PDA

View Full Version : Please Critique Me!

Mxman38
03/11/2012, 06:50 PM
Hey guys/gals, i am right at two months old for my tank, and just wanted some people to chime in on how i am doing or what i might be missing. I am 22, full time student and worker, i enjoy this hobby and want to continually progress(not that it matters) I have a few books from wet web media on there way next week, but in the meantime i have a few brainbusters as well.
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c258/kranz38/Resampled_2012-03-11_19-23-29_781-1.jpg
ph 8.0
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 0
calcium 420
i dose 12ml of A and B daily.
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c258/kranz38/Resampled_2012-03-11_19-25-33_15.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c258/kranz38/Resampled_2012-03-11_19-25-24_382.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c258/kranz38/Resampled_2012-03-11_19-25-15_804-1.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c258/kranz38/Resampled_2012-03-11_19-26-05_319.jpg
1 clown
1 gamma
2 wrasse(i think)
2 pyjama cards.
2 damsels(three stripe and yellow tail)
1 crab
1 peppermint shrimp

I have softened well water at my house, i have been going to the store and buying purified water in the 5 gallon jugs to top off/mix salt for water changes. I want to buy an ro/di unit though... my question, Will it work on my softened well water?... i have tap water, but its only through a spout in the kitchen sink (so thats outta the option)

I am using a fluval 305 with no sump and an eshoppes skimmer, i have heard of people saying just use rocks and sand as filter, HOWEVER, i dont have a drilled tank so doing an overflow/sump seems sketchy. What do you guys recommend i do to prevent problems in the future?
Do i need a sump(if i can even fit it through my stand doors) or should i just change my media every 3 weeks or so?

Thanks for your time and help, i truly appreciate it.

Rybren
03/11/2012, 06:59 PM
Step 1. Slow down!!!!!!

You don't say what the size of your tank is, but adding 8 fish within the first 2 months of a tanks life is just asking for trouble. Which, I might add, may already be on it's way. That ammonia test doesn't look like 0 to me. This is not surprising, because the tank is very young and probably can't handle that kind of a bioload.

You have to go slow with a marine tank. Patience is the key to everything in this hobby.

Please tell us more about the tank so that we may help in the best way possible.

P.S. Those aren't Pyjama Cardinals, they're Banggai (sp?) Cardinals.

Mxman38
03/11/2012, 07:08 PM
its a 55 gallon tank, the lfs that i go to specializes in fish/saltwater only. The people there all give me different advice, but after they sold me a blue hippo only for me to realize that was a terrible mistake, i am now making a 45 minute trip to a new fish store tomorrow for live rock. Its really hard to listen to them because they say never listen to people on forums, and they have been doing it for 10+ years yada yada.

anyway when i set up my tank in the first week of january, i used a bunch of live sand/bacteria booster/live rock.

I did look at the pic and it may be the flash, but it is actually brighter than 0ppm. Il admit i have been at .25 before but i cut back feeding to once a day and did a water change to drop it.

my goal is to add a few more lbs of live rock and do some more reefs, maybe a couple more fish... I just dont know what else i may need to support it. I just spent money on the calc. test kit and fluval filter (the lady at the lfs said she has had her fluval for 9 years in a reef tank no issues)?

docstomper
03/11/2012, 07:25 PM
Yep.. Never listen to the people who are telling you free information with no gain in profit.. They are out to get yah!

Offshore357
03/11/2012, 07:35 PM
I did look at the pic and it may be the flash, but it is actually brighter than 0ppm. Il admit i have been at .25 before but i cut back feeding to once a day and did a water change to drop it.

Wow, I was going to say almost .5

wonderz
03/11/2012, 08:05 PM
Not sure what you can do with the existing livestock since that's a lot of a new tank like others have mentioned. I would suggest get a some clean up crew (snails, etc) and doesn't look like you have SPS, you probably don't have to dose A/B unless there is really a need for it. And you should get a RO/DI unit which looks like you are looking into. It would save you some money in the long run compare to always buying water.

Rybren
03/11/2012, 08:11 PM
my goal is to add a few more lbs of live rock and do some more reefs, maybe a couple more fish...

You already have more fish than I do in my established and mature 75G system. If you want more fish, buy a bigger tank!

Adding more live rock would likely help support your bioload - IF IT IS CURED. If it's not cured and you add it to your system, you'll likely just add to your problems as the decaying stuff on the rock further taxes your biofilter.

anyway when i set up my tank in the first week of january, i used a bunch of live sand/bacteria booster/live rock

That might have helped the cycle, but your biofiltration needs to grow and mature slowly. Yours has gone too fast, I hope that your fluval can keep up and prevent any widespread deaths. Please, don't add any more fish.

