PDA

View Full Version : Lighting dilemma!

Jrbutitta
03/11/2012, 05:47 PM
Hey everyone. I have been perusing through the forums in an effort to see which light is better for Zoanthids. From what I gather, it is largely based on opinion and desired effect. But no one has been able to specify what light i should use to obtain a deep blue tinge/glow.

I can tell you that my zoanthids LOVE the 70W metal halide with a 14K blue bulb in my 8 gallon peco tank . However it doesn't really bring the desired color out in my tomahawk zoas.

I would really hate to ditch the halides, but if I want more of a deep blue tank should I go with t-5? and would the T5 alone be enough to make my zoas happy?! any info on the subject is appreciated . thank you.

A. Grandis
03/11/2012, 06:21 PM
Ok...
Before anything, yes, a proper T5 setting can and will be more than enough to make your zoas happy!
I like T5s very much! I have an ATI PM 6 bulbs over my 75gal. for many years now.
You have much better chances of getting the color you want out of your zoas using a T5 setting. No doubt. I don't like the excess heat coming from the MH fixture also.
I normally recommend T5s over the MH for that reason, but I wouldn't recommend that to you because you've already said that you would "hate to ditch the halides". Another reason is that you've said your zoas LOVE the 70W MH.

Keep the halides! Your zoas are happy and everything is ok, so avoid adaptation problems and unnecessary money spent. :thumbsup:
Halides normally keeps your zoas growing a little faster than T5s! That's a good point!!

If you are really bored with the colors you could add a single blue actinic T5 bulb to help your color taste. That's all.

Take advantage to post some pictures of your healthy zoas, and the MH fixture, so everybody here can admire your colonies!! :spin1:

Grandis.

Jrbutitta
03/11/2012, 09:56 PM
Thanks Grandis! as for the single actinic bulb idea? You think maybe a zoomed CFL 6500k 50/50 might do the trick ?

the story on the Halide is , well, I borrowed it from a buddy to test it out, he wants to sell it to me for a 120 bucks, Its A 70 watt k2 viper halide with a blue 14k bulb. I have had it for two weeks and the Zoas really do love it, but for about 80 dollars I can get a mini coralife 2 bulb fixture/ & bulbs that should fit over my 8 gallon aqueon evolve pico. so if you think I might be better off with a T5 I might tend to lean in that direction especially since i'm not particularly happy with color of the halides.

another question if you don't mind? What lighting schedule do you find keeps your Zoas happiest? I recently bought a timer and I have no idea what to set it to . Im currently running about a 8 hour daylight schedule and then after that I just flick my blue LEDs on for about 3 hours before i go to bed lol. I know thats probably a rookie mistake but i keep finding so much conflicting information I don't know whats best..

A. Grandis
03/11/2012, 10:45 PM
You're welcome Jrbutitta!

Hummm... Ok, if you just got the MH to test, then I would say to get the T5s just because you didn't like the MH color anyway. It this helps you... the T5s will give you a better uniform distribution of light, besides the color choices.

If you go with the T5s try to get as many bulbs you can fit on top of the tank and make sure you adapt the zoas carefully. That's what I do with my systems. The more bulbs, the better chances for color combination, changing the bulbs/positions. Even though, depending on your setup, 2 bulbs could be enough for your zoas.
If you get 2 bulbs, I would suggest a blue plus and an aquablue for a blue look and still some growth.

In such a small tank you could also consider a LED system, but I'm not a big fan of them yet and will pass this one for another person that would be able to give you some real good advice on LEDs. Good luck! LEDs can save some on energy cost and have less heat. They can give you color choices and have shimmering on the side.
I personally prefer the look of T5s and have to experiences with LED to this date.

For the second question:
I keep my zoas under 10 hours of light total (6X54W T5s). 2 of the 10 hours are for sunrise/sunset effects (2 ATI Blue Plus bulbs). Some people keep their T5 lights on for only 6 hours total, and others for 8 hours total. They say their zoas still have a good health and growth.
When I had my 2X 6.500K 250W MH with actinic supplementation, I used to keep the MH on for only 6 hours and the fluorescent actinics for 8 hours total. They were amazing!! Great growth and very healthy!! A lot of heat though! I still get fairly good growth and healthy colonies with my T5 set up and the water is cooler.

I hope in a near future I could to set up a 125gal. with an ATI PM 8 bulb fixture.

Hope this helps.
Now, lets wait for the LED guys to bring their info, so we can learn some more...

Grandis.