PDA

View Full Version : Seachem Aquavitro Salinity vs Tropic Marin Pro

dtum
03/11/2012, 01:54 PM
Seachem Salinity has been out for some time now, I've looked at quite a few threads on it but there does not appear to be a consensus (not that there will be such thing.)

Was wondering how would Aquavitro Salinity compare to the tried and true Tropic Marin Pro. Salinity seems to be a bit more expensive.

Just as a side note, my buddy recently got Tropic Marin Bio and did not like it one bit - the thing would not fully mix - lots of particles floating in the water.

troyman
03/11/2012, 04:50 PM
tried em both went back to instant ocean reef crystals

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/11/2012, 04:51 PM
I've never used either (I prefer Instant Ocean), but there are a fair number of recent complaints about the TMP:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2134241

troyman
03/11/2012, 05:29 PM
instant ocean is a good salt high numbers and you have more money in bank after

Offshore357
03/11/2012, 08:59 PM
I was happy to get away from Salinity.

The lab certified values on the bucket were PH 8.5 alk 3.8. I would get 7.9 Ė 8.0 and alk of 2.2 -2.4. Stuff would fall out of solution and settle out in the mixing container. I had even tried Boomers method of keeping the water cool and raining it in real slow over an hour or so. Didnít really help much.

I also never got the 225gal out of a bucket. I think the most was 208.

Switched to Reef Crystals and the only difference is less stuff in the mixing container and a heavier wallet :).

I really am curious about the ESV sea water system.

dtum
03/11/2012, 09:54 PM
I was happy to get away from Salinity.

The lab certified values on the bucket were PH 8.5 alk 3.8. I would get 7.9 Ė 8.0 and alk of 2.2 -2.4. Stuff would fall out of solution and settle out in the mixing container. I had even tried Boomers method of keeping the water cool and raining it in real slow over an hour or so. Didnít really help much.

I also never got the 225gal out of a bucket. I think the most was 208.

Switched to Reef Crystals and the only difference is less stuff in the mixing container and a heavier wallet :).

I really am curious about the ESV sea water system.

Thanks, did you consider Tropic Marin Pro? Two of my LFS say that this is the best thing since sliced bread. Mixes clean and is just the best your money can get.

Offshore357
03/11/2012, 11:57 PM
Thanks, did you consider Tropic Marin Pro? Two of my LFS say that this is the best thing since sliced bread. Mixes clean and is just the best your money can get.

Thats funny, My LFS talked me out of it a few years ago. They said it was formulated for systems with cal. reactors and had low numbers. So i never did consider it. I know it was really hyped for awhile. I have also seen the recent complaints, but i never looked into it since i wasn't useing. In the end i have no real opinion about it.

My next salt will be ESV. I know of a few that have been useing it for awhile and have nothing but good things to say about it. So i'll see where that takes me.

Good luck with your choice!

dtum
03/12/2012, 06:36 AM
Thats funny, My LFS talked me out of it a few years ago. They said it was formulated for systems with cal. reactors and had low numbers. So i never did consider it. I know it was really hyped for awhile. I have also seen the recent complaints, but i never looked into it since i wasn't useing. In the end i have no real opinion about it.

My next salt will be ESV. I know of a few that have been useing it for awhile and have nothing but good things to say about it. So i'll see where that takes me.

Good luck with your choice!

Thanks, after 2+ hours of browsing RC and researching this topic I am coming to a similar conclusion. Unfortunately I have not seen anyone sell ESV in Canada.

yvr
03/12/2012, 03:45 PM

+1 on Tropic Marin Pro. I've been using it for over 2 years and have really noticed improved colouration in my SPS corals. IN particular, my Hydnophora colony which I have had for 3 years has gone from a dull/pale green to an intense fluorescent green! So I am really happy with what I have seen so far.