SushiGirl
03/11/2012, 08:47 PM
You already have more fish than I do in my established and mature 75G system. If you want more fish, buy a bigger tank!

I agree. We have a 55 with 85 lbs of live rock and a sump and only have 3 fish (did have 4). 8 fish in a 55 is a lot.

Reefing Newbie
03/11/2012, 09:32 PM
Slow down and do some reading on the forums. We have no profit to gain by helping you with your tank like the LFS does. There are people on this site that have been reefing way more than 10 years. You are quite full and probably won't have low nitrates once your biofilter catches up. I started the cycling process on my 125 gallon tank the 1st of January (set up with rock and sand before that) and I got an instant cycle because of the 2yr old established rock I had in the tank. I still don't have any fish in the tank and won't for another two months.

I am redoing my sump and fuge so that I get more out of the filtration. There are many benefits to having a sump including a place to hide equipment, more places for reactor and skimmer pumps, and the ability to add a refugium. A refugium is one of my favorite parts. You reduce nitrate and phosphate keeping algae in the display to a minimum if anything is there. You also get lots of small pods growing in there to provide a natural food for your fish and corals. Note that you still need to stay on top of feeding your fish. IMO you should keep your current tank as a soft coral tank. Maybe some hardy LPS, but I would recommend you stay away from SPS. A sump with a high quality skimmer is needed for SPS and LPS (some are hardy enough to do with a basic skimmer).

guy9smiley2
03/11/2012, 09:39 PM
They are all very small fish though. For the most part. Both like he's adding tangs or anything of the sort that grow +4 inches. I do agree too fast and too many. But luckily not large fish. I would stick with it minus your damsels. That's just my opinion take those 2 out and keep the rest.

Reefing Newbie
03/11/2012, 09:48 PM
BTW in your second tank picture it appears that you have a zebra barred dartfish in the lower left corner under a rock. Is that what you think is a wrasse?

Mxman38
03/11/2012, 10:50 PM
They are all very small fish though. For the most part. Both like he's adding tangs or anything of the sort that grow +4 inches. I do agree too fast and too many. But luckily not large fish. I would stick with it minus your damsels. That's just my opinion take those 2 out and keep the rest.
yeah, i tried to catch my damsels and about threw my tank across the room... shy of taking everything out, i dont think its going to happen.

Adding more live rock would likely help support your bioload - IF IT IS CURED. If it's not cured and you add it to your system, you'll likely just add to your problems as the decaying stuff on the rock further taxes your biofilter.

That might have helped the cycle, but your biofiltration needs to grow and mature slowly. Yours has gone too fast, I hope that your fluval can keep up and prevent any widespread deaths. Please, don't add any more fish.
You gotta understand i had a store helping me through this so i trusted them. What i do know is that it was cured rock. I also read that the fish per gallon ratio was null and void in saltwater, so i never assumed i would have issues with 8 fish in my tank.

And you should get a RO/DI unit which looks like you are looking into. It would save you some money in the long run compare to always buying water.
Exactly, but my question is.. can i use an rodi unit on softened well water?

BTW in your second tank picture it appears that you have a zebra barred dartfish in the lower left corner under a rock. Is that what you think is a wrasse?
yeah, i knew it wasn't a wrasse i just forgot what it was called.

I have no problem doing a sump if i absolutely have too (just worries me since its not drilled), i dont know how to set it up, or what all goes into it. I imagine i have to throw out my hob skimmer/fluval, buy pumps, refugium, more lights for the fug, etc. i need to research what exactly i would need so i dont have to ask the lfs for any more advice.

wonderz
03/11/2012, 11:31 PM
Exactly, but my question is.. can i use an rodi unit on softened well water?

I don't think how soft or hard the water source would affect the rodi unit. As long as you can hook it up, it would be fine. Unless when you say well water, you actually mean that you have an actual well, and gotta pull a bucket out of it to get water, then I am not sure.

And I think everyone here are just trying to help, so don't take it offensively. Just don't get any more fishes and monitor your tank closely and be ready to do water changes.

todd141
03/12/2012, 06:23 AM
My 75 gallon isn't drilled either, so I went with a Lifereef overflow into my sump.
Never failed me once and always restarts. Just search for lifereef dot com. Stay away from the overflows that need a pump.

(My next tank will come reef ready. Trying to talk the wife into a bigger tank at least 150 gallons......)

I was also following "fish store people's advice" and I knew nothing at all - and I started with a fluval also almost 4 years ago. They didn't even mention a skimmer - I learned about them here. Anyways, I began reading here - everything I could - and for the most part, the advice here has always been top rate.

LaOtIn
03/12/2012, 07:47 AM
anyone that says they know everything doesnt know jack

any LFS that tells you that information on the net/forums is crap is wrong

dont waste your time with people like that, more importantly dont waste your money with them

you will get some great advice here and wet web is a great source as well

dont add anymore fish for a white, if ever, you dont want to over populate your tank.

more rock is always a good thing, make sure its cured and you buy it from a running system

ezerasurfr
03/12/2012, 08:02 AM
Your fluval will become a death trap for your bioload very quickly. You will need to clean it at least once per week and change media almost as often. The costs will add up VERY quickly. With a stock 55L, I would run an eshopps HOB PSK100 skimmer. It works very well on that tank. Save the fluval to run carbon only.

In regards to your stand; you can put a sump in it, but you need to take the top off of it first. I would take everyone's advice and slow down. Start saving your cash and plan out how you want your tank to be. Build a new stand, prepare for a sump, plan your equipment and figure out what fish/corals you want to keep.

Mxman38
03/12/2012, 12:36 PM
Thanks guys, I really would hate to remove the whole tank and stand to install a sump.....is it possible to just run carbon through the fluval, use my skimmer, and add a refuge?

tkeracer619
03/12/2012, 12:52 PM
RO run after a softener will usually last longer and produce more water IIRC.

Don't need a sump. There are ways to add one without drilling that will be as safe (or very close) as a plumbed tank should you choose to add one.

I would leave the tank as is and focus on your husbandry skills. Keep things clean and you will be just fine.

Mxman38
03/12/2012, 04:13 PM
thanks alot guys, i just bought 12 lbs of cured rock today, a couple crabs, and a dkh test kit.

miyzfrider
03/12/2012, 06:50 PM
Just to clarify for you, yes, you can run an RO/DI system on softened well water. It's actually a better option than tap water. Well water won't have chlorine in it so your RO membrane will be safe. If you have chlorine in water you have to use carbon ahead of the membrane or else it will be damaged quickly. And if you run unsoftened water through the RO membrane, you'll shorten its life dramatically due to the scaling nature of the minerals in most well water.

I run an RO system off my well, after my softener and have for years.

sporto0
03/12/2012, 08:31 PM
Your fluval will become a death trap for your bioload very quickly. You will need to clean it at least once per week and change media almost as often. The costs will add up VERY quickly. With a stock 55L, I would run an eshopps HOB PSK100 skimmer. It works very well on that tank. Save the fluval to run carbon only.

In regards to your stand; you can put a sump in it, but you need to take the top off of it first. I would take everyone's advice and slow down. Start saving your cash and plan out how you want your tank to be. Build a new stand, prepare for a sump, plan your equipment and figure out what fish/corals you want to keep.

"Your fluval will become a death trap for your bioload very quickly. "

What are you talking about? Deathtrap?
Your Bio-Load is fish waste & uneaten food, how is the Fluval a deathtrap for something that is not alive?

This is the kind of misinformation that gets spread on this forum.
You will not have to change out the media once a week, or clean out the canister once a week. Rinse any sponges every week or two, rinse out media & canister every 4-6 months & you will be fine, they work great for mechanical filtration.

Sport507
03/12/2012, 08:35 PM
"your fluval will become a death trap for your bioload very quickly. "

what are you talking about? Deathtrap?

This is the kind of misinformation that gets spread on this forum.
You will not have to change out the media once a week, or clean out the canister once a week. Rinse any sponges every week or two, rinse out media & canister every 4-6 months & you will be fine, they work great for mechanical filtration.

+1

sporto0
03/12/2012, 08:40 PM
+1

Hey Sport, try"......." @yahoo.com

Rytek
03/12/2012, 08:51 PM
I so get what you mean about your tank and going to a LFS. Don't feel bad, you trusted them and as far as they know they are pretty smart. But the people on these forums are some very capable people who do some amazing things that keep the bar high for those in this hobby.

I started off reading some books about keeping saltwater tanks. You know, published stuff that gets fact checked by other accredited people in their respective fields. That is if you buy a book written by a respected person. Reading first will give you a "filter" if you will, so that you can spot bad advice and not fully rely on here say. Point is, this forum is really great and I am glad you found us.

I run a sump on a non drilled tank. It's SO easy to do and SUPER fun. You prolly just feel like you have taken in so much that having to Lear about all that sump stuff is just something you would rather avoid. Well, just take a step back, breath, get a book and just read and give it time.

As for the immediate, yes man, slow your roll on the live stock additions. -but me thinks your catching what we are laying down ;)