PDA

View Full Version : Picture of the Month?

felixfish
03/11/2012, 11:30 AM
Anyone on here, (moderators) think about starting a photo of the month thread?

Hookup
03/11/2012, 06:13 PM
i like the idea...

astrogazer
03/13/2012, 08:38 AM
Personally I think RC should do what MASNA used to do and have a photo contest, judged monthly or annually, make a calendar out of the winners and sell them.

Images should be judged by peers here on RC. I would think there to be enough sponsors out there to manage a limited run on the first calendar after which it should be self sustaining.

the real fishman
03/13/2012, 08:43 AM
would it be split into aquatic pictures v non aquatic or just a general pic contest?

astrogazer
03/13/2012, 08:47 AM
Pictures for a contest here should most certainly be marine in nature I should think.

dgiglio
03/18/2012, 01:32 PM
Pictures for a contest here should most certainly be marine in nature I should think.

X2 you'd think they would be

the real fishman
03/18/2012, 01:35 PM
makes sense of course, i only asked as there is alot of good pictures which are non marine related

gemini aquarius(t)
03/18/2012, 01:37 PM
I would love that! (to look at, not participate)

felixfish
03/18/2012, 07:53 PM
A moderator can pick a category for every month. ex Corals, inverts etc. And then set up a voting throughout the month. just a suggestion.

Nicholas41
03/19/2012, 12:02 AM
A moderator can pick a category for every month. ex Corals, inverts etc. And then set up a voting throughout the month. just a suggestion.

You could also do different shots such as top down, FTS, etc and have a different category for every month. I'd imagine the pictures would be amazing, and would be worthy of a being on calendar pages. Sounds like a great idea.

Hookup
03/19/2012, 05:51 AM
Any moderators want to weigh in? It's hard to believe this hasn't been attempted in the past, but it does sound like fun.

Reef Bass
03/19/2012, 08:06 AM
This has been done before. Here is an example. RC photo contest (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=982118)

astrogazer
03/19/2012, 09:11 AM
This has been done before. Here is an example. RC photo contest (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=982118)

I recall that contest, I'm not sure that it ever got off the ground. I remember entering a couple of images. I've been away for a couple of years and I don't know what happened to the concept of a photo contest and the resultant calendar. Anyone know? :wave:

BlueCorn
03/19/2012, 03:13 PM
Personally I think RC should do what MASNA used to do and have a photo contest, judged monthly or annually, make a calendar out of the winners and sell them.

Images should be judged by peers here on RC. I would think there to be enough sponsors out there to manage a limited run on the first calendar after which it should be self sustaining.

We actually tried that once but the people in charge, dropped the ball on it.

astrogazer
03/21/2012, 09:59 AM
We actually tried that once but the people in charge, dropped the ball on it.

Any thoughts on possibly reviving the concept. I think the original thread only lasted 2 months, but there appeared to be a number of eager participants submitting images.

Don't mean to step on any toes, but it seemed like such a good idea. Even if a calendar isn't produced cudos could be given by way of 'ribbons' in the avatar area (ie victories of combat aircraft), or special tag-lines, etc., you know how 'us' creative folks like to be stroked ...

Don't mean to :deadhorse:, I'm sure there's quite a bit of work involved in a 12/13 month contest, just seems like it would be interesting to task RC photographers and fun to sit back and enjoy the results. RC has always been such an innovative leader I am surprised that a way hasn't been found to capitalize on its creative member base.

BlueCorn
03/21/2012, 10:48 AM
Any thoughts on possibly reviving the concept. I think the original thread only lasted 2 months, but there appeared to be a number of eager participants submitting images.

Don't mean to step on any toes, but it seemed like such a good idea. Even if a calendar isn't produced cudos could be given by way of 'ribbons' in the avatar area (ie victories of combat aircraft), or special tag-lines, etc., you know how 'us' creative folks like to be stroked ...

Don't mean to :deadhorse:, I'm sure there's quite a bit of work involved in a 12/13 month contest, just seems like it would be interesting to task RC photographers and fun to sit back and enjoy the results. RC has always been such an innovative leader I am surprised that a way hasn't been found to capitalize on its creative member base.

We actually had a whole years worth of winning images......but I'm not bitter. :lol:

We might be able to dredge something back up. I'm crazy busy right now but ping me again in a couple of weeks.

astrogazer
03/21/2012, 11:25 AM
We actually had a whole years worth of winning images......but I'm not bitter. :lol:

We might be able to dredge something back up. I'm crazy busy right now but ping me again in a couple of weeks.

... now that I think about it there should probably be 2 contests, one for BC (the artist formerly known as BG) and one for the rest of RC ... :worried:

I'll try to remember to 'bug ya in a month or so. :wave: