into it from the bottom and vents it out the ends of the short sides of the fixture, I'd just make sure you have adequate room temperature air entering and exiting the canopy so your Radion is not just recirculating heated air over and over, which would have the LEDs operating at a higher temperature.

I went ahead and used some 30mm screws and mounted them directly to the canopy. It was fast and easy, and there is about 1/2" on the inside to get to the buttons should I need to. Here are some photos:

Here are the radions mounted directly to the canopy with 30mm long screws:
http://www.wamas.org/forums/uploads/1332114624/gallery_2631706_3_114119.jpg (http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?app=gallery&module=images&img=12468)

The marineland canopy has some strips missing for ventilation which are directly above the radion, allowing the air to be pushed by the radions out of the top of the canopy nicely. the mesh is to keep jumpers inside.
http://www.wamas.org/forums/uploads/1332114624/gallery_2631706_3_490531.jpg (http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?app=gallery&module=images&img=12465)

With them on:
http://www.wamas.org/forums/uploads/1332114624/gallery_2631706_3_416632.jpg (http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?app=gallery&module=images&img=12466)

FTS:
http://www.wamas.org/forums/uploads/1332114624/gallery_2631706_3_553130.jpg (http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?app=gallery&module=images&img=12467)

AcroporAddict
03/24/2012, 06:13 PM
I went ahead and used some 30mm screws and mounted them directly to the canopy. It was fast and easy, and there is about 1/2" on the inside to get to the buttons should I need to. Here are some photos:

Here are the radions mounted directly to the canopy with 30mm long screws:
http://www.wamas.org/forums/uploads/1332114624/gallery_2631706_3_114119.jpg (http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?app=gallery&module=images&img=12468)

The marineland canopy has some strips missing for ventilation which are directly above the radion, allowing the air to be pushed by the radions out of the top of the canopy nicely. the mesh is to keep jumpers inside.
http://www.wamas.org/forums/uploads/1332114624/gallery_2631706_3_490531.jpg (http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?app=gallery&module=images&img=12465)

With them on:
http://www.wamas.org/forums/uploads/1332114624/gallery_2631706_3_416632.jpg (http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?app=gallery&module=images&img=12466)

FTS:
http://www.wamas.org/forums/uploads/1332114624/gallery_2631706_3_553130.jpg (http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?app=gallery&module=images&img=12467)

Looks like a nice setup. Nice rockwork as well. Looks like Totoka rock, maybe? I have an empty Marineland 150 DD I've been thinking about moving the contents of my 30" x 30" x 24" rimless cube to. I have two Radions over it now, and if I can keep the light count at 2 units I might do it. I was afraid I might have to buy a third Radion for it. Reef is a mixed LPS/softy tank, so two Radions might just do it.

rainmkr07
03/24/2012, 07:32 PM
Looks like a nice setup. Nice rockwork as well. Looks like Totoka rock, maybe? I have an empty Marineland 150 DD I've been thinking about moving the contents of my 30" x 30" x 24" rimless cube to. I have two Radions over it now, and if I can keep the light count at 2 units I might do it. I was afraid I might have to buy a third Radion for it. Reef is a mixed LPS/softy tank, so two Radions might just do it.

The rock is BRS pukani (http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/eco-rox-fiji-dry-rock/brs-pukani-dry-aquarium-eco-rock.html). Best looking rock imo (wish you could get it live though).

I fell in love with the depth on oregonreef, so the DD tank series quickly became my dream tanks. I'll start with this 150g DD (it's only 6 weeks old), but some day I want the 300g DD.

oregonreef:
http://oregonreef.com/images/photos/p_098_l.jpg

Ecotech recommended 2 radions for the 150g DD, so that's what I went with, however, I can see myself adding a third down the road once I have plenty of SPS colonies growing inside. I'd put them like this guy did:

http://d2creative.smugmug.com/Other/135gReef/i-7D8XJhg/0/O/20110914DSC3133EcoTech.jpg

AcroporAddict
03/24/2012, 08:25 PM
Cool pic of the 3 light setup. I have six Radions over my 300 DD. Trying to figure out how to deal with a blue clove polyp explosion. Wish I had never put them in my tank.

rainmkr07
03/24/2012, 09:28 PM
Cool pic of the 3 light setup. I have six Radions over my 300 DD. Trying to figure out how to deal with a blue clove polyp explosion. Wish I had never put them in my tank.

how did you arrange the 6?

like this: | | | | | | ?

AcroporAddict
03/24/2012, 11:39 PM
how did you arrange the 6?

like this: | | | | | | ?

Nope..like this:

rainmkr07
03/25/2012, 08:28 AM
Nope..like this:

Nice. And no darkness or spotlighting in the space between them?

AcroporAddict
03/26/2012, 12:30 PM
Nice. And no darkness or spotlighting in the space between them?

Some shadowing about 3 inches below the tank cross members, but nothing visible under the water itself. The Radion reflector does a good job of scattering the light. It is not quite as directional as say, an AI Sol Blue. My guess is that the Radion reflector gives a 120 degree or so light field (maybe a bit more).

Leafer
03/29/2012, 02:47 PM
Here is the mount I made for three Radions. It was incredibly easy to build this with some things from Lowes. The metal bars also came in aluminum but I chose this because it it was thinner. You just need to pick up some metric screws and a can of Rust-Oleum.

My tank will be 60" wide, My light fixture is a about 44" in length.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=4339&pictureid=41443

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=4339&pictureid=41442

techreef
08/10/2012, 05:16 AM
rainmkr07, thanks for these pics. I'm looking to do the same thing in my canopy with my radions. So to clarify, you simply drilled 4 holes through the top of your canopy that match the locations of the four hols in the Radions, right? And then inserted your 30mm bolts through that hole and screwed them into the Radion? Thanks!

rainmkr07
08/10/2012, 07:47 AM
rainmkr07, thanks for these pics. I'm looking to do the same thing in my canopy with my radions. So to clarify, you simply drilled 4 holes through the top of your canopy that match the locations of the four hols in the Radions, right? And then inserted your 30mm bolts through that hole and screwed them into the Radion? Thanks!

Exactly.

techreef
08/10/2012, 12:10 PM
Terrific. Thanks for the quick response. It's killing me to have these lights, but no way of installing them. I'm stopping at Lowes on the way home for the fasteners I need to get this done tonight!

d2mini
08/10/2012, 01:45 PM
That's my 3-radion setup up there.
I had to hang them that way because that cube was in the middle of the room turned 45 degrees with a corner overflow. The corner with the overflow was pretty much the rear of the tank when standing in front of it.