PDA

View Full Version : Frag plug glue chemical

daplatapus
03/11/2012, 02:14 PM
So, in moving stuff around in my tank I broke a frag off it's plug. I'm easily 1 1/2 hrs away from a LFS that might not even have what I need to put it back on. I've seen on different threads some people are using a cyanoacrylate (super glue) for doing this. I fancy myself as a bit of a wood worker and have this stuff called 2P-10 that works awesome for wood working. It's quite thick and I'm sure will do the job but unsure if there's something in it that is different from regular super glue. Here's the MSDS for it:
http://www.fastcap.com/estore/pc/catalog/msds-2P-10-thick.pdf

Anything there that says to you, "Don't use it!"?

JSeymour
03/11/2012, 03:04 PM
I wouldn't do it. I have no idea what Hydroquinone is or what it would do. Super glue does not produce noxious vapors like the product you have does. Just go to any grocery store and grab a small tube of super glue gel for $1.50.

wampuscat
03/11/2012, 03:06 PM
Just get some super glue gel.......

Steve175
03/11/2012, 03:07 PM
Use superglue from any store. gel is a bit easier with which to work IME

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/11/2012, 03:42 PM
Not sure why you guys think that isn't super glue. It is.

Also, I know what hydroquinone is, and trace amounts do not worry me. I'd worry more about the large amount of the monomer in the super glue than the tiny amount of hydroquinone. :)

WickedBlue28
03/11/2012, 04:44 PM
What does monomer do Randy?

kissman
03/11/2012, 05:45 PM
super glue gel

daplatapus
03/11/2012, 05:49 PM
Not sure why you guys think that isn't super glue. It is.

Also, I know what hydroquinone is, and trace amounts do not worry me. I'd worry more about the large amount of the monomer in the super glue than the tiny amount of hydroquinone. :)

When you say that do you mean in the product I'm wondering about or the super glue the others are talking about?

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/12/2012, 05:10 AM
The product you posted is a cyanoacrylate adhesive, hence it is a super glue by the generic use of the name. Many superglues also use hydroquinone in them. :)

The monomer in superglues is a small molecule cyanoacrylate. Usually it is ethylcyanoacrylate or methylcyanoacrylate, such as the one you posted. These small molecules link together into a large polymer when they polymerize. :)

daplatapus
03/12/2012, 11:08 AM
Cool. So... sorry this wasn't very clear to me (must be my head cold), when you said, "I'd worry more about the large amount of the monomer in the super glue than the tiny amount of hydroquinone.", is that with super glue's in general or does this product I have have more of that monomer than the regular super glue's and thus would be better if I not use it?

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/12/2012, 11:50 AM
It is a general concern of mine about the monomers in all super glues, but many folks use super glues without apparent problems. :)

Thepopo
03/13/2012, 11:28 AM
So Randy would you recommended any of the superglues? What would you recommended as an adhesive?

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/13/2012, 11:55 AM
I generally stay out of the in tank glueing as they all worry me (I used to work for an adhesive company years ago), but epoxies with fairly high molecular weight may be less likely, IMO, to be an issue than are superglues.

That said, folks seem to rarely have noticeable problems with most glues. :)

JSeymour
03/13/2012, 01:08 PM
Sorry, I've never heard any potential issues with super glue, except for the typical soft coral issues.

Randy, you mentioned, folks seem to rarely have noticeable problems with most glues. What kind of issues are you refering too? What can monomers do to a reef tank? It's like you're hold back something... ;)

I'm guessing it can't be too crazy, as I have atleast 30 tubes of IC-Gel in my aquariums. Just kind of curious.

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/14/2012, 04:59 AM
The momomers in a superglue will, to some extent, dissolve into the water if the glue is not finished curing before it gets wet again. Such organic chemical can be irritating or toxic. :)

But as you note, folks do not seem to see any problems, so I wouldn't worry much.

GvineReefer
03/20/2012, 02:05 PM
Anyone have experience with the cyanoacrylate glue home depot sells in a much larger container than the standard Loctite gel I've been using? I would probably avoid the adhesive spray, but wondering about just the glue...

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-203082606/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=Cyanoacrylate&storeId=10051