PDA

View Full Version : advice on RO/DI

Cloudburst2000
03/11/2012, 11:36 AM
Hey all, I just received a free used Coralife RO/DI from a local reefer. It has been sitting in his garage for months with water still in it but not being used. Since it has had stagnant water in it, should I replace all the filters in it? Or would they be okay just being cleaned out? I've never had to do anything with an RO/DI before, but I was getting tired of mooching water off my brother-in-law and transporting buckets of water across town. How much would replacing the filters and stuff in it cost and where would I buy these at? It has three individual clear filter compartments at the bottom (look like three clear media reactors), and another long white filter stretched across the top (DI filter?). Anyhoo, how would someone go about cleaning out an RO/DI filter that has had stagnant water in it for a few months. And once clean, how often should water be run through to keep water in the compartments more fresh. Thanks!

Cloudburst2000
03/11/2012, 11:39 AM
P.S. How the heck do you unscrew those filter units? They are really on there tight!

allsps40
03/11/2012, 11:43 AM
BulkReefSupply.com is IMO the best place to get replacement RODI filters. I suggest replacing all the filter on it since they have been sitting and you have no idea how old they are. BRS has great deals on 3 stage filter replacements including the prefilter, carbon and DI resin. I would also replace the RO membrane with a 90 GPD and correct flow restricter, BRS sells them together. It is also a good idea to add a TDS meter to the RODI filter so you know when to replace the filters.
There should be a large wrench that slips over the filter to unscrew them. If you dont have it BRS has them.

Laborator
03/11/2012, 01:31 PM
Is it also possible to attach 2 membranes and if yes are there any benefits in terms of efficiency, less waste water etc.

Thanks

Cloudburst2000
03/11/2012, 04:11 PM
Thanks! Running over to brs! And how often does water need to run through so water in the filter doesn't stagnate? Is once a week, okay?

Buckeye Hydro
03/12/2012, 04:34 AM
Hey all, I just received a free used Coralife RO/DI from a local reefer. It has been sitting in his garage for months with water still in it but not being used. Since it has had stagnant water in it, should I replace all the filters in it? Or would they be okay just being cleaned out?

Given that its been unused for a long period of time, best to strip all the filters out, sanitize the system (we can email you instructions) and start clean.

How much would replacing the filters and stuff in it cost and where would I buy these at? It has three individual clear filter compartments at the bottom (look like three clear media reactors), and another long white filter stretched across the top (DI filter?).

We can email you a set of instructions for one of our systems that is configured in a similar way if you'd like. This should help:
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd293/BuckeyeFS/LabeledBFSPremiumSeriesRODI.jpg

And once clean, how often should water be run through to keep water in the compartments more fresh.
At least once a week.

Russ

Buckeye Hydro
03/12/2012, 04:43 AM
P.S. How the heck do you unscrew those filter units? They are really on there tight!

Filter housing wrench.

You won't be able to unscrew them if they are under pressure.

When you remove them and sanitize the system, be sure to lube all the orings with food grade silicone grease before you re-install them.

Russ

allsps40
03/12/2012, 08:31 AM
There you go from the man himself.